PDA

View Full Version : Leonard "Harvey" Nitz Serotta / Huffy

Jellybird3
07-26-2011, 09:25 AM
I spotted this beauty last week in my LBS. Apparently, the bike has some significant history as they bought it directly from Olympic cyclist from the '80s, Leonard "Harvey" Nitz.

Hopefully, you can see in the picture the down-tube shifter on the left side and the GripShift on the right end of the bars.

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac350/rwbisharat/Bicycles/HuffySerotta.jpg

sean
07-26-2011, 11:51 AM
ARGH. That was so close to being mine.

Apparently Nitz used the grip shift on one side as he felt that he could save 1/2 a bike length by not having to drop down to shift. Apparently, he won his silver by a 1/2 a bike length.

e-RICHIE
07-26-2011, 11:58 AM
ARGH. That was so close to being mine.

Apparently Nitz used the grip shift on one side as he felt that he could save 1/2 a bike length by not having to drop down to shift. Apparently, he won his silver by a 1/2 a bike length.

huh? his medals were on the track. iirc there is no shifting there atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:) :) :)
:) :rolleyes: :cool:

sean
07-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Also, it has campy pedals and colnago cleats. According to Nitz, he had a bunch of these and liked to ride them over the shimano versions.

The frame has some great aero crimping on the DT as well. But my favorite little detail was the Team 7/11 decal on the rim.

sean
07-26-2011, 12:02 PM
huh? his medals were on the track. iirc there is no shifting there atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:) :rolleyes: :cool:

No, no. The LA Olympic Committee insisted on shifting in the '84 games track events. Apparently Sam the Eagle had visions of the future of fixed gear and was trying to stop it.

(my mistake, was just relaying the story as I was told it, probably not a medal, but just a win)

fiamme red
07-26-2011, 12:06 PM
huh? his medals were on the track. iirc there is no shifting there atmo.Now that's just Nitz-picking. :)

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist that one. e-RICHIE is correct, of course.)

e-RICHIE
07-26-2011, 12:08 PM
Now that's just Nitz-picking. :)

(Sorry, couldn't resist that one. E-Richie is correct, of course.)
i forget the timeline but he used my frames for a season or two while on mengoni atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

;) ;) ;)
;) ;) ;)
:D :D :o

sean
07-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Now that's just Nitz-picking. :)

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist that one. e-RICHIE is correct, of course.)

That's fine, I just think it's important to acknowledge that I'm right about same the eagle. :cool:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Vv-XnAekWOU/SDw5qDOoSQI/AAAAAAAAAyI/4ZVMrLWJu4A/s200/sam.jpg

Jellybird3
07-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Also, it has campy pedals and colnago cleats. According to Nitz, he had a bunch of these and liked to ride them over the shimano versions.

The frame has some great aero crimping on the DT as well. But my favorite little detail was the Team 7/11 decal on the rim.

Have you seen the frame at Citizen Chain? If I recall correctly, the rear rim is original (still has 7-11 decal) but not the front.

chismog
07-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Interesting to me is the lack of the fastback seat cluster. First Serotta Huffy I've seen, other than Hampsten's Shark, that does not have the standard Serotta fastback. In fact it almost looks like a Sachs cluster with the thin, tapered. almost-squared-off seatstays tacked to the side of the seat lug.

Nice bike.

19wisconsin64
07-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Very cool. Great condition too!

At one point, for a few years, i owned bob roll's bike. 95% the exact same as this bike. solid, and very heavy. top shelf welding. and you could tell bob put some serious riding on the machine.

cheers

sean
07-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Have you seen the frame at Citizen Chain? If I recall correctly, the rear rim is original (still has 7-11 decal) but not the front.

It belonged to a friend of mine. I saw it before citizen chain grabbed it. I slept on it too long and he needed it gone (sadly, for the right reasons :crap: )

Yes, the front hub/rim is different. The rim is the same, but the hub is a campy record. No 7/11 decal on that rim. I think it was something that harvey built as the original was damaged.

dancinkozmo
07-26-2011, 06:16 PM
,,,mustve been tough racing with that cvs bag full of crap on there.

Brian Smith
07-26-2011, 09:31 PM

I need one of those rim decals for my 7-11 bike, in case anyone's sitting on one.
Nice post, OP.

6day_rider
07-26-2011, 09:47 PM
I enjoyed checking out the 7-11 frames on display while on the factory tour a couple of weeks ago. Nice classic stuff.

san
07-26-2011, 11:34 PM
any more info on that grip shift?

kydnytheef
08-13-2011, 12:00 AM
,,,mustve been tough racing with that cvs bag full of crap on there.

LOL! those are some goodies we got along with the bike - including some extra bar end shifters and an article in WINNING magazine with an interview with Harvey in which he discusses his custom Serottas and why he likes the modified bar end shifter.

kydnytheef
08-13-2011, 12:00 AM

ill get some better pics and post some info from the article.

oldpotatoe
08-13-2011, 08:04 AM

Used to install that junque. Had to drill a hole in the handlebar to secure/shift the thing. The pon was installed that followed little grooves in the shifter, moving the rear der. GS made one for DA 8s and another for all other shimano 8s. Most of the ones went on TT/Tri bikes, on the tri bars. Some on road bikes, like the one pictured. A crappier shifting setup has never been made. Why he would use this instead of a barend, I donno.

Gummee
08-13-2011, 08:11 AM
There's a few reasons I'm here. The pic in the OP is one. I'd LOVE to have a 7-11 'Huffy' as well as a Coors Light Serotta.

Haven't found either when I've been in the right state of wallet.

M

Kontact
08-13-2011, 09:20 AM
I have to wonder if this is the first racing bike with a braze on derailleur cable stop.

e-RICHIE
08-13-2011, 10:11 AM
I have to wonder if this is the first racing bike with a braze on derailleur cable stop.

negative atmo.
here's his 1980 unit. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/9866331@N08/6038089123/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

ps

arrange disorder

:p :p ;)
:p :D :D

vjp
08-13-2011, 11:49 AM
The seat stays make me wonder if maybe this, like Hampsten's, was not a Serotta built Huffy. There were more than a few failure issues with the True Temper tubing that Serotta took the heat for and some team members took finding a solution into their own hands as Serotta was sort of over the barrel on this one.

e-RICHIE
08-13-2011, 11:55 AM
The seat stays make me wonder if maybe this, like Hampsten's, was not a Serotta built Huffy. There were more than a few failure issues with the True Temper tubing that Serotta took the heat for and some team members took finding a solution into their own hands as Serotta was sort of over the barrel on this one.

yeah - the RCX tubing sucked atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:cool: :cool: :cool:
:cool: :cool: :cool:
:p :p :p

mgd
08-13-2011, 12:07 PM
negative atmo.
here's his 1980 unit. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/9866331@N08/6038089123/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

ps

arrange disorder

:p :D :D

andy hampsten on the raleigh?

Gummee
08-13-2011, 12:36 PM
andy hampsten on the raleigh?
That's what I was wondering too.

:ear

M