PDA

View Full Version : specs vs real world

jvp
07-31-2011, 08:30 PM
well I finally met my match in asheville nc this weekend, I got shut down trying to climb elk mtn. rd up to the parkway. Partly due to heat (90+), partly due to the sustained steepness, and partly due to lack of low gears. I had to stop once about halfway up the ~5 mile climb, and again at the top, both times to cool down the reactors and recoverate (I made up that word!). Anyway I run dura ace 8 speed sti, 53/39 and ~12/26. Sutherlands says my total gear capacity is 26, and my max cog capacity is 26t. I think a 28t cog would make a difference but will it work? Do I need a different rear derailleur to run a 28t or can I stretch the capacity a little? Btw once I hit the parkway the hills were a breeze in comparison!

rustychisel
07-31-2011, 09:21 PM
I can commiserate.

2005 on Mt Ventoux on a borrowed bike with 39 x 25 on a 39ºC day. Got up the the chalet and I was fried. Shame, that.

Pete Serotta
08-01-2011, 06:53 AM
I think there is a high probability the 28 will work. Liberty Cycle in Asheville is a wonderful shop that has been in business a long time. Stop by and she MIKE or SAM and ask them. Tell them that PETE from RALEIGH and SEROTTA said go there for advise.

PETE

skijoring
08-01-2011, 07:08 AM
I think you could comfortably push that rear derailleur to a 12-30. Just take care in setting it up, chain length, b-screw, etc. Get up that hill! 8 speed cassettes are still out there, just not high-end stuff. They are porky, but those gears come in handy.

You can also sub in a 38-tooth chainring up front.

jvp
08-01-2011, 07:42 AM
Thanks. I thought I had seen before that a 28t would work, but I wanted to make sure before I bought one. I am also considering a compact crank, but that would cost more $. I live in Raleigh so the current gearing is fine for around here. I have done that loop in Asheville several times no problems, but always CCW, this was the first time CW.

oldpotatoe
08-01-2011, 07:42 AM
well I finally met my match in asheville nc this weekend, I got shut down trying to climb elk mtn. rd up to the parkway. Partly due to heat (90+), partly due to the sustained steepness, and partly due to lack of low gears. I had to stop once about halfway up the ~5 mile climb, and again at the top, both times to cool down the reactors and recoverate (I made up that word!). Anyway I run dura ace 8 speed sti, 53/39 and ~12/26. Sutherlands says my total gear capacity is 26, and my max cog capacity is 26t. I think a 28t cog would make a difference but will it work? Do I need a different rear derailleur to run a 28t or can I stretch the capacity a little? Btw once I hit the parkway the hills were a breeze in comparison!

I've installed a 13-30 8s on that setup w/o a new rear der...a 12-28 or so would work fine.