PDA

View Full Version : 2 Weeks in Belgium - any advice?

endosch2
07-24-2011, 05:08 AM
I have a work trip to Leuven, Belgium for two weeks at the end of August. Leuven is about 30mins west of Brussells. I have two triathlons in September and I need to keep in some shape.

I am planning on bringing my bike in my new Pika packworks case (the best thing since sliced bread).

Speaking very little Dutch is there a site or resource I could go to to hook up with to help plan rides? Is there anyone on that forum from is from that area or who can give some advice on riding there?

sokyroadie
07-24-2011, 05:41 AM
I have a work trip to Leuven, Belgium for two weeks at the end of August. Leuven is about 30mins west of Brussells. I have two triathlons in September and I need to keep in some shape.

I am planning on bringing my bike in my new Pika packworks case (the best thing since sliced bread).

Speaking very little Dutch is there a site or resource I could go to to hook up with to help plan rides? Is there anyone on that forum from is from that area or who can give some advice on riding there?

Definitely OT and won't keep you in shape - Leffe Abby ale (dark) on tap :beer: is brewed by Stella Artois - which is in Leuven.

I regret that I did not try one menu item while in Belgium - it has 4 legs, wears shoes and is/was used in glue. :eek:

Jeff

dumbod
07-24-2011, 07:23 AM
Belgium has a well-marked series of bike roads. Any tourist office should be able to help you out. Don't worry about not being able to speak Flemish. Nobody can speak Flemish. English is widely spoken.

However, you should be aware of one salient fact. According to my map Leuven is east of Brussels, not west. ;)

malcolm
07-24-2011, 09:23 AM
Lots of beer

thwart
07-24-2011, 11:41 AM
No specifics, but we spent 2 wks traveling around Belgium last fall... wife had a conference in Leuven.

I'd agree with the fact that almost all Flandrians speak English well, even older folks. On the other hand, in Wallonia... best to learn some French phrases. Brussels, in spite of its position in Belgium, is very French speaking. We started our trip there and wished many times we knew more French. Was quite a bit like being in Paris.

Take full advantage of the great beer, frites, mussels, chocolate, waffles, and generally everything else... oh, yeah, and the cycling.

Fixed
07-24-2011, 11:42 AM
bring back photos for us ..
cheers and enjoy

echappist
07-24-2011, 11:50 AM
Definitely OT and won't keep you in shape - Leffe Abby ale (dark) on tap :beer: is brewed by Stella Artois - which is in Leuven.

I regret that I did not try one menu item while in Belgium - it has 4 legs, wears shoes and is/was used in glue. :eek:

Jeff
Why drink horse urine when you have access to this?

http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/22132000/ngbbs4cf81d3e29e2d.jpg

and this

http://jaynesgastropub.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/chimay.jpg?w=432&h=287

Belgium has a well-marked series of bike roads. Any tourist office should be able to help you out. Don't worry about not being able to speak Flemish. Nobody can speak Flemish. English is widely spoken.

However, you should be aware of one salient fact. According to my map Leuven is east of Brussels, not west. ;)

What is this Flemish language of which you speak ;) ?

Edit:

Flanders is a very small area, and the RvV actually has to snake its way around Flanders in order to get in 270km. It's very possible for you to hit up all the cobbled climbs in one day if you are up for it.

phcollard
07-24-2011, 02:56 PM
Here's your gateway to cycling heaven :
http://www.fietsroute.org/indexuk.php

Familiarize yourself with the concept of cycle nodes and print a few ones before you get there.

Warning: you will despair at the bike lanes we have here in North America when you come back.

And yes, what was said: there are about 800 kinds of beer in Belgium so make sure you taste a couple. And also the traditional steak-frites. A visit to the coast around De Panne is also very lovely.

Don't try to speak French in Flanders and don't try to speek Flemish in Wallonia :beer:

PS: Since you asked in your post I'm from Liège, that makes me a Walloon :D

endosch2
07-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Ask and you shall receive - sorry I did mean to say east of Brussells - not west. I have been to Maastricht in the Netherlands for 10 days whiich is about 1 hr east for several weeks and to Brussels before. The funny thing is that I have to go over for a 2 day trip aug1-4, then go back for the last two weeks.

Thank you PHCOLLARD for that link. I will take some pics.

sg8357
07-24-2011, 06:09 PM
[QUOTE=phcollard
Don't try to speak French in Flanders and don't try to speek Flemish in Wallonia :beer:
:D[/QUOTE]

The Walloons are still pissed about the 30 Years War so listen to the mans advice.

Always ask for the local beer.

Belgium proves life can be sustained on beer, chocolate and frites.

phcollard
07-24-2011, 07:45 PM
The Walloons are still pissed about the 30 Years War so listen to the mans advice.

It's rather the fact that we've been unable to form a government for the last 406 days. That's a world record oh yeah!

But it's all politician stuff. I have very good friends in Flanders and all this language/culture problem is just food for the haters...

Bodid
07-24-2011, 08:17 PM
BRUGGE...

If you can make your way to Brugge, do it by all means. The tour of Flanders started there this year and we were lucky enough to catch the start of the race before we headed out to Antwerp. Brugge is an amazing medieval city. I was on a trip with my son on his spring break (he goes to school in St. Andrews) in early April. Brugge was the highlight of out trip through Belgium. We took a very entertaining bike tour via Quasimundo tours. A great 2 hour view of the city and I highly recommend it. The owner took us to the oldest pub in Brugge for a beer, on him! The people were great, the restaurants very good, and if you need a place to stay, I have 3-4 excellent B&B's for you to choose from, and don't forget the chocolates! BTW, try to take a tour of the Halve Moon brewery. Very entertaining and you get a lovely glass of Zot as your reward.

I've include a few shots from our trip. The aerial shot is from the roof of the brewery. If you're close you should definitely go and drink some world class beer. The Belgium train system is excellent and being such a small country, everything is within an hour or two.

jet sanchez
07-24-2011, 08:39 PM
Bring back a Merckx

http://www.2dehands.be/fietsen/?qq=merckx&afd=fietsen&pcpl=3000+Leuven&pc_id=356&afstand=-

http://nl.kapaza.be/oost-vlaanderen/fietsen-en-onderdelen?ca=8_s&md=th&q=merckx&cg=3040&w=1&ps=&pe=

Dekonick
07-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Ummm - Beer, Frites (WITH MAYO - you are not in the US... DO NOT USE KETCHUP!), steak, Mussels, Beer, rent a bike, beer... and if you can find it (no idea what it would be in flemish) L'apin a la gueze, grapes from Hoeilaart, and a white chocolate specialty from Leonidas. It is a hazlenut on top ofh creme and browns suger, on top of a thin layer of a thin sheet of nutella like stuff all covered in white chocolate... they are RICH... and to die for. Called Manon Blanc and Manon cafe blanc

http://www.caviarmore.com/buy-caviar/Leonidas-Manon-Cafe-White-Chocolate-1-lb.-p-17087.html

and

http://www.caviarmore.com/buy-caviar/Leonidas-Manon-White-Chocolate-1-lb.-p-17362.html

You can buy them individually, but I suggest getting several small boxes to bring back and give to good friends. They must be refrigerated, but are fine for a plane ride to the US...

uno-speedo
07-24-2011, 09:19 PM
To die for....

http://www.bienmanger.com/images/genre/3383-0w300h300_Lotus_Bakeries_France_Speculoos_Spread.j pg

MadRocketSci
07-25-2011, 12:32 PM
anyone have a good recipe for the Liege waffle? I'm pretty sure you'd start off with about a kg of butter for each waffle, but after that i'm not so sure...yeast? special flower? that crunchy pearl sugar? crack?

can it even be done in my $40 oster waffle iron?

mjbyl
07-25-2011, 04:14 PM
If you PM me I should be able to give you some recommendations and contacts as my family is Flemish.

Cheers,
Maarten