PDA

View Full Version : Ride Rerpot

Chief
07-03-2005, 07:55 PM
Having finished second in the 65-69 age group of the USCF's Texas State Road Race at the end of April, the Chief, feeling a little cocky after his first race ever, decided to see how he would stack up against those in the US National Road Race in Park City this past week. In order to get acclimated to the 7200 ft elevation of the race site, the Chief went to his son's home in Colorado Springs and rode 170 miles of hills over a four day period. He repeated the same loop for the first three days and found his average speed increasing with each day's work out which he took as a good sign that he was in fact acclimating to the altitude.

The Chief then drove over to Parks City to do his road race on Thursday past. The course included a one-mile out and back to a 2.5 mile circuit in an upper-end neighborhood on the side of a mountain in Deer Valley where we were to do 8 laps. The circuit was brutal and consisted of two serious climbs each with its own twisting descent that had several 90 degree turns and one 120 degree turn. There was not a flat spot on the circuit; i.e., no opportunity to recover from the climb. Each climb was preceded by a 90 degree turn which essential killed any momentum that he might have. It was more like a crit than a road race. The Chief rode his Ottrott and was really impressed how he could stick it into a corner. In fact it was hillarious to see the race marshalls directing traffic at the corners wonder which way to take evasive action--somewhat like a deer in the headlights--as the Chief approached the corner and stuck the bike into it. Turns out this was the only fun thing about the race for the Chief. At the start line the starter asked if it would be OK to reduce the number of laps from 7 to 8 since the course was very difficult. The Chief could have kissed her because this meant that we would only be doing 2500 ft of climbing over 17.5 miles.

The Chief was in the mix for the first couple of laps, but as the race went on he fell further and further behind as each climb took it toll. Near the end of his sixth lap he was lapped by the leader. Since the leader had finished his seven laps everyone had to follow him in, including the Chief. The Chief is about 100 yds behind the leader at this point (actually one lap plus 100 yds racewise). Nevertheless, the Chief experienced a brief moment of glory as he approached the finishline. The race announcer broadcasts, "Here comes our silver medalist, Carl Popelar from San Antonio, Texas, riding for Joe's Pro Bikes Racing." The Chief thinks, "Yea in your dreams." About 10 seconds later he says, "Correction, he is last." That was not true either because officially the Chief finished 14th out of group of 17 with only 15 completing the race. The first and second place finishers were from Lakewood, Co. Interestingly, there was only one crash. A guy had a new set of Zipp wheels and his brakes failed on one of the descents.

Anyway the Chief found out how he stacked up. :crap: He has been reduced to a humble brave with only a single feather after having his head dress handed to him. It has been my experience during my 67 years that if you look hard enough, you can always find someone that can beat you and sometimes you hardly have to look.

victoryfactory
07-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Till I read your post, I was considering taking it easy tomorrow
after two big days (for me that is) in the saddle.

Now I'm only considering considering taking it easy.

Thanks for the inspiration.

VF

Sandy
07-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Great story, chief. At least you have a single feather left. You could have been scalped. :)

You are in an inspiration to me, and I am just a little younger than you. We could have a 2 person race. That would assure you of first place, and would assure me of a spot on the podium. Maybe 2 spots. :)

Spotless Sandy

weisan
07-03-2005, 09:38 PM
Great story, great attitude, Chief....so, when's the BIG showdown between us' Texans? :cool:

Louis
07-03-2005, 10:01 PM
Great story, great attitude, Chief....so, when's the BIG showdown between us' Texans? :cool:

Weisan, I wouldn't mess with the Chief, he's from... Oh, never mind.

coylifut
07-03-2005, 11:12 PM
I alway look forward to your reports. Did you do the TT?

Johny
07-03-2005, 11:39 PM
It has been my experience during my 67 years that if you look hard enough, you can always find someone that can beat you and sometimes you hardly have to look.

Hey Chief,

I guess it is not a big deal: at the end of the day everyone gets beat, including Einstein. :)

Great story!

shaq-d
07-03-2005, 11:42 PM
Anyway the Chief found out how he stacked up. :crap: He has been reduced to a humble brave with only a single feather after having his head dress handed to him. It has been my experience during my 67 years that if you look hard enough, you can always find someone that can beat you and sometimes you hardly have to look.

hey chiefy! hehe, that was a fun story and pretty darn funny the way you tell it :) but how do u look at ur feather? r u a peacock in a zoo or a peacock in a jungle..

sd

Climb01742
07-04-2005, 07:11 AM
chief,
i wouldn't get too down. texas and utah are very different climates and terrains (evidenced by the two top placers being from colorado). it sounds like the course wasn't a very fair test either. having "a" climb on a circuit course is cool, even two. but the layout you describe just doesn't seem like a fair test of fitness. you didn't "fail" on the course. i think the course failed you. maybe next year the nationals will be on a course that is a truer and more equitable test. your texas placing is damn impressive. and probably a truer indicator of your fitness and skill.

Chief
07-04-2005, 10:47 AM
shaq-d--its a jungle out there.

coylifut--only the RR, I don't have a setup for a TT.

Chief
07-04-2005, 11:31 AM

You wouldn't want to try to take advantage of someone 30+ years your senior would you :D . Where is your respect for your elders. :p Let's get it on. :argue: "I'm an ole man; I'm confused. What's going on?" :confused:

Too Tall
07-04-2005, 01:44 PM
You have the cahonas to get out and race my friend. I pity those who have no accomplishments. Yours was and is one serioulsy HUGE accomplishment to bang it out with the best of the best in your age group...just getting to the line is no small thing. Way to go bro.

weisan
07-04-2005, 02:38 PM
You wouldn't want to try to take advantage of someone 30+ years your senior would you :D.

NO! At least not on a normal day. But I try to take advantage of their knowledge and experience... :D

Where is your respect for your elders. :p

Here...in my bum. I lost it the day S_A_N_D_Y took it away from me.

Let's get it on. :argue: "I'm an ole man; I'm confused. What's going on?" :confused:

Say Chief, I have a performance-related question...you don't happen to use the "ropes", do you? :D

weisan...your next-door neighbor who would love to come and wash your bike, mow the yard, or sumthin'.... :p