PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys? anyone ever flee from JAVALINA?

learningtoride
07-24-2011, 02:21 PM
I went out predawn today to get a ride in before the icky weather of the day and as I was heading out of the more rural desert I hear some weird noises and turns out I was being chased by a freaking JAVALINA! For those of you unfamiliar with desert wildlife, that would be a wild hairy prehistoric looking pig!!! I have NEVER seen one up close in all my years of living in Az. I didnt know what to do but I looked forward and peddled with my life at stake! lol. Man that was seriously intense! So I was wondering if any of my fellow desert riders have ever experienced anything like this... Survival tips? :eek:

97CSI
07-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Have hunted them with a pistol and rifle from horseback, but generally they are on the run. Unlike feral pigs, they are not known as 'dangerous' game. Do you have stinky shoes/insoles? :confused: ;)

san
07-24-2011, 02:45 PM
wow. that sounds intense! do u have pictures? haha all kidding aside, those things are ugly bastards.
http://www.dl-digital.com/images/West-Texas/DSC_3239-javelina.jpg

gdw
07-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Did the chase occur near Globe by any chance?

zmudshark
07-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Man that was seriously intense! So I was wondering if any of my fellow desert riders have ever experienced anything like this... Survival tips? :eek:

Yes, seen (smelled) them. They will attack. My advice is to ride with someone slower. Also works with dogs. This has never failed to work for me.

Charles M
07-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Lets make sure to post average size along with picture... In the wold they generally top out at 40 pounds or so.

Don't confuse these for wild boars or hogs... Big ones would be roughly the size of a springer spaniel.

jlwdm
07-24-2011, 07:31 PM
They get bigger than 40 lbs. 60-65.

Depending on the time of year I would see them on a daily basis. More than 10 would come into our entry coutyard in AZ and eat beautiful cactus. Had to add an entry gate and a gate from a wash to our driveway. This slowed them down for awhile but then they started eating plants along the driveway.

I have been chased by them a few times on the bike but they have poor sight and rely on their sense of smell.

Jeff

LouDeeter
07-24-2011, 07:41 PM
My daughter lived in Scottsdale for a year. One morning, she and her Jack Russell went out for a 1/2 mile walk to Starbucks. On the way back, the Javelinas started stalking, then aggressively rushing them. They ran across traffic to escape them. She thinks they were after her dog.

false_Aest
07-24-2011, 07:49 PM
taste good?

97CSI
07-24-2011, 08:10 PM
If cooked correctly. Google for recipes.

Charles M
07-24-2011, 09:00 PM
the wild ones that might chase you wont often get past 40...

Townies might see 60 but you would really have to go at em with their babies to get em to do much but run away.

If you startle a pack of wild ones, the Alpha might run at you for a very short while. If you have an animal with you, a pack will get plenty pissed.

zmudshark
07-24-2011, 09:04 PM
I think a guy out in Fountain Hills was attacked by some earlier this year.

TMB told me about it.

Just did a search, yep, went after his dog, not all that uncommon. Seems they don't much care for dogs.

rickbb
07-25-2011, 05:13 AM
Many years ago, a climbing partner and I were stranded on top of a boulder for over an hour after a herd of them chased us as we were approaching a desert rock climb in the McDowells, north of Phoenix. En masse, they are daunting!

learningtoride
07-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Did the chase occur near Globe by any chance?

No. I live in Tucson and the "attack" lol was on Old Spanish Trail. I really appreciate the feedback because I was pretty distressed yesterday guys. So thanks!

old_fat_and_slow
07-25-2011, 04:08 PM
If you encounter them, you have my permission to "Terminate them with Extreme Prejudice" !

Those little b@stards effed-up "Old Yeller" ! I was/(am) scarred for life !

Levee Road
07-25-2011, 04:42 PM
The wife and I woke up to a pack of them outside our tent in Big Bend. Pretty scary to hear them rooting around in our stuff!

54ny77
07-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Cyclists: the other white meat.

learningtoride
07-25-2011, 04:55 PM
If you encounter them, you have my permission to "Terminate them with Extreme Prejudice" !

Those little b@stards effed-up "Old Yeller" ! I was/(am) scarred for life !
Well the SOB that chased me sure was alot bigger than my Jack Russell lol- easily 50lbs. I will definiately be riding that road in those hours with pepper spray to at least f em up with extreme prejudice lol. THAT I promise you! lol- I couldnt imagine eating one... Seriously looks like something from Land of the Lost! And the one that thought it was gonna have my bike and I for breakfast had TUSKS! I sure do appreciate the survival tactics you all have recommended. Ill be sure to let you know if there's any future showdowns! :beer:

sbparker31
07-25-2011, 05:39 PM
I no longer flee since I procured a top tube mounted pump -- in 12 gauge. You weight weenies out there can go with the 20 gauge, but the effect is not nearly as impressive. :banana:

slowandsteady
07-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Yes, seen (smelled) them. They will attack. My advice is to ride with someone slower. Also works with dogs. This has never failed to work for me.

POST OF THE DAY!!!

wc1934
07-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Cyclists: the other white meat.

haha - good one

Walter
07-25-2011, 08:23 PM
I too live in Tucson and ride Spanish Trail and the Park loop a lot. They are seen there often and come on to my nearby property a lot.

They are generally benign. They will protect there young. If cornered they will defend themselves. Easiest thing to do is just give them a wide berth and life will be good. They are herbivores and basically blind.

Hardly a dangerous predator to be feared.....

learningtoride
07-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Thanks Walter!!! I am a semi native to here and yet when I heard that thing grunting and running at my bike I kept thinking "NO! DONT KILL MY BIKE!" lol! see ya on the trail!

Cyclist... the other white meat has been my logo for the past 3 days now! lol
you guys rule! :beer:

1centaur
07-26-2011, 05:02 PM
omnivore, but probably not Jack Russel-sized, let alone cyclists

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peccary

cat6
07-26-2011, 05:19 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Aaron O
07-26-2011, 05:19 PM
If I saw that thing chasing me, or heard it, I'd run like the devil was on my tail.

As for Zmud's comment, why throw out another cyclist as an albino alligator? Ride by a nursing home or nursery school :D

TMB
07-31-2011, 08:51 PM

And I can't tell you how much it P's me off that that someone is usually me .......

(the perils of working for a living)

Idris Icabod
07-31-2011, 10:58 PM
I'm in Tucson too. We have a pack of wild dogs near us or at least ones that the owner sees fit to allow to roam but I think they are wild. They are the cutest looking things but they have started to wait for me it seems. Bugger knows how they catch anything to eat as I hardly have to even sprint to drop them, I've seen them trying to catch a rabbit, pretty sorry sight.

I've seen all sorts since moving here, loads of javalina but never chased. I've seen swarming bees, bob cats and two mountain lions believe it or not. So far, touch wood, nothing has fancied taking a bite out of me bar those pesky dogs.