PDA

View Full Version : Everything Campagnolo

elvish presley
07-29-2011, 09:55 PM
I'm relatively new to this forum and road bikes, so please excuse me if this topic has been discussed in another thread. I'm trying to find more information on all the different types of Campagnolo components, focusing on the modern groupsets.

Is a there a thread that describes the differences between all the modern Campagnolo models and abbreviations (CT, UT, QS, BB System, Ergo, Ergopower, etc.)? Perhaps there's already a website that describes all of this. Just curious.

Thanks.

soupless
07-29-2011, 10:02 PM
CT often means compact, as far as I know, referring to two smaller chainrings in the front (typically 50/34) instead of a 53/39. 53/39 is racier, because the gears are bigger.

Ergopower/Ergo mean the same thing: Campagnolo's integrated brake/shift lever.

UT means Ultra Torque, and it's a feature on their newer cranks non-square taper cranks. I think it has something to do with the way the two halves of the axle meet. Hirth joint or something.

BB system maybe means there's a bearing instead of a brushing. i think that's from the older stuff.

QS means quick shift. it means lighter action shifting. Older pre-QS front shifters almost felt like a friction shifter, they had tons of little clicks. qs ones work like a shimano/sram, one indexed stop per gear.

that's just a start, check out campyonly.com and google is your friend.

Marcusaurelius
07-29-2011, 10:03 PM
I've spent a lot of time at campagnolo.com downloading the technical documents. It can prove to be very useful.

oliver1850
07-29-2011, 10:12 PM
I like these. Still prefer print catalogs to online sources. There isn't a lot of tech stuff in them, but they do help to identify what was available in a given year, and most of the features are described. I have extra copies of a lot of years from 1993-2007 if anyone is interested.

oldpotatoe
07-30-2011, 08:08 AM
I'm relatively new to this forum and road bikes, so please excuse me if this topic has been discussed in another thread. I'm trying to find more information on all the different types of Campagnolo components, focusing on the modern groupsets.

Is a there a thread that describes the differences between all the modern Campagnolo models and abbreviations (CT, UT, QS, BB System, Ergo, Ergopower, etc.)? Perhaps there's already a website that describes all of this. Just curious.

Thanks.

Get this.

http://campybike.com

What I have and use all the time.

Christian.
07-30-2011, 12:09 PM
I like these. Still prefer print catalogs to online sources. There isn't a lot of tech stuff in them, but they do help to identify what was available in a given year, and most of the features are described. I have extra copies of a lot of years from 1993-2007 if anyone is interested.What extra copies do you have? Please PM me with details if you are interested in selling any.

Thanks,
Christian.

Muttleyone
07-30-2011, 12:15 PM
I like these. Still prefer print catalogs to online sources. There isn't a lot of tech stuff in them, but they do help to identify what was available in a given year, and most of the features are described. I have extra copies of a lot of years from 1993-2007 if anyone is interested.

It would be cool if you could scan all of those to put a website, Your own website or something like www.velobase.com would be a great resource.

Mutt

thwart
07-30-2011, 12:38 PM
That would be quite a time consuming task.

Think they're all available already on the 'somewhat less than user friendly' official Campy site, IIRC.

Or maybe I'm confusing them with the technical papers that outline all the part numbers and such... ?

oliver1850
07-30-2011, 01:48 PM
I think the best way to get them electronically is the DVD that Peter posted. I have it, it works well, but there are certain times when I'm trying to identify something that the print catalogs are easier to see detail. Plus I just like leafing through them.

Dave
07-30-2011, 03:00 PM
QS is the most misunderstood change. All it does is reduce the amount of dead travel from the left finger lever. Before QS, the finger lever moved quite a bit before any cable travel occured.

oldpotatoe
07-30-2011, 05:02 PM
It would be cool if you could scan all of those to put a website, Your own website or something like www.velobase.com would be a great resource.

Mutt

http://www.campybike.com

elvish presley
07-31-2011, 10:26 AM
thanks for all the info and the links!

binxnyrwarrsoul
07-31-2011, 11:16 AM
Just ask oldpotatoe. Ask any question, and I mean any question. He'll have the answer. It's what I do. :beer: Peter

gomango
07-31-2011, 11:44 AM
Just ask oldpotatoe. Ask any question, and I mean any question. He'll have the answer. It's what I do. :beer: Peter

That's for sure.

I really pay attention to his posts, along with members like OFG.

I really learn a lot.

Thanks guys. :)