Found Dead at 27. Another Tragedy.
So sad.

soulspinner
07-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Tortured soul ..............RIP sister.

ergott
07-23-2011, 01:55 PM
What a shame. She had serious pipes.

http://www.burgernoodle.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/amy_winehouse_020108.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L9-AvjsB6g)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L9-AvjsB6g

FlashUNC
07-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Rule of 27 strikes again.

d_man16
07-23-2011, 02:17 PM
Such A great artist.....One of my favorites. Rest in peace.

Louis
07-23-2011, 02:21 PM
When stuff like this happens I always wonder if the folks close to the afflicted celeb honestly tried to help and failed, or if they were part of the problem to begin with.

avalonracing
07-23-2011, 02:26 PM
I have people close to me with addition problems. It's really screwed up. No one really think that they are going to be the one to die. But there is a fine line between being heavily medicated and your heart actually stopping.

ultraman6970
07-23-2011, 02:29 PM
This was something that was just heading to her since who knows when. Sad anyways.

rice rocket
07-23-2011, 02:35 PM
They tried to make me go to rehab, I said "no, no, no".

Aaron O
07-23-2011, 02:43 PM
+1 - I try to save my sympathy for people who don't voluntarily destroy themselves with their own bad decisions.

Louis
07-23-2011, 02:50 PM
people who don't voluntarily destroy themselves with their own bad decisions.

It's way, way more complicated than that.

Have you ever known someone who's battled depression? Is that "voluntary?"

mike p
07-23-2011, 02:54 PM
The only surprise here is that she made it to 27 yrs of age.

Mike

tkbike
07-23-2011, 03:03 PM

+1

I have know people who suffered from depression and it "was not" voluntary!

Aaron O
07-23-2011, 03:05 PM

In fact I have. I have an addict in the family and it makes me a lot less sympathetic towards it. She had a great voice and it's a shame to see wasted talent, but at the same time there are choices involved and she decided not to grow up and to keep saying no no no.

PS- I don't see depression, I see a junkie. Free will. I'm not an Amy winehouse fan, so if she has mental issues I don't know about, my opinion is subject to change. I do think ultimately we are responsible for choices.

false_Aest
07-23-2011, 03:11 PM
It will only be tragic if we find out that she died from the effects of detox.

In the mean time, send some sympathy vibes to the family and then throw a few bucks to non-profits that desperately need the cash to help people who are trying to help themselves.

rugbysecondrow
07-23-2011, 03:14 PM

One of my favorite female singers, too bad.

Aaron O
07-23-2011, 03:15 PM
One of my favorite female singers, too bad.
I like Adele more.

jr59
07-23-2011, 03:15 PM
May she finally rest in the peace she never could find in this world.

Louis
07-23-2011, 03:17 PM
PS- I don't see depression, I see a junkie.

I was using depression as a stand-in for mental illness in general. Your post essentially said that she was voluntarily choosing to destroy herself. Clearly she had some sort of illness. I was suggesting to you that her self-destructive behavior was not necessarily voluntary.

You can label her whatever you like, but it seems to me that you're just putting people into simple categories that don't reflect the complexities of the human mind and body.

rugbysecondrow
07-23-2011, 03:22 PM
I like Adele more.

I didn't say my favorite, just one of my favorite. It seems you have an issue. It is ok not to like her, but you seem vitriolic about it.

Aaron O
07-23-2011, 03:22 PM
I was using depression as a stand-in for mental illness in general. Your post essentially said that she was voluntarily choosing to destroy herself. Clearly she had some sort of illness. I was suggesting to you that her self-destructive behavior was not necessarily voluntary.

You can label her whatever you like, but it seems to me that you're just putting people into simple categories that don't reflect the complexities of the human mind and body.
To an extent you're right, but I also think that can lead towards excusing all behaviors and defining our personalities completely by chemistry. We have free will. She had resources that most don't. There is a decision in getting involved with abuse and I think people are capable of change.

ergott
07-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Alright, everybody off the soap-boxes.

Remember what your mama told you. If you don't have anything nice to say...

Aaron O
07-23-2011, 03:23 PM
I didn't say my favorite, just one of my favorite. It seems you have an issue. It is ok not to like her, but you seem vitriolic about it.
Maybe it's anger at my own junkie. I did like her.

Louis
07-23-2011, 03:50 PM
that can lead towards excusing all behaviors and defining our personalities completely by chemistry.

I'm not trying to excuse her behaviour, just trying to understand what happened.

She had resources that most don't.

Agreed.

And yet she was not able to pull out of that tailspin. It's happened to plenty of other celebrities and will happen to plenty more. (and to folks who aren't rich and famous)

In the meantime I'll go on enjoying my own boring and stable life.

toaster
07-23-2011, 04:00 PM
It's sad. She had lots of talent and in her short life many of us got to experience that. That's quite an acheivement.

We all know that life is hard. Dying of old age peacefully in your sleep doesn't happen to most people. You go when it's time.

R.I.P.

Mattbotak
07-23-2011, 04:09 PM
"For all the success I may have, I stand in my own way." I don't think it's voluntary and she had so much talent. Very sad to hear this.

Fixed
07-23-2011, 04:36 PM
her demons won ..
sorry

djg
07-23-2011, 04:43 PM
What a shame. She had serious pipes.

http://www.burgernoodle.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/amy_winehouse_020108.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L9-AvjsB6g)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L9-AvjsB6g

Agreed, a darn shame. Terrific pipes and really . . . against hit radio(net) nowadays, how many songs stand up to tunes like Back to Black? How many performances? Or your example? Or . . .

davidlee
07-23-2011, 05:03 PM
So freaking sad.. What a natural talent.. Listen to that early stuff, timeless voice
RIP you beautiful tormented girl.. I hope you find some peace.
xo
davidlee

Bud_E
07-23-2011, 05:40 PM
So sad. I don't know much about her personal struggles but her singing came straight from the soul.

Germany_chris
07-23-2011, 05:44 PM
I agree her demons did win and it's a shame....

GRAVELBIKE
07-23-2011, 05:49 PM
It's not age that Hendrix, Jones, Joplin, Morrison, Cobain & Amy have in common - it's drug abuse, sadly.
Billy Bragg (via twitter).

Such a talented artist. Sadly, her demons were too strong. RIP.

pbbob
07-23-2011, 06:16 PM
she had a wonderful voice and like all of us she did the best that she could.

goonster
07-23-2011, 07:06 PM
nowadays, how many songs stand up to tunes like Back to Black? How many performances?
Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings. Mark Ronson's stroke of genius was to pick the Dap Kings to back up Amy on the record and on tour. There is some really great stuff in the Daptone catalog, and it is more than mere reenactment.

chuckroast
07-23-2011, 07:07 PM
It's sad and ironic all at once. So many artists are blessed with a talent that most of us don't have (and never will) and yet at the same time are cursed with demons that we'll never understand.

Enjoy and celebrate what she gave us in her short life. Have sympathy for her loved ones.

FlashUNC
07-23-2011, 07:43 PM
It's not age that Hendrix, Jones, Joplin, Morrison, Cobain & Amy have in common - it's drug abuse, sadly.
Billy Bragg (via twitter).

Such a talented artist. Sadly, her demons were too strong. RIP.

Hate to quibble on something like this, but Cobain didn't die due to drug use. Though there are some conspiracy theories espousing that.

firerescuefin
07-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Three grandparents, a parent, and a brother who were/are alcohol and drug dependent. It (A&D dependency) has destroyed my family, and impacted my life very negatively.

Real tragedy is what happened in Norway where peoples lives were stolen from them...not someone who was bent and determined to destroy their own.

SteveFrench
07-23-2011, 08:49 PM
durp durp

93legendti
07-24-2011, 06:58 AM
+1 - I try to save my sympathy for people who don't voluntarily destroy themselves with their own bad decisions.
+1.

povofphilos
07-24-2011, 07:00 AM
illuminati conspiracy theory, lol

slowgoing
07-24-2011, 07:20 AM
She was fabulous. I hadn't listed to her before her tailspin, but recently heard some of her early stuff for the first time. What a natural talent.

pbbob
07-24-2011, 07:46 AM

My sympathy goes out to all human beings regardless of what I think of their life choices and decisions.

And I think this thread is just about like the NFL walkout: Over!

bicycletricycle
07-24-2011, 09:05 AM
it is an unfortunate loss, she was a beautiful singer.

SoCalSteve
07-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Ok, I'm gonna close this one

We all have our opinions, but I think in the end, anyone who dies at age 27 ( no matter if they are a celebrity or not) is a true tragedy.

Sympathies go out to everyone grieving the loss of a very talented and troubled individual.