PDA

View Full Version : Post Ride Massage!

mgm777
07-28-2011, 08:57 PM
A few weeks ago, I rode the Triple Bypass and when finished I experienced pretty severe spasms in my lower back. After I got off the bike, my back felt "unstable", as if a sudden turn or twist could cause my back to go "out". I have experienced these spasms before, usually with long days in the saddle and lots of climbing. My back is usually sensitive and stiff for a day or so afterwards, but will return to normal after a couple of days of rest and recovery. However, this time, after the Triple Bypass, my wife signed me up for a post-ride massage in the finish area. This is an indulgence I have never experienced before. After the massage, with lots of stretching of my hips, quads, and hamstrings, my back felt nearly normal. I was very surprised by how normal my back felt immediately after the massage. I didn't have that "unstable" feeling in my back and I wasn't stiff or sore. Now, I understand why the pros get massages after each ride. If I had the resources, I'd get a massage every couple of days. If you haven't taken advantage of the post ride massage tent at a big ride, I'd urge you to do so. It made a huge difference for me in my recovery.

false_Aest
07-28-2011, 09:37 PM
hey,

massages rock yo!

i've had similar experiences with back stuff (and I'm pretty young).

the only thing that really took care of it though was core work. 5x a week for about 6 months then 3x a week after that.

don't treat the symptom, treat the cause.

BUT

don't ever pass on those post-ride massages they're the best! (edited by Bruce K - let's remember this is not a locker room please)

mgm777
07-28-2011, 09:48 PM
I completely agree. I am now a post-ride massage advocate. What off-the-bike core exercises do you do?

Bruce K
07-29-2011, 03:06 AM
He's probably refering to Pilates or TRX - both of which should be available at your local gym.

BK

thinpin
07-29-2011, 05:44 AM
hey,

the only thing that really took care of it though was core work.

Bingo :beer:
Activate and strengthen the core and pelvic floors (yeah, we've got them too) and watch the back problems go.