PDA

View Full Version : If it is good enough for Mr. Ray Lewis...

rugbysecondrow
07-29-2011, 01:18 PM
http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2011/07/29/cycling-gets-lewis-in-best-shape-ever/

“I credit a lot of my training to a lot of my cycling,” Lewis explained, getting more excited by the word. “I did a lot of cycling. I became real big in it. First couple times I went out there I was like, ‘Oh my gosh!’ I mean, the fatigue that you go through… ”

One reason Lewis brought out the bicycle is because it puts less stress on legs than pounding the pavement.

Lewis continued: “It’s really a mind thing on how you have to breathe and just let your legs keep going, going, going, going, and then when you get on the field and you go back to running, running isn’t the same because you can’t take as many steps running as you can cycling. So that’s one of the things that really, really helped me out a lot this season.”

rugbysecondrow
07-29-2011, 01:47 PM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/videobeta/50d8e7ab-8b34-40ef-933e-56ab84f58000/Sports/Ravens-Lewis-on-staying-fit

Video clip, skip to about 2:00

old_fat_and_slow
07-29-2011, 01:48 PM
... snippage

Lewis continued: “It’s really a mind thing on how you have to breathe and just let your legs keep going, going, going, going, and then when you get on the field and you go back to running, running isn’t the same because you can’t take as many steps running as you can cycling. So that’s one of the things that really, really helped me out a lot this season.”

Funny, I've been doing the running and riding thing since high school. Trust me, that's been many years.

To this date, I don't find much benefit from "cycling" in my running, nor from "running" in my cycling, other than just basic cardiovascular endurance levels.

Guess I'm so far at the low end of the performance scale, it's just hard to see any difference. :(

avalonracing
07-29-2011, 02:19 PM
I was thinking about playing pro football to train for cycling.

jmoore
07-29-2011, 03:57 PM
running sucks.

Dekonick
07-29-2011, 04:35 PM
running sucks.

I agree... but your feet are always with you... and that is all you need...

soulspinner
07-30-2011, 05:10 AM
running sucks.

+1