PDA

View Full Version : .

cat6
07-31-2011, 01:46 PM
The Gateway District is a large open air retail, residential and office complex in Salt Lake City, Utah, United States. The complex is centered around the historic Union Pacific Depot in downtown Salt Lake City. It currently contains over 105 stores and restaurants.

fourflys
07-31-2011, 01:57 PM
where in SoCal are you? I'm in the North San Diego area...

Chris

Karin Kirk
07-31-2011, 02:07 PM
Sorry to hear about your tough day. Don't give up mountain biking. You took on a few too many new variables all at once, which isn't the best way to get yourself started. Any new endeavor has some share of risk and uncomfortable moments. But by taking it one step at a time you can really minimize that.

I'd say ride some mellow terrain and get used to the pedals and bike first. Once that is a bit boring, then increase the technical difficulty of the trails. A decade is a long time to be off the MTB. The skills will return, but not instantly. Give yourself a little time. And buy some bandaids next time you go to the store, just in case.

palincss
07-31-2011, 02:30 PM
Are you clipped in when you ride your road bike? Is the exit motion significantly different with the new MTB pedals than it is on your road bike?

Derailer
07-31-2011, 02:36 PM
I had a similar first MTB ride. My second ride was on a beginner trail that I stuck with for a while. I grew my skills and confidence on that trail by learning to ride the optional obstacles. Then I moved on to more advanced trails. This progression suited me very well, and I never had another ride that was as painful or bloody as the first one.

mgd
07-31-2011, 02:39 PM
yep, this brings back memories of the mid- to late-90's when oodles of folks were making the transition to mountain bike clipless pedals. pretty much standard on the first ride was the 0-speed fall-over on the climb when they couldn't get their feet out. pretty funny, actually, as long as you aren't the one falling over, cause you know it's coming as inevitable as the sunset, and most of time it results only in the ego bruise.

seemed like the folks who had extensive road bike clipless experience did it once, and the ones who didn't maybe twice or 3 times. the odd mr. cranky had to be talked out of giving up on them. everybody got good pretty quickly.

regardless, you will get it. it's as easy as falling off a bike.

GregL
07-31-2011, 02:42 PM
Keep at it! MTB riding has the potential to make you a better road rider. You'll develop a better spin from climbing loose dirt. Your road descending skills will improve after learning how to clean rocky trails. You will feel comfortable when you get sideways. You'll be able to bunnyhop road obstacles more easily. Heck, I bunnyhopped a rider who went down in front of me in a road race. Just grow your MTB skills at a pace you are comfortable with, don't try to rush it. Good luck!

- Greg

firerescuefin
07-31-2011, 03:12 PM
Keep at it! MTB riding has the potential to make you a better road rider. You'll develop a better spin from climbing loose dirt. Your road descending skills will improve after learning how to clean rocky trails. You will feel comfortable when you get sideways. You'll be able to bunnyhop road obstacles more easily. Heck, I bunnyhopped a rider who went down in front of me in a road race. Just grow your MTB skills at a pace you are comfortable with, don't try to rush it. Good luck!

- Greg

All very good replies. I started on MTBs and had your same experiences, just did not have anything to baseline them against. My MTB skills have kept me safe on the road countless times. I echo Greg's sentiments...can't imagine not having them.

I just want to make sure you are not using spd cleats and crank brothers pedals, because they look fairly similar and you would not be the first I have seen trying to pull if off....your OP is a little confusing in this regard. Pressures and tires for terrains is especially important. LBS would be my go to for input on both (based on your size and general type of terrain)

cat6
07-31-2011, 03:25 PM
where in SoCal are you? I'm in the North San Diego area...

Chris

I'm in Pasadena.

cat6
07-31-2011, 03:26 PM
I just want to make sure you are not using spd cleats and crank brothers pedals, because they look fairly similar and you would not be the first I have seen trying to pull if off....your OP is a little confusing in this regard.

sorry for the confusion....i'm using the proper cleats.

pdmtong
07-31-2011, 03:39 PM
Riding dirt can take you to some amazing places...all without the cars and exhaust.But, as you found out, there is a lot more to it than just putting your head down and pedalling.

Stay with it. we've all fallen. On some of the steep stuff you need to carry speed to get through and roll over things...slowing down actually makes the situation worse.

I was once coming around a curve when an idiot appeared directly in my lane as he tried to pass some cyclists coming the other way. I locked the back end and started fishtailing...if it wasn't for knowing how that feels on an mtb I am sure I would have gone down hard and gotten run over.

vqdriver
07-31-2011, 03:42 PM
i'm in almost exactly the same situation as you, including the trails since i'm in the pasadena as well. i assume you were in the fireroad circuit around the jpl/descanso area. after more than 10 years i also picked up mtb again, minus the bumps and bruises, but i wasn't as daring as you on my first outing.

i say stick with it. boring, grinding, obscenely steep climbs highlighted by a few seconds of sheer fright while fighting the urge to brake. it's fun as hell and i really appreciate the stop and go nature of it as opposed to the constant pedaling of the road. it's a cool change of pace and an odd twist on the way i see my own town.

HenryA
07-31-2011, 03:53 PM
Sorry to hear about your tough day. Don't give up mountain biking. You took on a few too many new variables all at once, which isn't the best way to get yourself started. Any new endeavor has some share of risk and uncomfortable moments. But by taking it one step at a time you can really minimize that.

I'd say ride some mellow terrain and get used to the pedals and bike first. Once that is a bit boring, then increase the technical difficulty of the trails. A decade is a long time to be off the MTB. The skills will return, but not instantly. Give yourself a little time. And buy some bandaids next time you go to the store, just in case.

Read what Karen wrote a few times, then follow directions.
Just don't bite off too much at first and you will be OK.
And there is no shame in walking something that looks a little scary.

fourflys
07-31-2011, 04:09 PM
And there is no shame in walking something that looks a little scary.

exactly... I'm not into the big drops that seem to built into some of the trails around here so I just dismount and walk...

OP- if you are in Pasadena, check out the the Wednesday night MTB races and the upcoming SoCal Cross season... nothing like cross racing to improve both your on and off-road bike handling skills... I believe the Pasadena Athletic Association (PAA) has a pretty good cross team and maybe MTB team... I'm sure they have someone who would do some rides with you at your ability...

Scott Shire
07-31-2011, 05:08 PM

- Greg

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Hogwash. i can't think of a single example in which a MTB racer ever had any success on the road.
http://www.thinkbike.ie/Images/cadelevans2001.jpg

mgm777
07-31-2011, 05:12 PM
CAT6 - I read your post and chuckled to myself just a little bit. I have a mtb 29er, but rarely ride it. The past few weeks, to mix thing up a bit, and to avoid my annual late summer road bike burnout, I started riding the mtb more and more. Today, I am limping around the house because yesterday, just like the previous three mtb rides, I crashed. I wish I could say I was bombing down some gnarly single track and crashed after launching off a 16 foot wall. The reality is I toppled over, all by myself, going slow over a slow rocky section and was unable to unclip fast enough to save myself. Messed up my right ankle and hyper extended my right thumb. Today, to redeem myself, I got back on my sissy road bike and climbed Flagstaff in 98 degree heat. Had a little difficulty using the Campy thumb shifter with my right hand. I am such a wuss. I too was considering just selling the mtb cause it is too darn dangerous. I thought I would cash in my mtb chips, lick my wounds, have a classifieds fire sale, and take my chances with the drunk, texting, weaving, distracted drivers on the roads. Thankfully, after a couple of ibuprofen, I started thinking more clearly and have decided it's just another challenge to regain my proficiency on my mtb. Hang in there, you will get the hang of it. It's a whole different cycling discipline and just as fun.

radsmd
07-31-2011, 05:35 PM
MTB is fun for the change of pace. It indeed can be dangerous, that is why I only ride on the trails with a buddy or a group of friends. Don't want to crash and lay there bleeding on the side of the mountain, waiting for the bobcats and rattlesnakes... wait a minute, mountain biking is fun, mountain biking is fun, mount... ;)

crownjewelwl
07-31-2011, 05:38 PM
when i told my wife, she replied "are you f'ing crazy? mountain biking is dangerous!!" i haven't been on a mtb since high school and my only real memory is endo'ing and putting a dent in the top tube on my first ride.

when i first read your post, i began to second guess my decision. but i recalled that when i first got my road bike it wasn't as simple as just pedaling. sure there aren't rocks, trees, and drops but there are certainly other obstacles (e.g., potholes, gravel, glass, and CARS!!!).

perhaps you went out too hard your first time? i'm plan on taking it nice and easy. hopefully my ego doesn't derail my plan...

keep us posted!

Ken Robb
07-31-2011, 06:05 PM
I agree that you should work into tougher rides slowly, it's ok to walk when you doubt your ability to clean a section, don't ride anything gnarly alone, and (here's the hard one) SPEED is YOUR FRIEND many times. You will come to scary sections where you're not sure you can make it. The ones that get me are little arroyos that need to be crossed with loose rocky soil. I KNOW I have to carry more speed on the downside than I would prefer so I have enough momentum to make the climb on the other side. Sometimes I end up riding down carefully and carrying the bike up the other side because I can't convince myself to just go for it. It's probably the wisdom of age. :)

Richard
07-31-2011, 06:06 PM
Other than starting on easier terrain, the most important advice for lower skilled mtbers is to look where you want to go, never look at what you want to avoid or you'll surely hit it. The corollary is to look far up (or down) the trail, not where your wheels are, but where they need to go. This will allow you to ride smoothly, set up for terrain and turns early and not ride in a mistake, correct, overcorrect, next mistake, fall mode (if this makes any sense).

slowgoing
07-31-2011, 06:17 PM
Get some platform pedals to take that factor out of the equation. Learn the basic MTB skills slowly, one step at a time, don't try to do a trail before you have the skills necessary to finish it. If you do things right, it can be a lot of fun and very fulfulling. If you don't, it can be dangerous.

Don't stop though. You can see sights mtbiking you can never see any other way - that's what keeps me going. And mtb fitness is much different from road bike fitness. Not better or worse, just different.

Jack Brunk
07-31-2011, 07:19 PM
when i told my wife, she replied "are you f'ing crazy? mountain biking is dangerous!!" i haven't been on a mtb since high school and my only real memory is endo'ing and putting a dent in the top tube on my first ride.

when i first read your post, i began to second guess my decision. but i recalled that when i first got my road bike it wasn't as simple as just pedaling. sure there aren't rocks, trees, and drops but there are certainly other obstacles (e.g., potholes, gravel, glass, and CARS!!!).

perhaps you went out too hard your first time? i'm plan on taking it nice and easy. hopefully my ego doesn't derail my plan...

keep us posted!
Were good to go on the parts. I'll email you tomorrow.

Fixed
07-31-2011, 08:09 PM
beginner rides with good roadies gets dropped
beginner rides with good mt bikers gets hurt
cheers