PDA

View Full Version : MTB in Westchester County NY

crownjewelwl
07-23-2011, 02:51 PM
So I'm about to get in the Black Sheep queue for a stHighlight. I'm gonna build it up SS for now with a Lefty. I was inspired by Jack Brunk.

Where are the best spots in Westchester to ride??

FGC
07-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Graham Hills in Pleasantville and Blue Mountain in Peekskill. It's been a while since I've been to either but I've spent a lot of time at both.

Bald Mountain in Croton is also good but I'm not sure what its status is. That was the semi-secret spot I went to as a kid.

Jack Brunk
07-23-2011, 08:57 PM
So I'm about to get in the Black Sheep queue for a stHighlight. I'm gonna build it up SS for now with a Lefty. I was inspired by Jack Brunk.

Where are the best spots in Westchester to ride??
Check your pm's. You would have been proud to ride the ST today. A rocket Ron with a 6 inch gash at mile 70 not so much. Still a epic day though.

pdbrye
07-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Ditto, Graham Hills and Blue Mountain will keep you busy for a while. I ride them all the time. Good luck with the SS though, there are some pretty steep trails in them hills! Also Saxon Woods, technically not for bikers but everyone rides there anyway. Mostly double track and a good place to try out your legs. You can have fun and get a workout in there.

Cat3roadracer
07-24-2011, 07:28 AM
I've ridden a ss in Graham Hills many times. You will be fine. A lot of fun in there. A little further North, check out Stewart single track, Google Stewart Cooperate Hunting Ground for directions. Beautiful winding single track, tens of miles of it. Perfect for ss riding.

jr59
07-24-2011, 07:38 AM
Whats the time frame for the Black sheeep?

harryschwartzma
07-24-2011, 07:57 AM
Going to Graham now! I'm on a creaky Intense Uzzi SL

And Blue has the best (most technical) trails around that are accesible via MEtro North. If you have a car, check out Ninham, Stewart Air Force Base, Hartshorne woods in NJ, as well as Ringwood, Waywayanda and I'm sure there's more.

Cunningham in Queens (Off topic but close) is pretty damned good for a city park (and I'm a very recent convert)

crownjewelwl
07-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Whats the time frame for the Black sheeep?

November!

crownjewelwl
07-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Graham hills only a stone's throw from my house so i can ride there.

Guess I'll see if im fit enuf for ss! Hopefully i dont embarass myself.

Thx all for the recos!

christian
05-24-2013, 08:57 AM
Bumping an OLD thread. We should keep this thread alive and plan some rides. BTW, anyone have a cheeeeeeeeap old 26" MTB to sell me in the Pleasantville-Chappaqua-Armonk-Mt.Kisco metroplex?

fatallightning
05-24-2013, 09:01 AM
just rode Stewart for the first time on Wednesday, definitely fun loops. some sweet rhythm whoop sections.

crownjewelwl
05-24-2013, 09:10 AM
Bumping an OLD thread. We should keep this thread alive and plan some rides. BTW, anyone have a cheeeeeeeeap old 26" MTB to sell me in the Pleasantville-Chappaqua-Armonk-Mt.Kisco metroplex?

dude...i have one...26" full suss cannondale

cheap!!

christian
05-24-2013, 09:15 AM
Sent you a PM. I'm considering that Rush in the classifieds, but I know less than nothing about MTBs so I'd like to learn on the cheap before I spend any real money.