PDA

View Full Version : Getting old, considering a compact

jischr
07-24-2011, 09:48 PM
The 53/39 seems harder to push than it used to. But I don't want to buy a completely new drive train. Does anyone make a compact double that works on an Octalink V1 bottom bracket?

Thanks

rice rocket
07-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Ritchey WCS is your only option I believe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ritchey-WCS-Compact-Crankset-50-34-175mm-New-/230651574653?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b3e7b97d#ht_500wt_1204

That said, why are you attached to Octalink? A brand new Dura-Ace 7900 BB is less than $30.

kramnnim
07-24-2011, 10:50 PM
That said, why are you attached to Octalink? A brand new Dura-Ace 7900 BB is less than $30.

And lots easier to find than an Octalink...

sean
07-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Not to mention it opens up a lot more possibilities.

eddief
07-24-2011, 11:14 PM
fat cassette and mt. rear derailleur.

or new compact off the bay cheeep.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-R4550-170mm-34-50t-Compact-Crank-Silver-/200607774421?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb527b6d5

The 53/39 seems harder to push than it used to. But I don't want to buy a completely new drive train. Does anyone make a compact double that works on an Octalink V1 bottom bracket?

Thanks

fogrider
07-24-2011, 11:26 PM
I have a compact on 3 bikes, but I also have a serotta with a 12/28 cassette. I took the 39 off and installed a 38. pretty close to the gearing of a compact with 11x25.

bicycletricycle
07-24-2011, 11:29 PM
sugino ha smade a compact that works on v1

oliver1850
07-25-2011, 12:15 AM
Are you having trouble getting up the hills, or are you just not using the big ring much? What's your large cog now?

BobbyJones
07-25-2011, 12:48 AM

Thanks

To answer your question directly and repeat what's been said (with added info):

Ritchey- but I don't think they're making 'em anymore. All NOS stuff out there thats probably 5 years old

Sugino makes new ones, called the Alpina 800D (or Cospea SP) and are wicked hard to find in the US in Octalink. I don't think they're a QBP part, and it was a no go with the LBS around here for ordering. They're lightweight and gorgeous in silver. Unfortunately, the only ones I've seen as a regularly carried item are in black (not so gorgeous) at benscycle.net @ around 150 bucks.

If you're of open mind to alternate suggestions, I'd follow the advice to just jump to something like an ultegra 66xx crank new off ebay for $100 with a $30 ultegra BB

Ken Robb
07-25-2011, 11:01 AM
I have 50-34 Ritchey with 9spd. Campy on my Strada Bianca and it works fine.

One of my pals is in a group that takes a BIG trip every year to ride and climb. He swaps his 9 spd. DA 11-25 cassette and rear derailer for for XT rear derailer and 11-34 cassette for trips to the alps and Rockies and swaps back when he gets back to San Diego. He says it's a really easy swap. I don't know if that kind of setup will get you the gear spreads you like.

cnighbor1
07-25-2011, 11:43 AM
I add a Campagnolo compact crankset to my 90'schorus set up. Everything worked. No changes requried other than to lower front deraileur and adjust indexing a bit

thwart
07-25-2011, 12:31 PM
If you're of open mind to alternate suggestions, I'd follow the advice to just jump to something like an ultegra 66xx crank new off ebay for $100 with a $30 ultegra BB Best answer, IMO.

Probably could find something under $100, actually.

The deal with 'mountain' cassettes is that you lose a good part of that nice closely spaced gearing that we all appreciate. You know, the same thing that persuaded all the component manufacturers to move gradually from a 5 speed freewheel to 11 speed cassettes... ;)

Ken Robb
07-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Is there any chance that a bike with braze-on derailer won't allow it to be lowered enough for a compact? I'd guess a 50 ring is no problem but maybe a 48 or 46 could be a problem.

FlashUNC
07-25-2011, 12:59 PM
Is there any chance that a bike with braze-on derailer won't allow it to be lowered enough for a compact? I'd guess a 50 ring is no problem but maybe a 48 or 46 could be a problem.

That is an issue with some Trek 5200 OCLV frames, depending on the year it was made. The braze-on tab simply won't get the FD down low enough to get into a good shift position. I've read (maybe even on this forum) that Trek would send you a replacement that worked with a compact if you asked for it, but it seems the easier solution is -- carefully -- dremeling out the tab a bit to get the derailleur lower.

97CSI
07-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Why not a triple? At worst, you would need a new FD along with the crankset/BB. Much wider range of gearing available and no 'dead-zone', as is often the case with a compact.

rccardr
07-25-2011, 01:01 PM
If you want to keep the Octalink V1, FSA makes a very nice 130 BCD 50 tooth ring & Bikes Direct has it for about $42. It's a direct fit to the Shimano crankset, and if you pair it with a Shimano 38 inner ring like I did on my Dancelli, you're as close to a compact as you're going to get with an Octalink unless you can find one of those Ritchey's.

If you're willing to swap out the BB and want new parts but would rather not break the bank, look into a Truvativ square taper compact. I have them on my Corsa Extra and Tempo & although they can be hard to find they shift great, wear well and come in both a silver and a black finish. Total cost for a new BB and crankset = $100 +/-.

For more money you can pick up a dandy Sugino square taper compact from Velo Orange (they sell at least two). Gorgeous, but they are 48/34 and 110BCD. Paired with a VO BB they are very smooth and shift like any high end Sugino product. If the 48 ring is too small, Bikes Direct also sells a 50 tooth 110 BCD ring. Total cost is more like $200 for that combo, but you get to use the nifty VO BB which is a premium product.

As mentioned previously, check the braze on tab for clearance. Usually not a problem to go from a 52/53 to a 50, but a 48 can pose issues.

veloduffer
07-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Why not a triple? At worst, you would need a new FD along with the crankset/BB. Much wider range of gearing available and no 'dead-zone', as is often the case with a compact.

+1

While my old legs enjoy having a lower gear provided by the compact, I find my self shifting alot more between the big and small chainrings to find the right gear. Not so with the triple on my touring bike with a small block cassette, I find the right gear usually in one or two clicks.

buck-50
07-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Only thing that sucks with triples is that they're usually 53/42/whatever- so if you're used to a 53/39 crank and you are looking for easier gears, you end up with a big ring that's the same as before, a middle ring that's bigger than your old one and a granny gear you end up needing more because of that 42...

That said it's not hard to just switch the 42 ring to a 39...

dancinkozmo
07-25-2011, 02:22 PM
,,,be careful if buying the ritchey compact crank off e-bay...there was a breakage problem and a recall on some of them.

palincss
07-25-2011, 02:27 PM

Thanks

VO has a lovely Sugino Alpina 110 crank currently on sale for $145
http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/cranksets/cranks/sugino-alpina-crankset.html Comes with 34/48 rings. It's square taper, but at that price why not get a new bottom bracket as well?

RPS
07-25-2011, 02:42 PM
Only thing that sucks with triples is that they're usually 53/42/whatever- so if you're used to a 53/39 crank and you are looking for easier gears, you end up with a big ring that's the same as before, a middle ring that's bigger than your old one and a granny gear you end up needing more because of that 42...

That was correct a while back but doesn't apply today, at least not to Shimano cranks.

The standard middle ring has been 39 T for years. On Ultegra the ratios are 52-39-30 and on some lower end groups like 105 Shimano uses 50-39-30.

I was completely sold on the 42T for years when I rode mostly with groups at much faster speeds, but now that I ride solo most of the time I think I'd like to try the 39T middle. In fact, I'm still looking for the right 50-39-30 cranks in black. ;) So far 105 is the nicest I can find.

pdmtong
07-25-2011, 02:43 PM

Thanks

IMHO better investment to spend the extra $ and upgrade to outboard BB.

why are you holding the purchase hostage to octalink?

rccardr
07-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Exactly! That's the one I got for my upcoming Professional build, although I'll set it up with a 50 tooth big ring. VO's 110mm bottom bracket is a thing of beauty...

firerescuefin
07-25-2011, 02:46 PM

You would be hard pressed to find anything you couldn't climb easily with a compact and an 11-28/13-29 etc.

Triples tend to be finicky/pain to dial in/kept dialed in....but as they say, opinions are like...

97CSI
07-25-2011, 02:46 PM
That was correct a while back but doesn't apply today, at least not to Shimano cranks.

The standard middle ring has been 39 T for years. On Ultegra the ratios are 52-39-30 and on some lower end groups like 105 Shimano uses 50-39-30.

I was completely sold on the 42T for years when I rode mostly with groups at much faster speeds, but now that I ride solo most of the time I think I'd like to try the 39T middle. In fact, I'm still looking for the right 50-39-30 cranks in black. ;) So far 105 is the nicest I can find.And, with the cost of TA replacement rings you can pick pretty much anything you want for very little money. I'm running 50/40/26 with a 12-23 rear and works very well in the flat land locally and with a 13-29 in the mountains and a 12-26 for anything in between.

roydyates
07-25-2011, 03:00 PM
+1

While my old legs enjoy having a lower gear provided by the compact, I find my self shifting alot more between the big and small chainrings to find the right gear. Not so with the triple on my touring bike with a small block cassette, I find the right gear usually in one or two clicks.

I have a weakness for triples but the likely problem with a triple is that it means you need to replace the left shifter. A 6600 or R700 compact double is the easy low-cost solution.

RPS
07-25-2011, 03:10 PM
I have a weakness for triples but the likely problem with a triple is that it means you need to replace the left shifter. A 6600 or R700 compact double is the easy low-cost solution.
I agree if it's about cost and ease of conversion, althought an MTB rear derialleur and MTB cassette may be cheaper and easier still. IMO only the owner can judge what he is willing to spend to achieve a certain amount of performance along with gearing flexibility.

In addition to what you mentioned, a triple also requires a front derailleur, a rear derailleur, and most likely a new chain. I prefer that too but it's probably the most expensive option as a conversion.

Mark McM
07-25-2011, 03:21 PM

Before you decide that you need a compact crank, you should consider whether you can acheive the same thing by changing your cassette. Keep in mind that swapping a "standard" crank with 53/39 chainrings to a "compact" crank with 50/36 chainrings has the equivalent affect as making each gear 1 gear-step lower - or about the same as moving to the next larger cassette size. For example, if you have a 53/39 with an 11/23 cassette, you would get nearly the same range of gears if you swapped the crank to a 50/36 as you would if you swapped the cassette to a 12/25. Or if you currently have a 53/39 and a 12/25, you'd get the same range of gears if you swapped the crank to a 50/36 as you would if you swapped the cassette to a 13/28.

pdmtong
07-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Before you decide that you need a compact crank, you should consider whether you can acheive the same thing by changing your cassette. Keep in mind that swapping a "standard" crank with 53/39 chainrings to a "compact" crank with 50/36 chainrings has the equivalent affect as making each gear 1 gear-step lower - or about the same as moving to the next larger cassette size. For example, if you have a 53/39 with an 11/23 cassette, you would get nearly the same range of gears if you swapped the crank to a 50/36 as you would if you swapped the cassette to a 12/25. Or if you currently have a 53/39 and a 12/25, you'd get the same range of gears if you swapped the crank to a 50/36 as you would if you swapped the cassette to a 13/28.

there was a great discussion on this a few years ago...us campy guys using a std crank with a 13-29...verus compact/13-26.

DOH...just need to make sure the RD cage can accomodate the added chain as well

97CSI
07-25-2011, 03:43 PM
I have a weakness for triples but the likely problem with a triple is that it means you need to replace the left shifter. A 6600 or R700 compact double is the easy low-cost solution.Reason #37 to use Campy. Don't have that problem.

palincss
07-25-2011, 04:52 PM
You would be hard pressed to find anything you couldn't climb easily with a compact and an 11-28/13-29 etc.

The roads at Bike Virginia this year were lined with people who had to dismount and walk because they couldn't climb the hills with their compact cranks. One very strong rider I know had to dismount and walk 17 times on one ride. A 34x28 is only a 32" gear. I climbed a lot of those climbs with a 24x30.

firerescuefin
07-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Perhaps they were riding a straight block in the back......VERY hard for me to believe with a 29 or bigger in the back.

I've towed a 80 pound trailer up mountain passes here with compact (34 and a 27 in the back)...it wasn't easy, but I didn't get off the bike or dismount "17 times"...My point is not to sound like a jerk, but I will stand by what I said, a compact with a 29 in the back will get most over anything they're going to come across.

palincss
07-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Perhaps they were riding a straight block in the back......VERY hard for me to believe with a 29 or bigger in the back.

Over a mile and a half of climbing at over 12% grade? Not hard at all to believe people would be walking. And there were plenty of them. This was an exceptionally hard Bike Virginia, in the New River Valley.

firerescuefin
07-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Treuce....I edited my post above. A triple certainly gives you more options. Ones definition of fit or strong is varying. I am a big fan of the compact living in Colorado, although I am running a 53/39 right now. I have had to put a 29 in the back with that crank to be able to maintain an 80+cadence with my normal sustained power output for climbs.

Pete Serotta
07-25-2011, 05:12 PM
when he was on his last Ride the Rockies. worked fine for him. :cool: PETE

I have 50-34 Ritchey with 9spd. Campy on my Strada Bianca and it works fine.

One of my pals is in a group that takes a BIG trip every year to ride and climb. He swaps his 9 spd. DA 11-25 cassette and rear derailer for for XT rear derailer and 11-34 cassette for trips to the alps and Rockies and swaps back when he gets back to San Diego. He says it's a really easy swap. I don't know if that kind of setup will get you the gear spreads you like.

97CSI
07-25-2011, 06:17 PM
My friend in Boulder does the same with the exception of using a triple at all times. Switches to an XT and MTB cassette and works like a champ. He is using Daytona (Centaur) Ergo shifters.

Triples tend to be finicky/pain to dial in/kept dialed in....but as they say, opinions are like...No one that I know that uses a Campy triple finds them any 'fussier' than any double. Set em and forget em (with routine maintenance, of course).

kohlboto
07-25-2011, 07:04 PM
you could use a SRAM FD as they have two holes - one for standard and one for compact that drops the FD quite a bit.