PDA

View Full Version : OT: Fly Fishing

JBone
07-29-2011, 07:24 PM
I'm going on a fishing trip in Sept and will be trying fly fishing for the first time. Does anyone have any tips they can share? After looking at the laundry list of things I have to buy, it kinda reminds when I first started cycling. Not only do I have to think about the rod and reel but the gear that goes along with it... not to mention on how to cast.

Some questions:
Should I get a cheap rod and reel combo?
Is there a type of wader I should be looking at?
Do I need to buy a book on how to tie these type of knots?

thanks for any info.

eddief
07-29-2011, 07:31 PM
buy as much patience as you can find. i used to do it, but not anymore. incredible to be standing in the middle of the Madison River in Montana, dangling line, looking at the Big Sky. Nature at some of her very best.

But I was never very good at it. In other words, I was a fisher, not much of a catcher. And it is a sport of incredible finesse. Do you have it? Tying knots is one thing, untying is at least as time consuming. You need a big fat safety pin at your breast for the inevitable knots that come at random times. Wind can be your friend...or your enemy - kinda like cycling.

Trout are beautiful animals. I mostly fished in catch and release areas. Then I got to thinking about hooking those guys, taking the hook out of their faces, and letting them go. At some poinit not so fun for me or the fish.

I moved on to binos and bird watching.

Have fun.

thinpin
07-29-2011, 07:37 PM
Should I get a cheap rod and reel combo?
Not if you want to enjoy the trip and get something out of it. Better speak to someone who knows the type of water you're fishing and what weight rod and line to use there, then try to borrow one. Lessons in casting will also go a long way to taking the pain out of the early stages.
When you find what you like, good value second hand gear is easy to come by. A cheap rod is like a cheap bike, occasionally you may get lucky but usually you'll waste money if you persue the sport wanting something better or lose money if you abandon it.

rnhood
07-29-2011, 07:41 PM
It can be boring, and it can be fun. Try to get some basic lessons if you have not fly fished before, to avoid spending your time trying to get the hook out of the trees/foliage, or your ear lobe. Getting the technique down takes a little practice.

Trout are delicious to eat. Catch all you can and good luck.

msl819
07-29-2011, 07:48 PM
give us more details about the trip. are you going with a guide? where are you going? etc. i love to fly fish and didnt find the learning curve on how to fish steep at all, but many do. if you dont plan to take up fly fishing then i would say dont buy anything other than the flies you will use. if you use a guide service they should provide you will all that you will need. fly fishing is different from what we now think of as conventional tackle. locating fish can be harder, knowing how to cast in certain scenarios can be harder, knowing what weight rod and line will vary... and a guide will go a long way in making that easier. if you have the chance to learn how to cast and the basic before you go that too will greatly increase your enjoyment on the actual trip. Also go to youtube and look up lefty kreh. he has some really good instructional stuff that will go a long way in helping to understand mechanics and theory. after that there is no substitute for learning what it all feels like. best of luck and keeping in the spirit of the forum... we expect to see pics.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lefty+creh&aq=f

jds108
07-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Find someone to help you in-person well before the trip. Maybe a friend will loan/rent you gear? If you want to have a decent shot at catching fish, practice casting before the trip.

Consider getting some casting instruction. Here's a place to search for an instructor: http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Default.aspx?tabid=4465

Hard to say much more as you haven't said where you are, where you're going, what kind of support you'll have (guided trip, private water...)

If you get a guide, they can provide all of the gear for you. If you go this route, I'd still suggest finding some way to learn to cast before the trip.

-Jeff

MattTuck
07-29-2011, 07:56 PM
Look around for lessons, either where you're going on vacation, or where you are currently. Most fly fishing equipment shops, or just regular shops will have some lessons you can take.

I took one, and it was definitely 4 or 5 hours well spent.

Where are you going to be fishing?

Someone once told me that fly fishing is like golf, you're always trying to achieve the perfect cast (swing), most of the time you're cursing though, it sucks money from your bank account. It is very zen, just trying to get the perfect cast is more of the goal of the day, there is tremendous sense of pride and accomplishment with that. Even if you don't catch any fish.

Have fun, but keep it in perspective. It's just an activity.

572cv
07-29-2011, 08:04 PM
but my grandfather took me to the Laurentians when I was young. I caught 17 trout in an hour. We roasted one or two each split and spread on fresh fir branches over an open fire for lunch. I still have my wicker krell, my rod, my flies. But it has never been better.

In September, we are going cycling in the French Alps (no fly rods). :)

flydhest
07-29-2011, 09:36 PM
get into the experience, not the outcome. In that way, it's like cycling. If I worried about winning races instead of enjoying being on the bike, I'd be miserable.

The journey, not the destination.

rounder
07-29-2011, 10:16 PM
I haven't got the faintist idea but have the same questions.

I have a flyrod from llbean that is carbon (they did not offer steel). Have caught a few (small) trout with it, but they were caught with bait (!!) rather than with flies.

I know how to catch fish with spinners and stuff. How do you catch them with stuff you actually tied yourself. Do you just get a ball of yarn and start tieing knots. Or do you get up early in the morming...creep up to the creek, observe what is goin on, warch what they are feeding on and go back and tie up the same flies to catch the fish (am genuinely interested, because this could be my new hobby beyond bikes).

eddief
07-29-2011, 11:25 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_fishing

I haven't got the faintist idea but have the same questions.

I have a flyrod from llbean that is carbon (they did not offer steel). Have caught a few (small) trout with it, but they were caught with bait (!!) rather than with flies.

I know how to catch fish with spinners and stuff. How do you catch them with stuff you actually tied yourself. Do you just get a ball of yarn and start tieing knots. Or do you get up early in the morming...creep up to the creek, observe what is goin on, warch what they are feeding on and go back and tie up the same flies to catch the fish (am genuinely interested, because this could be my new hobby beyond bikes).

JBone
07-30-2011, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the great comments/feedback. I live in CA and will be heading up to a place called Owen's river near Bishop (Mammoth Lakes area). I wish I can borrow some gear but the only people I know that fly fish are the guys going up with me.

Just like cycling, sometimes it's about hang'in with the guys :beer:

sbparker31
07-30-2011, 07:56 AM
A guide is ideal, but if that is not in the plans, you can still have some success.
1. Just like with bikes, equipment runs the gamut from wal mart special to esoteric hand made rods and titanium reels. Go to a local fishing shop and buy something mid level - think "ultegra" if you get my drift. Since you will be fishing for trout the rod and reel will be lightweight, probably 9 feet.
2. Orvis waders are pretty good and not too pricey.
3. Put in several hours of casting practice ahead of time. Go to a mall parking lot. Actually getting the hang of it is not that hard. Keeping your line out of brush and obstructions is the hard part. Thus the parking lot. Also when you are practicing, cast with some split shots, not a hook! This will keep your ears intact during the learning process. Start with a lot of weight, and gradually decrease as you get better. Eventually you will be able to cast a single small shot.
3. There is a good fly shop in Bishop. Go there and have them pick an assortment of flys and nymphs. They will know what is biting and where.
4. Consider spending most of your time nymphing. This is fishing with a weighted fly that you allow to drift under the water with the current. It is far easier than casting dry flys on the surface. You will experience much less frustration with tangles and snags etc. Casting dry flys is more of an intermediate skill, workyour way up to it
5. A good cold Sierra Pale Ale will help immensely with the proper frame of mind

Dan Le foot
07-30-2011, 08:29 AM
I'm a new fly fisher. Love the name.
I caught my 1st and only fish on fly tackle last year on the Owens river after a day of lessons. ($300)
I used LL Bean for all my stuff. (Unconditional guarantee and free shipping)
Also have knowledgeable staff that can help answer all your questions.
I bought mid level rod/reel/line. About $200 and their house light weight waders for $100. Both work great.
I've been in the fly fishing mecca (Island Park/West Yellowstone area)for the last 6 weeks without any luck. Lotsa fishing but no catching.
Hardest part of the sport is figuring out what fly to use. And it changes depending on the time of day.
OH. I also bought the LL Bean "how to" book. I use it often. There is only 2 or 3 knots you really need to use.
Good luck.
Dan

eddief
07-30-2011, 10:20 AM
i learned how to fish from someone who had been doing it for 40 years...and he was a purist. Only dry flys, always waded in blue jeans and wading shoes, and never stood in one spot for more than a few minutes. Cast and move. Cast and move. His approach was as simple as possible and with minimal dollars invested. He knew his sh*T, had incredible eyesight, and extraordinary coordination. And nearly always caught fish.

as in cycling, you can spend as much as you have, buy gear until you are blue in the face. in the end, it is so much more about the motor and the brain than it is about equipment.

jds108
07-30-2011, 11:56 AM
JBone - if you're in the San Francisco area, I'd be happy to meet you at the casting ponds in Golden Gate park. Even if I'm not there, more often than not on th weekend there will be enough club members around that are usually willing to help anybody that asks for help.

I go there to practice my casting as it's always such a long drive to get to any decent fishing from SF.

-Jeff

Kevan
07-30-2011, 12:58 PM
this came from an old guy I met at a dude ranch just outside Jackson Hole WY when I was about 18 yrs old, many..many moons ago. The guy looked and dressed a lot like Mark Twain and could have passed as his younger brother. Anyway, the guy was a marksman with his rod and I had just bought myself a bamboo rod and reel from in town (JH then and now are COMPLETELY different towns), and was excited to give it a go. He taught me how to prepare the line and fly so there was not so much as a ripple left in the water when I cast my fly. He offered casting techniques, and gave me some pointers as to where the fish preferred to hangout during certain times of the day. Then, after my 2 weeks were nearly spent and time was running out, without so much as a nibble, I voiced my frustrations and his response was...

"Heck, if you wanted to catch a fish, why didn'cha just put one of them grasshoppers on yur hook and you'd a caught one."

"Thanks Mark."

True story.

rounder
07-30-2011, 09:55 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_fishing

Thanks eddief, that was good. Wikipedia sometimes offers really great information. I am leaving for Maine tomorrow and plan to stop by LL Bean tomorrow to check out their stuff. No fishing this trip but is definitely in the future.

moose8
07-30-2011, 10:37 PM
The llbean setups are definitely good enough for a beginner, and then some. I've taken mine from cape cod to new Zealand, and it is not the equipment that interferes with my ability to catch the fish. once you start buying or tying flies it can become a bit of an abyss, as there are so many and they all are like tiny works of art.

martinrjensen
07-31-2011, 01:14 AM
JBone - if your buddies are true died in the wool fly fishermen, there is no way that they don't have an extra rod and reel.
I have just under 20 rods (I build them myself) but when I was buying them I still had at least 4at any one time and I honestly don't know any person that has only one rod.
See if you can borrow one setup for the trip., Then when you decide to buy you will have a much better idea of what you want. Casting lessons wouldn't hurt. A guide isn't necessary (but I think it's money well spent) but your buddies can guide you on this occasion.

troymac
07-31-2011, 02:26 AM
Pm me bone and we can discuss some gear loaning options .. I live in Sacramento area if that helps

indyrider
07-31-2011, 06:46 AM
Take him up on the loan before dropping $500 even on mediocre gear and instead purchase The River Why by David James Duncan to get you in the spirit of things :beer:

While attending the U of Montana in Missoula, I learned how to throw a fly on the Little Blackfoot about 1 mile from where the unabombers cabin was located, just the weekend before he was caught. A UM journalism student snapped the first photo of him in cuffs and sold the photo to Newsweek for $10K, which was BIG news on campus (turned out to be the newsweek cover photo for the story). Man, that was a weird feeling knowing that we were in his backyard.

We fished that river for a few days, stalking trout like I'd never done before. We snuck (waded) up and down the river, hiding behind river features so we wouldnt scare the fish and wow, what an experience. I wasnt a pro but the whole experience caused me to drop some serious coin on gear.

Have a great time and start throwing your flies before the sunrise!

csm
07-31-2011, 09:24 AM
I am down to just 3 rods. I like to chase bass in the river, carp in the creeks and stripers and blues at the shore.
occasionally my brother-in-law gets me out to dry fly for trout.

Hawker
07-31-2011, 03:01 PM
Whatever you do...don't watch A River Runs Through It or read anything by John Gierach. You will get sucked into yet another hobby that can turn your life and your checkbook upside down. And do not Google any flyfishing websites, forums, or podcasts. Yes...it can become a lifestyle.

eddief
07-31-2011, 03:39 PM
they live right in it. wonder if they do it?

JBone
09-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Just wanted to share some pics from our fly fishing marathon weekend at Upper Owens River and San Joaquin River around the Rainbow Falls area at Mammoth Lakes CA.

johnnymossville
09-19-2011, 06:57 AM
You'll need plenty of Wooly Boogers.

OK that's all I got. I would love to learn to fly fish.

Have Fun!

Dan Le foot
09-19-2011, 10:21 AM
Just wanted to share some pics from our fly fishing marathon weekend at Upper Owens River and San Joaquin River around the Rainbow Falls area at Mammoth Lakes CA.
Fly fish or ride today......hummm
How about both?
We are in Mammoth and plan on a remote ride starting at the Owens river where you fished. Great ridring heading East on the same road.
When we get back I'm going fly fishing in the Owens river about 100 yards from the car.
I'll send a pic of flyfishing in spandex. :beer:
And tomorrow the San Joaquin River. Your pics of the area are great.
Dan
It doesn't get any better.
Dan

Terry312
09-19-2011, 10:44 AM
I got a free casting lesson when I purchased my first rod and reel.
I'd take the advice of those who suggested borrowing gear from your buddies.
Most anyone who's into fly fishing will have plenty of spare equipment.
I've got 7 rods, 8 reels, two sets of waders...
The only knots you need to learn are those to attach the tippet to the leader and the fly hook to the tippet at first. Keep it simple at first, there's much to learn, it never ends.

Your friends should be a source of knowledge. They'll know which rod/reel to fish the water you're going to be visit. Also nearby fly shops will probably know too.

If you get 'hooked' keep in mind it's not the equipment as much as your skills.
The best fly fishing buddy of mine used antiquated equipment, but his skills were top drawer and he always was more successful than the rest of us whose equipment was more advanced. Very similar to cycling.

TimmyB
09-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Has some great fly fishing! Dad's been going up there a couple trips a year for a lot of years. I go some of the time with. I was there a month and a half ago. Ended up spending far too much time tubing as the water level was wayy to high everwhere because of the late snow melt. The owens was still fun though. San Joaquin was unfishable. Got word from the pops that it was pretty good this past week - although apparently lots of hail/inclement weather every day in the PM. There's so much great fishing within about a 1.5hr drive from mammoth :beer: .

climbgdh
09-19-2011, 10:37 PM
I grew up fly fishing. My dad taught me to fly fish. I taught myself how to tie flies as a teenager. Life doesn't get much closer to heaven standing hip deep in a stream, casting a dry fly into an eddy & getting a strike. I got away from it for a few years but this year have been fishing again....... and realize all over again how special it is. Here is a couple of shots from 3 weeks ago up on the West Kettle River in the Southern Okanagan here in BC. The rainbow was about 2.5 pounds (maybe a bit bigger). Gorgeous fish with a lot of fight & a tremendous amount of fun on a 4wt rod.

JBone
09-20-2011, 12:14 AM
I had a great time, thanks for all the tips and comments. This is something I'm definitely going to do again. We were fortunate enough to hire a guide which helped me out a lot... understanding casting, nymphing, types of flies to use and what to look for in the water. The scenic views of Mammoth also helped with the overall experience. Looking forward to doing this again but this time maybe in another state.

Good times... :beer:

froze
09-20-2011, 07:22 AM
don't let some people scare you, fly fishing does not have to be expensive.

The most important part of fly equipment is the fly line because 70% of a successful cast is all about the line, whereas the rod is only 30%. There are two types, lines that float and lines that sink ideally you should have two reels with one type on one real and one type on the other, but you don't have to this starting out. But whether you start with floating or sinking line get the best weight forward line, not some cheap stuff. And buy either a hot orange or hot yellow color so you can see how the line behaves in the air better while beginning. Cortland makes fluorescent green line called Precision which will cost around $70.

The Rod was the next important element, starting out a 5 weight rod and 8 1/2 feet is good for the beginner. If your going to be backpacking or taking the rod on a bicycle then look into 4 piece travel rod otherwise 2 pieces are great and 1 piece is even better but they can get in the way. Spend about $200 or so for the rod, you don't need a real expensive rod unless you know your going to stick with the sport and money is no problem, but $160 gets you into the low end of the mid range rods, you can spend less but then casting ability and strike feel drop off dramatically which will add to frustration. Here's a really nice rod that would work great for the beginner: http://www.amazon.com/Hardy-Greys-GRXi-Fishing-Weight/dp/B0034C1ELK

The reel doesn't need to be fancy, again it's about you and your money, a simple $40 reel will work as good as a $150 reel, more expensive reels are better designed and are more able to handle big fish like Salman but then you'll need a heavier weight rod and line too. Okuma makes a nice starting reel for about $45. Here's that reel: http://www.amazon.com/Okuma-SLV-45-Fly-Reel-5wt/dp/B000K3EHOM/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1316520237&sr=1-1

You need a good set of chest high waders, any sporting store can help you with those, but I found really nice neoprene chest high waders and shoes at Walmart cheap; see: http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=fishing+waders&ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=0

Then you need a small pocket size fly box and flies to go into it. Fliess are relatively cheap compared to lures. I would go into a local sporting store where you'll be fishing and ask what flies work the best in that area.

There is a lot to fly fishing, but it doesn't have to drive you crazy or bankrupt buying this and buying that. Fishing with lures and even bait can do that too because you have to have different rods and reels for lures and different ones for bait. Get a good DVD at a local sporting store on how to fly fish and watch and practice. A friend or a guide that knows how to fly fish would be very helpful.

Remember just have fun.

Dan Le foot
09-20-2011, 07:55 AM
I grew up fly fishing. My dad taught me to fly fish. I taught myself how to tie flies as a teenager. Life doesn't get much closer to heaven standing hip deep in a stream, casting a dry fly into an eddy & getting a strike. I got away from it for a few years but this year have been fishing again....... and realize all over again how special it is. Here is a couple of shots from 3 weeks ago up on the West Kettle River in the Southern Okanagan here in BC. The rainbow was about 2.5 pounds (maybe a bit bigger). Gorgeous fish with a lot of fight & a tremendous amount of fun on a 4wt rod.
Nice. Check this one out. Caught in Mammoth. Just under 6 lbs.
Dan

johnnymossville
09-20-2011, 08:10 AM
Dan

NICE!

Dan Le foot
09-20-2011, 08:11 AM
Yes. Why not both?
Taken yesterday outside of Mammoth.
Doesn't get better than this!
Dan

JBone
09-20-2011, 08:28 AM
Yes. Why not both?
Taken yesterday outside of Mammoth.
Doesn't get better than this!

Awesome... :hello:

climbgdh
09-20-2011, 11:07 AM
Dan

Holy Moley!!! That's a beautiful fish!! No catch & release in Mammoth? :)

I'll be going back up to the Big Kettle River in a week or two in search of the 5 pound Rainbows. :beer:

TimmyB
09-20-2011, 11:52 AM
Whoa !! That 6lb'r !! You are killing it Dan ! And that pic in spandex is great :beer:

rounder
09-20-2011, 12:54 PM
This is a live brook trout and other trout in the display at ll bean in Freeort.

Dan Le foot
09-20-2011, 03:48 PM
[QUOTE=climbgdh]Holy Moley!!! That's a beautiful fish!! No catch & release in Mammoth? :)

QUOTE]
Cannot tell a lie. The wife was requesting trout for dinner. I crossed over to the dark side. Used spinning gear and Power bait at Twin Lakes to catch (and eat) that monster.
Dan