PDA

View Full Version : Sad end to local crit crash

Louis
07-30-2011, 11:58 PM
About a month ago we had a crash (actually there were several) in a local crit and Randy Gillespie, one of the Team Mack racers from the Chicago area, hit his head pretty badly. In fact, he's been in a coma ever since.

It turns out that he's been deteriorating and now has only lower brain stem function (heart, lungs, etc.) and his wife has decided to remove the feeding tube. Others in the family don't agree, so a tough situation has become even worse.

Link to St Louis forum thread (http://stlbiking.com/forum/index.php/topic/27387-webster-cat-5-crash/)

The start of the thread above is kind of confusing, because folks begin with discussions of more than just one crash.

Moral of the story: Let your entire family know in no uncertain terms how you want this sort of situation handled if it happens to you.

stephenmarklay
07-31-2011, 05:58 AM
very sad.

jghall
07-31-2011, 08:17 AM
Agreed, very sad. Thoughts and prayers to the families.

Fixed
07-31-2011, 08:30 AM
sad news indeed
tough for his wife

gone
07-31-2011, 08:51 AM
Moral of the story: Let your entire family know in no uncertain terms how you want this sort of situation handled if it happens to you.
I don't want to derail the thread but although this is good advice, it's not sufficient. My Mother is in the hospital. She has made it clear - for years - that she doesn't want extraordinary means taken to preserve her life. The Doctors wanted to install a feeding tube. My sister (who is a nurse) said "that's not what she wants". The response was "do you have medical power of attorney?". When my sister replied "no", they pretty much did what they thought "was best".

In fairness to them, I can understand the dilemma. My sister might say "no feeding tube", my Mother passes and I sue them because I would have made a different decision (in this case, I wouldn't have).

Moral of the story: make your wishes known, but also put them in writing.

Ray
07-31-2011, 09:06 AM
Absolutely - communicate them in every way you can while you can. We went through it with my Dad several years ago, and fortunately he had been very clear with his docs, with my brother and sister and I, and had put it all in writing. So when the time came to withhold further treatment and just treat him to make him comfortable, there was no confusion - even if one of us may have had different feelings, there was no doubt what my father wanted. And got.

-Ray

thwart
07-31-2011, 09:47 AM
Absolutely agree... although very, very few folks do this in the bike-racing age group.

It's something that most think of at around age 70 or so, when the specter of one's mortality is in clear focus.

And with all the nonsensical hubbub about death panels recently, a realistic view of death and dying in this country took a huge hit.

Dekonick
07-31-2011, 08:56 PM
This is more important than you realize...

Not only your medical wishes... but have a proper will drawn up with instructions. Young, old... is doesn't matter.

Brain injuries are so unpredictable... but I would rather err on the side of dignified death and parting my bits to save others... than to live my life on a vent with TPN... no thanks.

anexetastos
07-31-2011, 09:15 PM
I don't want to derail the thread but although this is good advice, it's not sufficient. My Mother is in the hospital. She has made it clear - for years - that she doesn't want extraordinary means taken to preserve her life. The Doctors wanted to install a feeding tube. My sister (who is a nurse) said "that's not what she wants". The response was "do you have medical power of attorney?". When my sister replied "no", they pretty much did what they thought "was best".

In fairness to them, I can understand the dilemma. My sister might say "no feeding tube", my Mother passes and I sue them because I would have made a different decision (in this case, I wouldn't have).

Get a Health Care Power of Attorney, or a living will. In most jurisdictions, the format for these documents is statutory so there are no disputes as to sufficiency when you present it. It usually takes an attorney about thirty minutes to craft these to fit your requirements, 30 minutes for you to have it explained and execute it, and you're done. put an original in the safe deposit box, give an original to the person with authority to act, and let your attorney keep an original. That way, you have fail-safes. Just do it. Accidents happen, friends. While you're at it, have the same att'y draft a simple will and testament if you have one yet. when we do the whole package (HCPOA, Durable Power of Attorney, and a will) for a flat fee of $650 to $800, and this is extremely reasonable. Do the same wherever you are, and you don't run into the problem that "ghsmith54" is running into. Skip next Tuesday's local World Championship ride and set an appointment for counseling instead.