PDA

View Full Version : Fierte Fork Rake (pls confirm)

SkipBGrad
07-28-2011, 10:33 AM
I've done all the searches and strongly suspect the rake of the Kestrel EMS Pro OS on my '03 Fierte Steel is 43mm. Can anyone confirm?

oliver1850
07-28-2011, 03:10 PM
I would have guessed the Fierte came with a Serotta F2 or Reynolds fork. If your EMS is a replacement, you will have to check it to know for sure. 43 is pretty standard on Serottas above 54cm, but smaller ones had more.

After doing some checking, I've found other Fiertes with Kestrel forks, so maybe that was the stock fork after all.

SkipBGrad
07-28-2011, 05:33 PM
Yes, the 2003 came with the Kestrel. My frame is a 50cm.

Pete Serotta
07-28-2011, 07:15 PM
I've done all the searches and strongly suspect the rake of the Kestrel EMS Pro OS on my '03 Fierte Steel is 43mm. Can anyone confirm?

pete

SkipBGrad
07-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Thanks Serotta Pete!

Pete Serotta
07-28-2011, 08:08 PM
If problems in deviating from the 43, let me have the serial # and I will talk to one of the experts on what to expect. THe 43 is what I would recommend as a replacement. Serotta sells and makes replace forks, even for OEM mft. they are made in USA (POWAY) The head person there is Mike LOPEZ who was originally Reynolds before Ben S bought POWAY. Forks are not cheap, but they are quality and can be custom tuned on initial order (all made in USA)

THere are cheaper ones from others and if they leave a smile :D that is good.

Yeah, I bet it comes as a shock but all I use in Serotta... :D :D PETE

Parlee fork is pretty good to, as is PARLEE>

SkipBGrad
07-28-2011, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the info Pete. I am considering replacing the Kestrel. A big part of why I bought the Fierte in the first place in addition to Serotta's reputation was that it was usa made. Unfortunately at this time i don't think I can spring for the Serotta fork. I've read that the Easton SLX is too flexy but more so than the kestrel? And what about at my weight of 140?

Bruce K
07-29-2011, 03:09 AM
Another possibility:

Some of the newer Fiertes around here were delivered with Stella Azura forks.

I am not sure if they are still available but the folks that have them that way like the way they ride.

BK

tv_vt
07-29-2011, 10:43 AM
I put an Alpha Q fork on my 60cm Fierte IT. It has a 44mm rake and rides great. But I think the standard rake on almost all Serottas is 43mm.

Thom

SkipBGrad
08-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Curious if anyone can comment on switching from the Kestrel EMS to an Easton SLX fork? What could I expect in terms of feel?

hockeybike
08-01-2011, 11:34 AM
I have a 54cm Fierte IT with a 47mm rake F3 fork--love the ride and handling. Not sure what a 43mm would feel like, but I know it descends like its on rails and tracks great through turns at speed.

Pete Serotta
08-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Serotta Personalized Precision Forks.

Why you want a Serotta fork.

Serotta understands that the front fork is more than just an important component of the bike, it’s truly an extension of the frame. For optimal handling under sprinting, climbing, cornering, descending and applying the brakes the front fork influences the performance of the bike in a uniquely critical way. And when it comes to safety it’s the most vital. Understanding these attributes is why Serotta has placed more emphasis on fork design than any other company- large or small.

Does it really make sense that a cyclist of 120lbs and another of 250 lbs. would get the equivalent performance/safety from the same fork? Absolutely not…but only Serotta seems to understand, so while everyone else produces forks of only one weight and stiffness for all cyclists, we produce three, dubbed 6.5; 8.5 and 10.5. Of course we offer a wide range of offsets (rake) in each stiffness to match the required steering geometry of your bicycle. In other words your Serotta fork is selected to match your weight, riding style and frame geometry so that your frame and fork perform in unison, each enhancing the other.

Of course there are further options too- we produce forks to fit your beloved older bike with a 1” steering column and by Fall 2010 and through the first part of 2011 we’ll extend our line to include cross, touring and 650C forks, so there will never be a need to compromise your safety or performance.

All Serotta forks are produced start to finish in our Serotta Composites facility in Poway, CA. This matters to us because we are quality control freaks. We think It should matter to you too because on a 60mph descent you should only be thinking about your line, not wondering if the fork you are on falls within a loosely controlled specification dictated half a world away.

Serotta Personalized Precision Forks are available as original equipment on Serotta frames and can also be ordered individually to enhance the ride of most other brands.

Specifications:
F4 full carbon with machined aluminum dropouts; 1 ˝” to 1 1/8” taper; rakes 4.3; 5.0
F3 full carbon with titanium drop outs for extra durability; 1 1/8” or 1” steering column; rakes 4.0; 4.3; 4.7; 5.2
S3 full carbon with aluminum drop outs; 1 1/8” or 1” steering column; rakes 4.0; 4.3; 4.7; 5.2