PDA

View Full Version : I need Cyclocross tire advice...

eltonbalch
07-24-2011, 11:40 AM
I have a Cannondale Quick 1 flatbar city bike with 700-32 Continental Sport Contact tires. I'd like to ride this one on some local dirt/gravel roads and on the occasional trail (nothing too extreme). I'm looking for more suitable tires in the 700-35 to 38 range. I probably don't want to spend more than $100-150. Any suggestions?

rockdude
07-24-2011, 11:55 AM
I have on Continentals Twister Pro 700x42 (they really are about 36). These are highly coveted now that they are not made any more. They are new, although I did mount them and saw that they were not true 42's so I took them right off and put them back in the box. $65 plus shipping.

Bruce K
07-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Michelin Jets would be a good choice

For something a little mire agressive I would suggest Challenge Fangos

Look at www.CyclocrossWorld.com for the best variety of cross tires

BK

djg
07-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Are we talking clinchers? For hard ground tires that do ok on the road, some of the file tread models roll fairly well and have small side knobs for cornering in slightly more sloppy conditions. The Grifo XS is decent. Also one of the Vittoria models -- the new (black) version (XN?). I'm not sure either of these is available in a size beyond 32c, but they'll work in all sorts of stuff. I'd say either would do well as a cross (dirt, etc.) tire that rides decently on the road. But if I were looking for a mostly road tire that could handle some dirt road bits here and there, I might look more at road/touring tires.

eltonbalch
07-24-2011, 03:30 PM
Michelin Jets would be a good choice

For something a little mire agressive I would suggest Challenge Fangos

Look at www.CyclocrossWorld.com for the best variety of cross tires

BK

I considered the Michelin jets but I'm leaning towards the Continental Cyclocross Speed Kings (700-35). I will also look at the Challenge Fangos. The link really was helpful and I've bookmarked the site.

eltonbalch
07-24-2011, 03:42 PM
Are we talking clinchers? For hard ground tires that do ok on the road, some of the file tread models roll fairly well and have small side knobs for cornering in slightly more sloppy conditions. The Grifo XS is decent. Also one of the Vittoria models -- the new (black) version (XN?). I'm not sure either of these is available in a size beyond 32c, but they'll work in all sorts of stuff. I'd say either would do well as a cross (dirt, etc.) tire that rides decently on the road. But if I were looking for a mostly road tire that could handle some dirt road bits here and there, I might look more at road/touring tires.

I will check out your suggestions; the tires that are on the bike now are OK for the occasional dirt road, but I live in a hilly area and a more aggressive tire is definitely what I'm after. Most of my cycling is road/tour. My HSG and Trek Madone get lots of use; there are lots of country dirt roads in my area and I'd just like to explore them a little more. Now, I'd REALY like a hard tail 29'er but my wife thinks I've got enough bikes to ride ;) .

overmyhead
07-25-2011, 03:22 PM
I'm planning on attending the D2R2 day and riding the short course (River Ride - 40 miles). My initial plan was to put the Continental Cyclocross Speed tires on for the ride. The site lists the course as dirt road with general trend uphill for the first half. It does not appear to be the grind that the longer rides are. I thought these might be appropriate. Anyone have any feedback or better ideas?
Thanks,
Rick

Gummee
07-25-2011, 03:30 PM
I have a pair of Racing Ralphs on one pair of wheels that I like. Small, closely spaced knobs do fairly well till you get to where you need em. I think Kenda has a similar pattern knobby out too.

The proper # of bikes is always N+1! There is no such thing as too many! They all do different things. (Ask her how many pairs of shoes is too many...)

I prefer the 'traditional' cyclocross tread for all-round use. Enough open space to roll OK, not enough to get really bogged down with mud (usually), and they slide predictably

M

veloduffer
07-25-2011, 03:41 PM
I like the Bontrager Jones tires, which work well for dirt and pavement despite a semi-aggressive pattern. I've used these for a few hundred miles on pavement, dirt roads, snow and wet road rides on my Serotta cross. Bontrager has a new-ish cross tire called the CXO but I have not seen any reviews.

If the dirt road is more toward hard pack, I also recommend the Kenda Small Block Eight, which is on my wife's cross bike.

Both tires are reasonable in price (less than $100 for the pair)

mtbwrx
07-25-2011, 05:01 PM
I exclusively ran the Kenda Small block 8's all of cross season as a training and practice race tire the last two seasons. I have tubular race rims, so I never regularly raced these, but I certainly did enough practice races on the Small Blocks to know they work well and hold up to the bike path rides or gravel fire roads or off trail ventures.

The Komando is on the block for riding and testing out for some practice races this season as well as a front / back option with a small block.

I have the Slant 6 currently on the front of my mountain bike with very good predictability in turns and pushing it into turns. So I would imagine the same type of result on the cross bike.