PDA

View Full Version : Chris Chance link, with comment about Serotta

LouDeeter
07-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Article is on Chris Chance, but see the comment about Serotta.

http://18milesperhour.tumblr.com/post/7524013028/seldom-hailed-cycling-heroes-chris-chance-to

"This leads me to the big reason why I love Fat Chance. See, back then custom bikes meant guys like Ben Serotta and that’s it. Serottas are great bikes, but they were built for skinny, sponsored pros who drank protein shakes, kept training logs and lived and trained like hell in Colorado. Serotta built his bikes and his company aimed at racing. Still does. He, like all the other popular brands out there, want to sell you bikes that’d be best in a fully-supported race situation with the hopes that the technology and everything else will trickle down."

flydhest
07-26-2011, 01:16 PM
the irony given other (not entirely accurate) stereotypes that folks seem to have of Serotta owners.

Joachim
07-26-2011, 01:20 PM
the irony given other (not entirely accurate) stereotypes that folks seem to have of Serotta owners.

I thought all Serotta owners were dentists. [Insert correct smiley face with teeth here]

Pete Serotta
07-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Davis Phinney, Connie Carpenter and other racers are another segment.

I am the "older than dirt" segment and Dentist will not barter with me on repairs :D for they are golfers now

I thought all Serotta owners were dentists. [Insert correct smiley face with teeth here]

FlashUNC
07-26-2011, 01:52 PM
My (admittedly secondhand) one seems to fit just fine in the Slow-uphill-and-enjoys-beer-during-Sunday-football-games segment.

Unsure how the idea of custom but custom-at-just-one-thing really applies. Isn't the idea of custom to make it whatever you want?

nahtnoj
07-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Weird.

So different in philosophy (uh, not really) yet built under the same roof for several years.

I guess no one ever raced a Yo Eddy?

zap
07-26-2011, 02:50 PM

Well....way back when......even before Chris and Ben got together......and Smiley was riding some funky, poorly fitted Trek and didn't know Serotta from Somec...Davis and Coors were racing Serotta's and Serotta's were hot with the go fast crowd.

But all that seemed to fizzle in the early 90's.

Aaron O
07-26-2011, 02:54 PM
God forbid anyone compliment one frame builder without bashing another. Since I bought a Marnati, ALL OTHER FRAME BUILDERS MUST STINK! Take that <insert frame builder who doesn't actually come here, so won't put me in my place>!

SHEESH.

I like my 2nd hand Serotta just fine, even when not in full lycra with a bow tie. The nivachrome steels I've been on seem GREAT for clydesdales.

Mike748
07-26-2011, 04:30 PM
Seems like the author is getting Chris and Grant mixed up... except Grant only wishes he was a holistic healer.

charliedid
07-26-2011, 04:38 PM
I think the author got that just about right...

oliver1850
07-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Well....way back when......even before Chris and Ben got together......and Smiley was riding some funky, poorly fitted Trek and didn't know Serotta from Somec...Davis and Coors were racing Serotta's and Serotta's were hot with the go fast crowd.

But all that seemed to fizzle in the early 90's.

I don't know about early 90's. I remember seeing quite a few Serottas at races I did, and I didn't start until 1995 or so. Coors Light was still riding them in 1996 I think, and Sierra Nevada rode them around 2004.