PDA

View Full Version : Why I do it

Smiley
07-31-2011, 06:07 PM
Bike fits that is, for exactly what Mrs Rugby said to me today about her new Bedford....PRICELESS :)

Nobody that likes the sport of cycling should be left to endure a poor fit and have their equipment hold them back. I will want to see Mrs Rugby next year and see what progress she has made. I think she will be very happy now riding with Rugby and enjoying cycling family time more and more. Thanks Rugby clan :)

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=94212

jr59
07-31-2011, 06:38 PM
Good on you mate!

:beer:

If you only lived about 1000 miles closer! :confused:

Fishbike
07-31-2011, 07:30 PM
What did she say?

Smiley
07-31-2011, 07:56 PM
What did she say?

She never felt as plant or centered on a bike like she is now. I know she will do things with this bike that she never thought possible, like decend like a banshee on rails. No knee or back pains, just great feedback that will only get better.
One must remember that when you correct a bad fit to a good one, the body knows right away and the brain adapts quickly to what feels really good, no going back anymore.

rugbysecondrow
07-31-2011, 08:13 PM
On her first ride, she felt a difference. Before, her fitness as well as her bike was an obstacle, and frankly her fitness never got much better because she only rode enough to finish a triathlon...she did not enjoy it. Today, after a proper fit and straddling her custom ride, it was just her fitness, she was able to just ride. I would equate it to wearing shoes that are ill fitting, then trying to be a runner. If I had to wear shoes a size too big or a size to small, that would not encourage me to run more, in fact I might quite running all together. Having a proper fitting bike is necessary for one to enjoy riding, it is a liberating feeling, trust me.

In addition, no knee, shoulder or wrist pain, no more being scared because she can't reach the brakes well, no more worrying about standover, it is her bike, built for and she can just focus on being a better rider.

She is very happy and she enjoyed working with Smiley. This bike, as she views it, is not the destination but the journey. She wants to ride more and looks forward to does so in comfort, then visiting Smiley in the fall after her first century.

Thanks Smiley!

Jack Brunk
07-31-2011, 09:36 PM
Awesome stuff. I think Smiley needs to do a traveling clinic and I'm sure there's enough people around the country who could use his services.

roguedog
07-31-2011, 09:46 PM
Exactly.

I was thinking that it's too bad we don't have you out west when Rugby described what you did w/ the extension. That was awesome.

I loved it for the forethought and because you are thinking about the _rider_, their needs andf their path as they evolve as a rider. You are not just putting a body into the "proper" racing position which I think all too often is the case. It's like they listen but do not HEAR or SEE, for that matter. :confused:

Well done.

Pete Serotta
08-01-2011, 06:49 AM
He is in that top tier of fitters, which are less than a dozen in my way of measuring. East coast" is the only one I really know.

He has lots of experience, He is not older than dirt like me but he is the "Professor" in my view of a perfect fitting for the rider needs

WE do disagree on MAVIC wheels though for I am biased toward them and he used to like F1 forks (which I was not crazy about once the F2 came out :D

PETE

Ahneida Ride
08-01-2011, 10:57 AM
We need to perform "fractional reserve" fitting on Smiley ...

Then we could create 9 Smiley's outta thin air.
for a grand total of 10 Smileys !
Everyone get's a Smiley !
Impossible you say ? who cares, in the database, 10 Smiley's exist.
:banana:

Sound preposterous? the banks do it and it's all legal !

tiretrax
08-01-2011, 02:17 PM
has a beautiful bike. I hope her fitness improves and she rides it a lot. In the event that she doesn't, it looks like the right size for my wife!

Enjoy it, Mrs. Rugby!

FixedNotBroken
08-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Smiley-

Could you recommend a fitter on the west coast? Especially the northwest?

jr59
08-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Awesome stuff. I think Smiley needs to do a traveling clinic and I'm sure there's enough people around the country who could use his services.

agree with this 100%

Ahneida Ride
08-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Smiley fixed me up real quick ..

Cleat adjustment .... stem change... Butched Brooks ..

WOW !

The guy know his stuff.