PDA

View Full Version : Chris Horner and the TdF?

97CSI
07-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Just got back from riding in the mountains and have not seen anything in the news about Chris Horner and the TdF (other six from the USA have done us proud). Did Chris start? How has he done?

dave thompson
07-04-2005, 04:41 PM
Just got back from riding in the mountains and have not seen anything in the news about Chris Horner and the TdF (other six from the USA have done us proud). Did Chris start? How has he done?
As of today Chris Horner in the GC:
52 Andreas Klöden (Ger) T-Mobile Team 2.01
53 Nicki Sörensen (Den) Team CSC
54 Chris Horner (USA) Saunier Duval-Prodir

tied with the same time. Not too bad for his first Grand Tour. His team isn't great but hopefully he will continue to do well.

97CSI
07-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Thanks. If Horner can finish the TdF within two places of Kloden he will be in fine shape.

sspielman
07-07-2005, 06:52 AM
Horner will do just fine once the race reaches the mountains. He has alot of mouth, but he usually backs it up. "It ain't bragging if you can really do it."

J.M. White
07-07-2005, 12:25 PM
The TTT really killed him on the overall, but I bet he finishes in the top 40. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a flyer on one of the later mountain stages.

97CSI
07-09-2005, 04:43 PM
Up to 45th and only 4:54 down. Another good day of climbing tomorrow and he should be on his way. Too bad Chris has no team. Perhaps he will work for LA. Someone needs to, as his team seems pretty punk. :confused:

Tmogul
07-09-2005, 06:09 PM
I hope he wins one stage. It will help the image of U.S. cycling IMO because lets face it if a guy who Dominates the u.s. scene can't even do well in the tour......well it says a lot. Also its refreshing to hear some of his brash no holding back comments about the tour and strategy against Lance.

jerk
07-09-2005, 06:47 PM
and the jerk hopes he doesn't have a heart attack in the middle of the night while he is sleeping.

jerk

columbusslx
07-09-2005, 09:16 PM
and the jerk hopes he doesn't have a heart attack in the middle of the night while he is sleeping.

jerk

Jerk...why the beef with Horner?? You have called him out as dirty on several threads recently. If you are so knowledgable, why not be more specific? What is he using to allow no positive tests???

jerk
07-09-2005, 10:39 PM
stuff...

bironi
07-09-2005, 10:40 PM
I saw Chris Horner about 10 years back at a criterium in Seattle. This was one of my first observations as a race spectator. Chris Horner was definitely a cut above the field. I predicted his win early in the race without any previous knowledge of him or race tactics. His skill and talent just stood out. I have seen very little racing locally, but was present on A'ple d'Huez in 2001 for "the Look'' of Lance.

Horner is a talent, but the field is full of talent.

Climb01742
07-10-2005, 04:54 AM
read in velonews last night that horner's present DS (or assistant DS or something) said a few years ago that horner could be good if he lost 10-12 pounds. well, once he lost the weight, they signed him. putting doping aside, isn't it amazing how often you hear that a rider's weight seems key to his performance? guess watts/kilos is important, eh? and i'd be curious if any brown envelopes get passed from disco to mr horner before the tour is over? lance may need an extra "friend" or two in the mountains? trading help for a stage win?

97CSI
07-10-2005, 10:49 AM
Another finish in the primier group and up to 43rd. No too shabby. And, the Alps loom, so he may just get to do something outstanding. Good luck to all the U.S. riders.

Fixed
07-10-2005, 03:16 PM
How did Kloden improve so much in 12 days? My 13 year old jr.team mate said he must be well rested.What does Mr.Jerk ,Greg Lemond and Andy Hampsted have in common? They know something that we pretend is not there.I told my teammate yes Kloden must be well rested.

Dr. Doofus
07-10-2005, 05:36 PM
use your saline IV

use your spinner if yer old school

take your aspirin at night

text message your doctor's cousin's neighbor (can't be too careful)

clean your works

you're only as good as your masking agent

GoJavs
07-10-2005, 05:50 PM
How did Kloden improve so much in 12 days? My 13 year old jr.team mate said he must be well rested.What does Mr.Jerk ,Greg Lemond and Andy Hampsted have in common? They know something that we pretend is not there.I told my teammate yes Kloden must be well rested.

---

That just show up come Tour time and have become non-existent elsewhere during the season. And I'm obviously not talking about Hincapie or Salvodelli. I'm talking about guys like Azevedo who I assume must be under some sort of cryogenic freeze the other 49 weeks out of the year... :confused:

JohnS
07-10-2005, 07:04 PM
It seems that for the TdF CSC, T-Mobile and Disco have the most "well-rested" riders. :)

sspielman
07-11-2005, 07:21 AM
Chris Horner could end up being the best placed American at the Tour this year. Entering the real climbing, he is sitting in 43rd @7:12 on Jens Voigt. The most significant development for him is that the Giro-weary GC rider for Saunier Duval, Juan Manuel Garate cracked and is in 91st @18:25. Horner is now Saunier's GC man.

97CSI
07-11-2005, 07:51 AM
Only problem with CH getting too much higher in the standings is that he probably has the weakest team at the TdF. His best hope is to hook up with some other folks and ride 'smart', which he has shown he can do.

Frustration
07-12-2005, 10:08 AM
I don't think Horner has any "unfair advantage" relative to the rest of the tour field...

I loved seeing him finishing with front groups and would like to see him get a stage. He's put in the training just like everyone else there. I might not like what happens in the sport at that level, but here we all sit watching it and commenting...

Go get em Chris! I would love to see three or four American Stage winners...

97CSI
07-12-2005, 04:22 PM
CH made 20th on the day and 24th overall ain't bad. 9:05 back and climbing up the standings. Great job! More good stuff tomorrow.

97CSI
07-15-2005, 01:04 PM
What do you think.....did CH and Chavanel piss away 1st and 2nd with their stupid little leadout game in the last 1/2 km? Looked that way to me.

coylifut
07-15-2005, 01:44 PM
What do you think.....did CH and Chanvanel piss away 1st and 2nd with their stupid little leadout game in the last 1/2 km? Looked that way to me.

they looked quite cooked. Horner had been out there all day, Chavanel's bridge must have took alot out of him.

Fixed
07-15-2005, 01:59 PM
What do you think.....did CH and Chanvanel piss away 1st and 2nd with their stupid little leadout game in the last 1/2 km? Looked that way to me.
yes

max_powers
07-15-2005, 03:10 PM
unlikely considering the ultimate closing speed of the leadout men, that fast Freddy head bob is great