PDA

View Full Version : Co-Motion

FixedNotBroken
07-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Is anyone very familiar with Co-Motion cycles? I know they are based out of Oregon but it seems that their top notch road frame is Aluminum? They do custom stuff but do they use a higher quality aluminum? I don't know much about them but any insight would be helpful.

Smiley
07-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Great company very well known for their Tandems and Touring road bikes. Yes they work well with Easton 7005 series aluminum for their tandems but I did not know if they do that in road bikes. I know they build custom for $500 extra for any bike or tandem.

FixedNotBroken
07-30-2011, 12:59 PM
They use that in their road bikes as well. I am looking at the Ristretto, sweet looking ride.

ORMojo
07-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Is anyone very familiar with Co-Motion cycles? I know they are based out of Oregon but it seems that their top notch road frame is Aluminum? They do custom stuff but do they use a higher quality aluminum? I don't know much about them but any insight would be helpful.

I'm not sure about very familiar, but they are only a matter of miles from where I live, and I've visited them several times and have owned a couple of their bikes (all steel), none right now.

Last I checked, most of their frames were steel, and 3 out of the 4 models they consider "road" models, including the top one, are Reynolds 853.

Very, very nice bikes. Solid. Great people. Very highly regarding locally as a company.

FixedNotBroken
07-30-2011, 01:10 PM
I'm not sure about very familiar, but they are only a matter of miles from where I live, and I've visited them several times and have owned a couple of their bikes (all steel), none right now.

Last I checked, most of their frames were steel, and 3 out of the 4 models they consider "road" models, including the top one, are Reynolds 853.

Very, very nice bikes. Solid. Great people. Very highly regarding locally as a company.

I believe their top road frame that I just checked was 7005 aluminum. At least that's what the website says. Which frame model is their top end road?

ORMojo
07-30-2011, 01:16 PM
I believe their top road frame that I just checked was 7005 aluminum. At least that's what the website says. Which frame model is their top end road?

Nope, you are correct. I hadn't checked the line-up/pricing/etc in a while, but they are currently positioning the Ristretto as their top road frame. And I like some of the improvements I see they have made to this year's model.

Anyway, at least they are still building steel. I really liked my Espresso and S&S Americano. A lot of people around here swear by their tandems, triplets . . . and on up.

gpw19
07-30-2011, 01:28 PM
I suppose the Ristretto would be considered there top end performance road bike, it's there lightest and stiffest model, and includes features like an oversized headtube. As mentioned above Co-motion is best known for there tandem and touring bikes, and from looking at there line-up of bikes that is there focus. The Nor'wester and Espresso are more light-duty touring bikes than full on road/race bikes.

skijoring
07-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Seen today:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56666330@N00/5990898547/in/photostream/lightbox/

All steel baby

gasman
07-30-2011, 01:47 PM
I live just a few miles from them and currently own their steel cross bike-the Demon but with a steel fork they built and I had it filet-brazed. I use it as my daily commuter and for the few cross races I can make locally.It handles like a dream. Their Ristretto is an aluminum race machine and the espresso is the steel counterpart.
They are very easy to work with and very knowledgeable. You see a lot of their bikes around here-obviously. They can do whatever you want but their stock offerings are made in enough sizes to fit almost anyone.

pdmtong
07-30-2011, 02:03 PM
If you want a metal road tandem - look no further than co-motion

palincss
07-30-2011, 03:25 PM
Co-Motion are one of the top tandem builders in the world. Their quality of workmanship is absolutely first class. They also do touring bikes. If your question is, are they a reputable firm, answer is an unqualified yes. Beyond that, you need to look at the sort of bikes they do and ask yourself how closely their vision matches yours.

firerescuefin
07-30-2011, 04:42 PM
you need to look at the sort of bikes they do and ask yourself how closely their vision matches yours.

This

PaMtbRider
07-30-2011, 04:59 PM
I have a tandem and a S&S Nor'wester by Co-motion. If your looking for a credit card touring bike, or anything with couplers it is hard to beat the value of a Co-motion.

BengeBoy
07-30-2011, 05:07 PM
I have looked over Co-motions a number of times at bike shows and bike shops here in the Pacific Northwest, and have had the opportunity to chat with a number of the owners. They seem to be top-notch bikes to me. One of the things I really like about their line is that they have a very smart line-up of single bikes -- from very racy styles (like the aluminum Ristretto), all the way through all-weather road bikes (the Nor'Wester), a lighter-weight touring bike (the Nor'wester Tour), heavy duty touring bikes (the Americano) to very-heavy weight touring bikes (the Pangea). You can get their touring bikes with or without disk brakes; with our without couplers; and as of a couple of years ago they offer Rohloff hubs on a couple of their models:

Here's a really detailed write-up of a visit to their facilities in Eugene, from www.crazyguyonabike.com:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1r4vFZo&doc_id=6238&v=6B

FixedNotBroken
07-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Thanks Benge. I am looking at the Ristretto! It looks like a sweet ride along with stiff and very compliant.

BengeBoy
07-30-2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks Benge. I am looking at the Ristretto! It looks like a sweet ride along with stiff and very compliant.

I hadn't noticed you were in Seattle...you might chat w/the folks at Counterbalance Cycles on the Burke-Gilman trail near U-Village. I haven't been in there for awhile, but typically they've got a couple of Co-Motion's in the shops. Also, Co-Motion is at the Seattle Bike Expo every year, and will be showing again at the Oregon handmade bike show if you can wait that long:

http://oregonhandmadebicycleshow.com/exhibitors/

If you're looking at the Ristretto, might also want to look at their Espresso...similar geometry, a bit heavier, in steel...

Spinner
07-31-2011, 08:21 AM
... mine is a steel tandem, the Co-Pilot, and the quality of the build is obvious, in the look and in the ride. My neighbor has a Co-Mo single that he swears by.

Dwan and crew at Co-Mo are first-rate and easy to deal with; they are customer-centric.

yashcha
07-31-2011, 08:40 AM
I always feel bad about posting a negative review since I am sure the people at Co-Motion are really good people, but I thought it was important to share my experience.

I ordered my frame almost 4 years ago, so things may have improved quite a bit, but my frame was about 4 months delayed, and sadly when I did get the frame, the TT was off by 2cm so I had to send it back and have it rebuit which took another couple of months. At about the same time, My friend ordered a tandem so that they could ride off on it on their wedding day, but the frame also came in months after their wedding.

I do love the paint, quality, and worksmanship of the frame, but I was disappointed in the delays.

John M
07-31-2011, 08:53 AM
When I think of Co-motion, I think of tandems and S&S coupled bikes. Good quality for the price.

Fixed
07-31-2011, 09:00 AM
they can build a fine bike
imho
cheers

jamesutiopia
07-31-2011, 01:17 PM
They do great work and can turn around an order in weeks rather than months (~7 weeks to deliver to the East Coast, ordered about this time last summer). If you don't want your new frame quite so decorated with their logos the "reduced decals" option is no extra cost...

They machine a lot of their own parts, so the resulting frame is pretty unique. On my steel Americano Rohloff the dropouts, steerer tube, head tube, BB shell & eccentric, and seatpost collar are all custom machined. Stays in rear end are dramatically shaped and appear to be Co-Motion specific. Paint options are simple but very nicely done.

They will not do highly customized frames-- custom fittings (e.g. cable routing, bottle bosses, rack mounts, etc.) and geometry are the limit. No tubing requests, 650B bikes, track bikes, front-loading porteurs with 1" steerers, etc.

They are great to work with over email, and you will probably correspond with the owner directly

William
07-31-2011, 01:53 PM
I just learned that my old cycling team at my Alma Mater is talking with them about building up team bikes for the coming season. Glad to see it because Co-mo's rock!! :cool:

William

FixedNotBroken
07-31-2011, 02:01 PM
I just learned that my old cycling team at my Alma Mater is talking with them about building up team bikes for the coming season. Glad to see it because Co-mo's rock!! :cool:

William

What is your Alma Mater?

flydhest
07-31-2011, 02:25 PM
I will chime in. I have owned two different Co-motion tandems. Both were fantastic. The bikes were well designed and well built. Both were steel, though.

I would have complete faith in the company.

FixedNotBroken
07-31-2011, 02:27 PM
I am not looking at tandems at all..I am checking out the singles. I hear their tandems are fantastic.

gasman
07-31-2011, 04:04 PM
I am not looking at tandems at all..I am checking out the singles. I hear their tandems are fantastic.

Their singles are fantastic also. Dwan has years of design experience.

William
07-31-2011, 06:47 PM
What is your Alma Mater?

OSU :banana:

William

sashae
07-31-2011, 07:41 PM
I've owned two Co-Motion singles, a Nor'Wester and a Nor'Wester Rohloff (which I had built custom.) I cannot say enough nice things about the company, and how easy Dwan was to work with, and how happy I am with the bikes. Had a nice family ride with the kid seat on the back today over the GWB from NYC, beautiful bike, great day...