PDA

View Full Version : Help waking up in the morning.

itsflantastic
07-26-2011, 06:20 AM
HElp! Save for coffee and a shower, what are your strategies for waking up in the AM after a sleep deprived night.

AngryScientist
07-26-2011, 06:23 AM
it can be painful, but exercise first thing in the morning is always a good jump start, when i ride into work, for the first half of the day, i am on top of the world. come 3PM though...

93legendti
07-26-2011, 06:51 AM
The only thing that worked for me was practice. In other words, I got used to it.

bicycletricycle
07-26-2011, 06:54 AM
A nice 10 minute walk or ride seems to help

William
07-26-2011, 07:13 AM
A few rounds of full contact stickfighting do it for me. :D

William

AngryScientist
07-26-2011, 07:15 AM
A few rounds of full contact stickfighting do it for me. :D

William

probably more so if you're on the losing end...

William
07-26-2011, 07:18 AM
probably more so if you're on the losing end...

The guy on the losing side goes back to sleep. ;)

William

avalonracing
07-26-2011, 07:46 AM
I have the problem in reverse. When I have to get up early, like for today's 6AM group ride start, I can't stay asleep. I woke up at 3:40 and after laying there sleepless for a half an hour I said "Screw it!" and got up (this is after going to bed a midnight).

flydhest
07-26-2011, 07:46 AM
The only thing that worked for me was practice. In other words, I got used to it.
Bingo.

Now I wake up at 5:00 or 5:30 without an alarm clock. Not exactly "peppy" but able to get going even with only 4 hours of sleep.

eltonbalch
07-26-2011, 08:33 AM
This is when you need to ponder WHY you are sleep deprived, so you avoid or minimize the effects in the future. I went through a fairly long period of restless nights until I started honestly analyzing why. Evening snacking on "empty calories" turned out to be my problem. Otherwise, coffee and a shower plus a little vigorous movement is pretty much it. I'm retired so I just go back to sleep myself.... :D .

Bob Loblaw
07-26-2011, 08:39 AM
I get excited thinking about the morning ride. I love seeing the sun come up, love making the most of the time on the bike, love coming home when my family is just starting to stir...best part of the day.

BL

jr59
07-26-2011, 08:42 AM
A very good looking woman! :banana:

Matt-H
07-26-2011, 08:57 AM
Three kids have proven very effective.

William
07-26-2011, 09:06 AM
A very good looking woman! :banana:

Can't argue with that!! :banana:

William :)

Karin Kirk
07-26-2011, 09:06 AM
Some outdoor time works wonders.
Also, I tell myself to just get over it and go about my day. Ever notice the people that hang their hat on the fact they got only x hours of sleep or have jet lag where it is x o'clock at home? Don't do that. Just move forward with your day.

Also a little Serotta forum with your coffee is a nice way to start the day. :)

rugbysecondrow
07-26-2011, 09:14 AM
Some outdoor time works wonders.
Also, I tell myself to just get over it and go about my day. Ever notice the people that hang their hat on the fact they got only x hours of sleep or have jet lag where it is x o'clock at home? Don't do that. Just move forward with your day.

Also a little Serotta forum with your coffee is a nice way to start the day. :)

Agree. Fruit or a fruit smoothie helps, nice jolt that rights the ship. Stretching and some pushups also get the blood flowing.

A pretty women helps wakes you up, you certainly won't get out of bed though.

oldpotatoe
07-26-2011, 09:18 AM
HElp! Save for coffee and a shower, what are your strategies for waking up in the AM after a sleep deprived night.

Fix the reason your nights are sleep deprived...if possible.

skijoring
07-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Lit screens keep the brain active far longer than necessary for good sleep. Stay away from monitors/TV's for 2 hours before bed.

Read in a chair, not your bed, limit caffeine after noon.

Try to go to bed and get up around the same time every day.

My strategies which work pretty well!

konstantkarma
07-26-2011, 09:45 AM
Do you ride with lights pre-sunrise? I ask because I am enjoying morning rides, but do not want to push out before the sun for safety reasons.

I get excited thinking about the morning ride. I love seeing the sun come up, love making the most of the time on the bike, love coming home when my family is just starting to stir...best part of the day.

BL

Chad Engle
07-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Do you ride with lights pre-sunrise? I ask because I am enjoying morning rides, but do not want to push out before the sun for safety reasons.

It never fails to make me smile when we are headed out to early season duck hunting hours before the sun is to rise and we pass the blinkies of a hardcore morning cyclist on the highway shoulder. Does seem a little risky to me, but I have nothing to document this. My fear is the driver nodding off, which a good set of lights won't help.

Fixed
07-26-2011, 10:52 AM
sex in the morning make for a great day
cheers imho
http://www.askmen.com/dating/love_tip_60/62_love_tip.html

biker72
07-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Back when the kids were very small there were many sleep deprived nights. Coffee and 10-15 minutes of vigorous activity worked for me.

Edit...including what Mr. Fixed has written above this post.... :D

fiamme red
07-26-2011, 11:24 AM
When I need to get up unusually early (before 5 a.m. for me), I set three alarm clocks at five minute intervals in different parts of my bedroom. :)

sean
07-26-2011, 11:46 AM
http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/extra_strength_5_hour_energy.jpg

1happygirl
07-26-2011, 01:01 PM
When you guys solve this, bottle the secret, pm me and offer it for sale in the classifieds!
Seriously, I too am chronically sleep deprived.

I find the opposite with exercise. Close to bed exercise, can't sleep/overtrain in early morn-sleepy. :crap: Go figure!
Pray for retirement I guess (in another 100 years).

PS what others say-no eating close to bed, no cell phone, tv, laptop
Ppl. Love the Zeo clock or so I hear.

Try reading a real, live, book?

ANYBODY TRIED THIS? I would love to adjust my sleep schedule--
http://columbiapsychiatry.org/clinicalservices/light-treatment-center

pedlpwrd
07-26-2011, 05:20 PM
vitamin B complexes have been helping me alot. I'm primarily a night person- average bedtime is like 3am and average up time is about 9am- I work evennings so it just fell into place that way. Unfortunately for me the 6 hours is often tossing and turning and up and down bs. My Dr actually recommended 5hr energy shots since the primary component in it is B complexes. Its gotton me to wake up enough to get moving and not feel like a zombie by noon lol.

93legendti
07-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Lots of water, a hot shower with a little cold water at the end, fresh air, protein for breakfast all helped me...

As a friend told me when my oldest child was 3 yrs old and the other just a baby: "It happens to all of us. You just need to power thru it. It will get easier."

charliedid
07-26-2011, 09:40 PM
I "commute" with my wife though I work at home. I get a 28 mile ride in before coffee...and I don't have to ride home at the end of the day.

If not, I stretch for 20-30 minutes.

Cat3roadracer
07-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Less beer the night before. Works every time. Cheers.