PDA

View Full Version : S-WORKS Road Shoe -- First Impression

regularguy412
07-24-2011, 10:35 PM
Lately I've been agonizing over getting a new pair of cycling shoes. I've always worn Shimano shoes. I had the first ever (as far as I know) 'carbon' soled road shoes back in about 1989. Those had a small , approx. 2 in. x 2 in. patch of carbon in the center of the sole forefoot with 3 studs sticking out with cap nuts used to attach the cleat. I finally wore those out and replaced them in about 1995 with Shimano's new road shoe - full carbon sole and 3 straps. LOVED those shoes. Wore them completely OUT. The heel cups finally tore loose from the carbon last. I didn't get new ones as I had not ridden since those shoes were on their last legs. Finally got 2 'new' pairs of Shimano shoes in 2006, mistakenly thinking that the they would fit the same. They didn't. But alas, I had purchased them and suffered with them until today. I just couldn't get the cleat back far enough on those shoes and the forefoot was a bit more cup-shaped than the older model.

Fast forward to today. I spent about a half hour riding and adjusting the SWORKS Road Shoes yesterday and today went for a 60 miler up in the hills. Absolutely worth the $300+ dollars I paid. They fit just like my 'old' Shimano shoes but are much lighter. Specialized has also made improvements to the BOA closure system. No longer must you release the entire tension and then tighten again, if you want to only slightly reduce the tightness of the shoe while riding. Now you just twist the opposite direction and the micro-adjuster loosens a bit.

I realize it's only one ride, but so far, nothing but good to say about'em. Cleat setup was pretty easy, too. I'm using Campy Pro Fit cleats w/ right shoe shimmed 4 mm to compensate for an injury.

I'll know more in a week or two, after I get a few hundred miles on them.

Mike in AR:beer:

rnhood
07-25-2011, 05:49 AM
The S-Works shoes are superb, though ridiculously expensive. The best news is that the Expert model is considerably less money and fits virtually the same.

gearguywb
07-25-2011, 06:32 AM
Switched to the S-works a couple months ago and I am in love :)

slowandsteady
07-25-2011, 06:33 AM
Awesome shoe!

FlashUNC
07-25-2011, 06:53 AM
Same here. Swapped over at the start of the season and haven't looked back.

Yes they're expensive, but something of a bargain when compared to the price of top-of-the-line shoes from other manufacturers.

weiwentg
07-25-2011, 06:55 AM
I'm wearing a pair of size 40 women's S-Works. They're the same last and materials as the men's, but the heels are narrower. They fit about a C width foot - and my feet are Cs with narrow heels.

I like the Boa system, and the shoes are very light. I decided to try them on, and if they didn't fit I was going to go full custom with D2s. I'll hold off on the D2s.

regularguy412
07-25-2011, 08:14 AM
I'm wearing a pair of size 40 women's S-Works. They're the same last and materials as the men's, but the heels are narrower. They fit about a C width foot - and my feet are Cs with narrow heels.

I like the Boa system, and the shoes are very light. I decided to try them on, and if they didn't fit I was going to go full custom with D2s. I'll hold off on the D2s.

The fitter at my LBS used custom Rocket 7's for years. Always had foot pain on one side. While at one of his fit training sessions, Andy Pruitt put him on the table and set up a pair of SWORKS shoes just for him to try out. He ended up purchasing the shoes. He said that even though the Rocket 7's had been made for him, the SWORKS fit better and, when properly set up, completely relieved the foot pain. I guess it's kinda like a barber trying to give himself a haircut -- not the easiest thing to do doing your own fit.

That endorsement by my fitter was good enough for me. I tried them on in the shop and they felt great. The big advantage for me is that I can now get the cleat back far enough. There's even a little bit of further aft adjustment room left!

Looking forward to this week to see how my feet feel after doing several days in a row in them.

Mike in AR:beer:

weiwentg
07-25-2011, 08:47 AM
The S-Works shoes are superb, though ridiculously expensive. The best news is that the Expert model is considerably less money and fits virtually the same.

I paid $371 ($350 before tax) for mine. Sidis are comparable in price, though! Bont A-Ones list at $300-400. Lake's top end shoe lists at $470. Are you saying that most top end shoes are ridiculously expensive, or that Specialized is more expensive than other top end shoes?

Yes, the Expert model is significantly less at $275. It doesn't have the Boas and it's a bit heavier. But people have got by just fine with ratchets. I was vain, so I went with the S-Works.

Kupe
07-25-2011, 10:07 AM
I made the "mistake" of trying on a pair of these earlier this year. Good Lawd they're comfy! However, when I got to researching them, I came across instances of the carbon soles cracking and the dials for the BOA laces crapping out. I'm a little leery of laying out that kind of scratch if there are durability issues. Anybody know if this has been resolved?

povofphilos
07-25-2011, 10:11 AM
def will be my next shoe (after i buy some MTB shoes)

weiwentg
07-25-2011, 10:17 AM
FYI, someone's selling a pair of men's 41 on weightweenies.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=90640

rnhood
07-25-2011, 10:21 AM
I paid $371 ($350 before tax) for mine. Sidis are comparable in price, though! Bont A-Ones list at $300-400. Lake's top end shoe lists at $470. Are you saying that most top end shoes are ridiculously expensive, or that Specialized is more expensive than other top end shoes?

Yes, the Expert model is significantly less at $275. It doesn't have the Boas and it's a bit heavier. But people have got by just fine with ratchets. I was vain, so I went with the S-Works.

Yes, I'm saying top shelf shoes are expensive. They charge what the market will bear, so I can't complain too much. I think gas is expensive too but, the same applies.

The "Expert" model does incorporate a single Boa, and costs $200. You are probably thinking of the "Pro" model. I like the fit of the "Expert" better than the "Pro". It feels very much like the S-Works. But all three of these are very good shoes.

wooly
07-25-2011, 11:28 AM
Agreed - made the change from Shimano 7 years ago and haven't looked back. I went with the Pro version first then got the s-works version about 3 years ago. I don't think I will ever change because they are that good.

oldguy00
07-25-2011, 11:37 AM
I tried a pair, and found them to be a bit on the narrow side. If you normally use a wider shoe, like an e-width Shimano, you will probably find the S-Works a bit too narrow in the mid-foot.
Otherwise, yeah, nice shoes!

jonnyBgood
07-25-2011, 12:41 PM
I made the "mistake" of trying on a pair of these earlier this year. Good Lawd they're comfy! However, when I got to researching them, I came across instances of the carbon soles cracking and the dials for the BOA laces crapping out. I'm a little leery of laying out that kind of scratch if there are durability issues. Anybody know if this has been resolved?

I have THREE pair of the S-Works road shoes (White/ Neon Orange, White/Red and Neon Yellow) and two pair of the Mountain shoes (Black and White).

One pair of the Road shoes is 3 1/2 years old and I have never had any of the carbon soles crack or creak or anything and I weight 190lbs. The BOA system can get a little dirty but if you clean them from time to time (every two months) and spray a little silicon spray on them they work perfect. The BOA system has a lifetime warranty so if you have any issues take them to your local shop and you can trade for new ones and your set. I had one issue with a pair that the BOA laces got a kink in them and they were replaced for free.

Specialized has a one year warranty for manufactures defects and a LIFETIME warranty on it's stitching so that should cover pretty much everything.

I my opinion they are the best shoe on the markets hands down. I have recommended them to four of my ridding buddies and they all have them now and would tell you the same.

Mike748
07-25-2011, 12:56 PM
I love my 2 pr of S-works road shoes. But when I went MTB shoe shopping I ended up with the Pro's as they were more comfortable (for me) than the S-Works. Learned you gotta try em on...

Cdub
07-25-2011, 01:47 PM
I have three pair. I switched to sidi ergo 2 this year and hate them. Luckily I have a brand new pair of sworks in the top of the closet. They are worth every penny. I had a boa issue on one of the first models (Specialized replaced for free), but nothing in the last three years. very good shoes.

pdmtong
07-25-2011, 02:32 PM
I have three pair. I switched to sidi ergo 2 this year and hate them. Luckily I have a brand new pair of sworks in the top of the closet. They are worth every penny. I had a boa issue on one of the first models (Specialized replaced for free), but nothing in the last three years. very good shoes.

I'm the reverse. I prefer my ergo 2 over my s-works for fit.

that said, it's personal. the s-works is a GREAT shoe and amazingly light.

if it was my only shoe I would be happy

also note sizing...need 44.5 in sidi and 44 in specialized, shimano, DMT

xeladragon
07-25-2011, 02:36 PM
I have the S-Works road shoe from... '09? They have the older BOA lacing system that doesn't allow you to loosen them ever so slightly without loosening them all the way. Fit is great though. I'm also a fan of my Mavic Fury MTB shoes. If I had to choose one, I'd probably have to give a slight edge to Mavic, because with the BOA system, I'm prone to occasional over-tightening. :crap:

firerescuefin
07-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Great info on the Specialized. Given the feedback here, may give them a try as I have been riding Sidis for basically 13 years.

I have grown accustomed to the Sidis and like being able to replace wear items at a reasonable cost as they wear out. A couple of LBS even carry them (parts) on the shelf.

rinconryder
07-25-2011, 02:50 PM
The only other shoe I would consider besides Sidi. You put them on and they feel like a glove. Specialized has the shoe thing nailed.

Crazy Chris
07-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Does Specialized make a decent mountain bike shoe? I'm now wearing a pair of Sidis with the Crank Bros. pedal. Thanks.

CJV

pdmtong
07-25-2011, 07:08 PM
I have the 2010 s-works carbon sole mtb shoe...amzingly light like a slipper BUT if you hike -a-bike a lot or run through rocks, you might look elsewhere. I am using mine for XC where I don't have to get much. awesome shoe. one boa.

for the hiking trails I use shimano 225's...they have a molded bumper that wraps the front of the toe box and sides.

Nelson99
07-25-2011, 11:00 PM
But, that said, I use and am very pleased with Spec shoes. I use them for mountain and road riding, have pairs at several price points, and find them all very good (including their winter shoe). The closest fit I have found to Spec shoes is Northwave, but I like Spec better.

I do have one complaint about their mtb shoes, and that is the lack of a plastic heel cup. When cranking difficult sections, my heel will sometimes hit the crank or chainrings, which easily eat a leather heel. I've repaired older shoes with hardware cloth and duct tape on the heel, and taken to coating the inner surface of new heels with epoxy. But really, the toe and heel of mtb shoes should be plastic, no matter how much I love leather...

Does Specialized make a decent mountain bike shoe? I'm now wearing a pair of Sidis with the Crank Bros. pedal. Thanks.

CJV

buldogge
07-26-2011, 12:15 AM
Can anyone comment on going down a level in the Specialized shoes...especially the MTB shoes? Comps or Pros instead of S-Works...hard to swallow that $300+ bullet.

I love my Specialized Sonomas...but...am looking for something lighter, with a recessed SPD cleat.

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

pdmtong
07-26-2011, 12:21 AM
mark,
specialized is notorious for trickle down, meaningthe 2011 s-works becomes the 2012 pro....

you can do a jedi mind trick and buy the pro, just tell yourself it was last years s-works (which is true)

now the tarmac SL4 is here.....tough to buy the top of the line at full retail and then be obsolete in 9 months

buldogge
07-26-2011, 12:39 AM
Hey...2011 Pros are actually listed at 10g lighter than 2012. Of course, you're also giving up the BOA system with the Pros...good or bad??

The 2011 S-Works can be had for $285....worth the admission price? Pros are $195.

TA
-Mark

mark,
specialized is notorious for trickle down, meaningthe 2011 s-works becomes the 2012 pro....

you can do a jedi mind trick and buy the pro, just tell yourself it was last years s-works (which is true)

now the tarmac SL4 is here.....tough to buy the top of the line at full retail and then be obsolete in 9 months

rice rocket
07-26-2011, 01:05 AM
Link to $285 S-works shoes?

MSRP is $350, and Specialized keeps most their dealers on a tight leash.