PDA

View Full Version : Forum Member Loss

dbrk
07-04-2005, 06:30 AM
On Saturday, July 2nd, my dear friend Dr. Dennis Cotcamp passed away suddenly. He was 51 years old and, as he always was, in an incredible state of fitness. He was found a few miles from home, on the side of the road beside his bicycle, apparently having suffered a massive heart attack. I have few other details of his death. I'll be travelling to his home in Saginaw, Michigan for services tomorrow. He leaves behind his wife Nancy and daughters Anne and Sarah.

I've exchanged email with Dennis nearly everyday for the past ten years. He stayed with us on a number of occasions, rode bikes, ate meals, and became the very best of friends. Our friendship was an inspiration, a gift of grace, and a daily reprieve from whatever it was the world was offering up. Perhaps at some point I will share some of our private correspondence because then folks who did not know him well personally would experience what I came to know. Dennis was a pediatric intensive care doctor who helped heal a broken child, save a life, or console a grieving parent as a part of his everyday work. In private he was as generous, as kind-hearted, and utterly decent, gracious, and filled with integrity as he was when he spoke or acted in public company. This very private man was, honestly, as close to a saint as any human I have ever known ---some would say that is exalted company but I say it is exactly the man I knew.

I learned so much from Dennis about life and I will try to share what I gathered from him in the years to come. Dennis was an infrequent contributor to this Forum but he was an astute observer and, well, he rode his bike nearly 300 days a year through all weathers, sometimes starting so early in the morning we would call it the middle of the night. He was an immensely accomplished racer and yet his competitive spirit and passion for bicycling could not have been more gracious or inclusive of others and their interests.

We have lost a great soul, a gifted person of compassionate spirit, and a cyclist whose inspiring talents no one could ever forget. To have known him and shared so much has been my real privilege. I am honored to call myself his friend and though I know I will miss him, I hope our conversation continues. I wouldn't know what to do without it.

dbrk

Ray
07-04-2005, 06:37 AM
Douglas,

So sorry to hear about Dennis. I never met him, but exchanged any number of emails with him over the years from the IBOB forum and elsewhere. From those limited contacts, his kindness and interest in others was more than obvious. Just another reminder of how precious and temporary this life is.

Please let Dennis's wife and daughters know how much he'll be missed by the wider bicycle community, as well as his more immediate friends and family.

-Ray

Climb01742
07-04-2005, 06:46 AM
great souls never leave us. dennis sounds to have been exactly that. my thoughts are with his family. beautifully expressed feelings, douglas. my guess, on your next ride, you'll feel him beside you. take care, pal.

Johny
07-04-2005, 07:28 AM
I'm shocked and sad...

Having met and chatted with Dennis in the last TdFL, I know he is truly a gentleman with a great understanding of life. He is always friendly and is, you know, a person you would like to share great friendship with. In fact, Dennis is so fit and was still racing competitively last year that I thought he was much younger than 50 last year...He is a bike lover that we (as bike geeks) are so proud of...Moreover, a lifesaver we always depend on...

Douglas, please let Dennis's family know how much we miss Dennis...They are in my prayer.

BumbleBeeDave
07-04-2005, 07:35 AM
I’m ashamed to say I most probably met your friend last year at TdFL and don’t remember him to put a face with the name. I met so many people there and don’t have that great a memory for faces and names when I’m in a crowd. I have no doubt whatsoever that all you say of him is true. This is indeed a tragedy and my thoughts will be with you in the coming days. :(

BBDave

Johny
07-04-2005, 07:47 AM
Dennis was having fun with us in the last TdFL (1st right)

dave thompson
07-04-2005, 07:51 AM
I never met Dennis but have owned several of his bikes, either directly through him or indirectly through Douglas Brooks and Ian Vickery. I had occasion to speak with him on the phone once or twice and he was in every case a very nice person to chat with and buy bicycles from. Everything that I've heard from folks that knew him said that he was a genuine nice guy. The world is less without him. I'll miss him too. God speed Dennis.

Douglas, please pass on my sincere condolences to his family and loved ones.

Dave

BumbleBeeDave
07-04-2005, 08:23 AM
Thanks very much, Johny . . .

BBDave

Smiley
07-04-2005, 09:23 AM
May he rest in peace .

mavic1010
07-04-2005, 10:13 AM
I am shocked and saddened by Dennis' sudden death. We rode together alot in the TdFL...bringing up the rear..telling me to give him a call when I come out to Michigan so we could go out for a ride...and talking about Parlee's and helping Ginger out whenever we could....

It will be lonely in the rear now...you will not be forgotten.

Dekonick
07-04-2005, 10:29 AM
He sounds like a true hero - not only a loss to cycling but to humanity.

Honestly, I can't think of a better way to leave this world than to spend your last minutes doing what you love.

My sympathy to friends and family.

pale scotsman
07-04-2005, 11:18 AM
Dennis was a great guy and I'm shocked to hear he's dead. I, like Dave T had one of his old bikes, actually Dave's Legend he bought from me originally belonged to Dennis. While I never met him face to face we did talk on the phone a few times. He's was one of the good 'uns...

Kevan
07-04-2005, 11:20 AM
I don't have a strong recollection of Dennis, but everyone that attended last year's TdFL was of terrific spirit, you know his will live on.

Spinsistah
07-04-2005, 11:26 AM
My condolences to his family and friends; I obviously didn't know him being new to the forum, but he sounds like he was a great guy.

cinelli
07-04-2005, 11:30 AM
I never met Dennis, but did converse with him
via e-mails through this forum. He was always
very insightful, highly knowledgeable and a
true gentleman. The forum has lost a valuable
member. My prayers to the Cotcamp family.

csb
07-04-2005, 12:56 PM
@ tdfl dennis was the pal that when i flatted, rolled back to help.
while i was taking off my rear wheel, under his own initiative
took my spare tube out of my back pocket and prep'd it.
as i fiddled with the new tube, he rolled the bad tube backup,
put a rubberband around it and handed it to me as we got ready to roll.

William
07-04-2005, 01:48 PM
We are very sorry to hear this sad news about Dr. Cotcamp. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

William

Tom Byrnes
07-04-2005, 02:08 PM
Absolutely horrible news. I am stunned and saddened.

Douglas, thank you for eloquently sharing with us some of your experiences and thoughts about Dennis.

I got to spend some time riding and talking with Dennis at last year's TdFL. In that brief period of time, I got a glimpse of his generous and kind spirit. On our rides, Dennis voluntarily dropped back to help bring up the riders in the rear even though he certainly had the strength and speed to challenge the faster riders up front. I was amazed that he wasn't tempted to race on up the road and instead patiently and kindly assisted everyone up the hills. I talked with him a good bit at your house, especially on Sunday after our ride.

What a great loss.

Douglas, please give my condolences to Dennis' family and friends. They and you are in my prayers and thoughts.

Tom

weisan
07-04-2005, 02:42 PM
Thanks for writing this up doc. Make me pause to think: "Just whatkinda legacy I want to leave behind for my children, my family, and my friends...?"

dirtdigger88
07-04-2005, 03:14 PM
I am shocked and saddened by the news. I will never forget meeting Dennis last year at the TdFL- He was more than happy to keep turning around and picking up stragglers while most of us were more than happy to rest at the top of the hill-

Sad news for a holiday weekend

Jason

gasman
07-04-2005, 04:45 PM
What a sad loss at such a young age. My condolances to his family. Even though I never met the man he sounds like a wonderful person.

Ginger
07-04-2005, 05:28 PM
Thank you Douglas for painting a picture I couldn't.

Dennis was just as you all remember him, not just at the TdFL, but at every Flying Rhino ride and function I saw him at. Kind, considerate, patient, knowledgable, and a strong, skilled rider as well. This world has lost a very fine soul.

Mary Ann

FlaRider
07-04-2005, 06:30 PM
Like many of us, I met Dennis at Douglas's house at last year's Tour de Finger Lakes. Afterwards, we exchanged a few e-mails about coaching and training with power meters. He struck me as a kind, compassionate person, keenly intelligent and deeply passionate about cycling. My condolences to his wife and family. He will be sorely missed.

Len J
07-04-2005, 06:47 PM
there may not be as much time as we all think.

Sounds like a genuinely good guy, and a loss to all of us. My condolences to his family and friends.

Len

Dduru
07-04-2005, 06:51 PM
Some additional reflections on Dr. Cotcamp from a former student,

- he was voted best clinical instructor/teacher on numerous occasions (including the class of 2002) by the Michigan State College of Human Medicine medical students for his devotion to teaching and medical education.

- his PICU rotation as a 4th year medical student was one of the most highly sought rotations for all medical students at Michigan State. It received rave reviews, mainly due to Dr. Cotcamp's teaching and willingness to give medical students the responsibility of "real doctors" without the malignancy associated with most rotations like this.

- the first time I met Dr. Cotcamp was during a lecture in his office (he always made his students welcome in his world, rather than a bland "conference room") - and after seeing a couple pieces of cycling memorabilia and asking some random cycling questions, he easily "hooked me" onto the sport of cycling. Occasionally I would stop by for a medical lecture and the topic of the day would turn from the various forms of mechanical ventilation into resting heart rates, power outputs, and his thoughts on cycling and other endurance sports. He truly loved the sport (after years of beating himself up running - including multiple Boston Marathons), and eventually built up my first road bike - a Raleigh International with a combination of Shimano and Campy parts. The funny part is when I asked how much it cost, he shook his head, laughed, and said "thank you", because his wife saw a bike leaving the house, but she didn't know he had 5 more coming in. He was an exceptionally gifted and humane physician who I always admired for his intelligence, devotion to patients, and ability to balance family, career, and love of sport. He will be missed.

David DuRussel, MD

hypnos
07-04-2005, 07:53 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting Dennis last August at DBRK's place. What a guy! The news brings a tear to my eye.

H.Frank Beshear
07-04-2005, 09:34 PM
Our familys thoughts and prayers are with them. Douglas is there an address where we might send a card, or a favorite charity where we can a memorial in his name? Frank

dbrk
07-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Our familys thoughts and prayers are with them. Douglas is there an address where we might send a card, or a favorite charity where we can a memorial in his name? Frank

Thanks for the kind thought, Frank, I'm sure many of us feel the same way. Dennis was an incredibly generous soul. He built and gave away dozens of bikes over the years simply to inspire young and old to take up our passion, as it's already been noted. Truly, he loved to ride more than anyone I have ever known and expressed that devotion both in his own efforts and in those he made for others. Cycling was, however, just one among many ways he offered himself to others with selfless gifts of time, effort, and value.

I will be travelling to Saginaw on Wednesday morning to visit with the Cotcamp family. At that time I'll find out how they might wish us, Dennis's cycling friends and community, to respond.

dbrk

RichMc
07-05-2005, 02:25 AM
I get the news late out here in the west. He will definitely have a prayer said for him and most sincere condolences to his family.

Tom
07-05-2005, 05:55 AM
When you read about somebody that maybe you never met but who profoundly affected so many others for the better and who won't be around any more it is a sad thing. Dr. Brooks, carry a thought for me to Dr. Cotcamp's family. I put a few of my own onto the wind but I never know if they get there.

cpg
07-05-2005, 12:54 PM
I didn't know Dennis well but he profoundly impacted my life. He ordered a frame from me last year and this kept us connected via email and the occasional phone call. Through this process I learned what he did for a living. About one year ago, my son had a seizure in the middle of the night. After a night in the emergency room, we learned that Jack had a febrile seizure. We had never heard of this but were assured my the docs and research we did later that these weren't uncommon, he would outgrow them and there's no negative effects from them. This was a relief but still I was really traumatized from the event. I held him in my arms as Jack convulsed. A week after the event I called Dennis. He reassured me again that febrile seizures were scary but no big deal He also shared that he had had 13 of them as a child. I had always respected Dennis' opinion and for some reason hearing all of this from him put my mind at ease. Six months later Jack had another seizure and I was with him during it. While it was occuring I quickly thought of Dennis. This took all of the fear away during and after the episode. Dennis was one of those people that healed others just by virtue of being who he was. He had a gift and I was fortunate enough to have received a healing of sorts from him. Thank you Dennis. You will be missed but the world was made better by your life and spirit.

Curt

christian
07-05-2005, 06:06 PM
I only knew Dennis via the net, but we exchanged quite a few emails over this winter, as I had a chance to get him a set of studded 650B Nokians when I was traveling in Sweden.

He was a true cycling enthusiast, and a great guy in every respect. He will be sorely missed.

My thoughts are with his family. Hug your loved ones tonight.

- Christian

dbrk
07-06-2005, 07:40 AM
I found this obiturary. I'm leaving for Saginaw in a few hours and will be sure to pass along our Forum's condolences.

dbrk

"Cotcamp, Dennis H. M.D.
Saginaw Twp., Michigan

Passed away suddenly Saturday morning July 2, 2005. Age 50 years. Dennis Hugh Cotcamp was born July 20, 1954 in Ithaca, New York to Hugh and Sylvia (Henderson) Cotcamp. He was married to Nancy Grapes on May 22, 1976 in Traverse City, Mich. She survives him. Dennis was the director of the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit at Covenant HealthCare. He attended Albion College and the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, graduating in 1980. After completing residencies in anesthesia, pediatrics, and a fellowship in pediatric intensive care, he worked at Children’s Hospital in Cincinnati, Ohio for eight years. The family moved to Saginaw in 1994. He truly enjoyed teaching residents and medical students throughout his career. In addition to being an avid reader, Dennis was a passionate swimmer, runner, and most recently bicyclist. Dennis dearly loved his biking friends, and took special pleasure in mentoring young people who were interested in bike racing. He was an active member of the Flying Rhino Cycling Club. Dennis was a wonderful father to Ann and Sarah. His pride was immeasurable in their various endeavors. Surviving besides his wife Nancy are two daughters: Ann Cotcamp, University of Chicago, and Sarah Cotcamp, Swarthmore College; his parents, Hugh and Sylvia Cotcamp; three sisters: Sue Cotcamp; Mary Kolozsvary and her fiance Dan Mouthann and Patty (Kyle) Barney; also several nieces and nephews. Dennis was preceded in death by an infant son Thomas Cotcamp.

Memorial Service will take place 11:00 am Thursday at Holy Spirit Catholic Church, 1035 N. River Road, in Shields. Fr. John Mancini and Fr. David Parsch will co-officiate. Friends may call at the Deisler Funeral Home 2233 Hemmeter Rd. (off State) on Wednesday from 6:00p.m to 9:00p.m and on Thursday from10:00 a.m. until time of service. In lieu of flowers please consider a donation to Michigan Rails to Trails.

If you would like to share your thoughts and memories with the family please do so at the funeral home or www.deislerfuneralhome.com"

e-RICHIE
07-06-2005, 09:44 AM
a link provided by a pal of dennis':
http://www.legacy.com/saginaw/LegacySubPage2.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=14457235
e-RICHIE©™®

Ginger
07-07-2005, 10:04 AM
Dennis was a respected member of the Flying Rhino Cycling Club. There is a memorial ride planned for this evening:

This Thursday Night gravel road ride (July 7, 2005) will be a memorial
ride in Dennis Cotcamp's honor.
This will be a casual "slow pace" ride approximately 25 miles. The intent of this ride is to honor and remember Dennis and his love for bicycles, a time to be with friends, and a time to reflect.
Please join us at Kinetics bicycle shop (Clarkston, MI) 6:30pm all are welcome, please bring your mountain, or cross bike.