PDA

View Full Version : Ride reports, peoples?

Tom
07-05-2005, 08:47 AM
- Nothing of note last week... an extra day off and a lot of gardening done. About 175 miles Sun-Sat 7/2.

- Sunday 7/3 rode a local century hosted by a local couple - he the chief wrench at a local shop, she a pretty good ultradistance cyclist. Side note: 24 hour races boggle my mind. I've worked that kind of a shift and I simply can't imagine riding a bike that long at one go. No way. Anyway, a good ride on a nice day but I didn't drink nearly enough and was a touch cranky by the end of it.

- July 4th went around the river with Karen. We don't ride together enough.

Ah, yes. The real reason I started this thread: I get to be the boastful uncle! My neice finished solidly in the middle of the Cat 3 group in Fitchburg... 19th of 40 finishers. I haven't talked to her yet so I don't know how she feels about it but I think that's pretty damn good. I don't know if it makes any difference but she was the youngest in the group by a couple of years at least. Very cool.

dirtdigger88
07-05-2005, 09:42 AM
during the week was nothing special- my usual morning rides- too short- too early in the morning- but Saturday and Sunday were totally different-

We went to Mark Twain Lake in central Mo. The lake is an Army Core Lake (very large man made- for those who dont know what core lakes are) Core lakes are different in one aspect- the land around the lake is government owned- not privately owned- so the lake can be a peaceful lake not a place to show off you million dollar lake house- the area around the lake stays very rural and pleasant

Saturday I did 50 miles solo through rolling hills and wonderful country side- The roads were smooth and traffic was not to be seen- I felt like I was a Douglas' house. I did get a bit outside of my comfort level- I am not sure if it was the location- the beauty- the fact that it is the beginning of July- I came back with an average of 21.2 mph- I was damn pleased

Sunday was a bit different- Like I said before I got a bit outside of my bounds- Sunday came and my legs were killing me!!!!!! I had to streatch for 15 minutes just to get moving in the morning- BUT- I was surrounded my this great landscape- I was not going to skip Sundays ride. I did 45 miles of like scenery but this time I was rolling through a bunch of small towns- It was very unique. One town had a population of 45 (yes 45!!) The people all waved hi as I passed-the moved way over on the road to give me plenty of room. Hell one guy even had me stop and eat a piece of watermellon with his family. He said I looked like I could use it.

Sundays ride really brought a smile to me. My wife and I talked about it on the way back to St. Louis- there is a lot to be said for small town Amercia. The people seem more real- more honest- maybe more careing. I am not sure what it is- but I can honestly say there could have been no better place to be riding on the Fourth of July then where I was

Jason

Too Tall
07-05-2005, 10:29 AM
Mon - Easy sleazy to and from work, lazy on the bike
Tue - 6 X 3 hill repeats, 1.5 hrs. endurance
Wed - Short bursts .30 second and small ring sprints
Thurs - 5 min. TT and 1.5 hrs. endurance
Fryday - nada
Sat. - 10mile TT in the am. 26mph pace was all I had in me. good for 17th place. Crit that afternoon
Sun - Morning crit

bedeh bedeh bedeh bedeh bedeh That's all folks.

chrisroph
07-05-2005, 01:11 PM
Sunday--Snowmass Village to Leadville, 73 miles. The ride started with a short 14% grade, then a descent into Aspen, then about a 28 mile climb over Independence Pass. It was like riding on the moon for someone who lives at 60' above sea level. The ride brought back many memories of my colege days in Colorado.

Monday--Woke up in Leadville with a lot of ice on the tent then rode to Salida, 59 miles, net 3000' elevation loss, 2:40, average speed 23mph.

Tuesday--Salida to Crested Butte, over Monarch Pass, more boring than Independence, 92 miles, net gain of 2000', but Crested Butte is one of the greatest of towns to hang around in for a couple of days.

Wednesday--10 mile spin on the day off in Crested Butte.

Thursday--Crested Butte to Hotchkiss, 108 miles, one of the greatest rides of my life along and above the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, into aspen forests. The total climbing was 3700' with a net elevation loss of 3500'. We averaged 21mph.

Friday--Hotchkiss to Glenwood Springs, 81 miles, 4000 feet of climbing, a very tough day. The first 24 miles were into a vicious headwind and gradually climbed 1500 feet. Then, the road turned up and we climbed 8755' McClure Pass, a steady 13 mile climb. Then, we descended into a vicious headwind finally arriving in Glenwood, tired and hungry.

Saturday--Glenwood to Snowmass, 39 miles, gaining 2500' along back roads, along rivers with mountains in the distance.

It was a great week of cycling.