PDA

View Full Version : 700x32 tires, will they fit most road racing rims?

LouDeeter
07-23-2011, 01:25 PM
I'm planning to build a bike with 700x32 clincher tires. I'm wondering whether most road racing rims will accept a tire this size or do I need to find a set with extra wide rims?

zmudshark
07-23-2011, 01:28 PM
I've never had problems on the rims, but hitting the fork/brake caliper may be an issue.

LouDeeter
07-23-2011, 01:45 PM
I'm having the bike build for Canti brakes with 700x32 specified, so brake interference won't be a problem. I want to accumulate the parts beforehand though.

Pete Serotta
07-23-2011, 02:42 PM
that is touching the maybe and maybe not, based on each rim.

- Why do you want a 32 over a 25? and except for cost, why put it on light weight rims.

- Lastly - - many front forks will not work with a 32, unless they were designed for heavy touring,

- Why would you want them? folks can offer alternatives.
- What bike, frame, and specific rim - folks might have experience.

I personally never needed a 32 or even a 28, THey have different reasons for using and also have different ride charateristics

false_Aest
07-23-2011, 03:15 PM
You'll be fine.

BUT, you'll be better with A23 or C2 rims. I think Velocity makes something even wider too.

Yo, if you're having a road frame (not CX) built up for fat tyres . . . I really really really like that idea.

rugbysecondrow
07-23-2011, 03:24 PM
You'll be fine.

BUT, you'll be better with A23 or C2 rims. I think Velocity makes something even wider too.

Yo, if you're having a road frame (not CX) built up for fat tyres . . . I really really really like that idea.

I asked Ergott this question as I was going to have him build me a set of wheels using A23, I had Aeroheads and he said they would work just fine for wider tires...honesty that saved me a chunk of change.

That is what I use without any issue.

sg8357
07-23-2011, 05:09 PM
I use Gran Bois 32s on Open Sports and Synergy rims, the tires mount
a bit wider on the Synergy rims. I use tubes meant for 23mm tires,
works fine.

Back in the day, 32mm tires would fit pukka race bikes.
I have a Crescent, sort of Swedish PX-10, that easily takes 32mm cross
tires.

Ken Robb
07-23-2011, 06:53 PM
I think you will have to run slightly higher pressure on skinny rims than you could run on fat rims to keep the tire from squirming but I have run700x35 on Open Pros at 70psi.

Rueda Tropical
07-23-2011, 08:21 PM
The A23 and C2 mentioned are racing rims and wide enough to be ideal for 28-32c tires. No reason to go with a skinnier rim if you are using wider tires.

rice rocket
07-23-2011, 08:33 PM
Scroll down to Width:

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width

sjbraun
07-23-2011, 08:43 PM
I use 33.33 Jack Browns on Open Pro rims with absolutely no problems.

markie
07-23-2011, 08:57 PM
I have been using 32mm panaracer paselas on salsa delgado and Mavic open pro rims. I have not had any problems and have enjoyed the cushy ride. They work pretty well for some single-track action.

FWIW the 28mm version of the same tire rolls much quicker on the road.

FWIW ptII I have run full on 29er MTB tyres on the same rims without any problem as well. I think big tires on skinny rims is fine, it might give you a smaller contact patch than a wider rim. Skinny tires on wide rims is going to be a problem.

kramnnim
07-23-2011, 09:04 PM
I ran 29x2.1 29er tires on Sun ME14a road rims without issue...

oldpotatoe
07-24-2011, 07:31 AM
I'm having the bike build for Canti brakes with 700x32 specified, so brake interference won't be a problem. I want to accumulate the parts beforehand though.

No, a normal road rim will work fine, like the 20mm DT 465 type. It's not necessary to have a wider rim but a Velocity A23 would suit this build well also.

LouDeeter
07-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Serotta Pete asked:

"- Why do you want a 32 over a 25? and except for cost, why put it on light weight rims.

- Lastly - - many front forks will not work with a 32, unless they were designed for heavy touring,

- What bike, frame, and specific rim - folks might have experience."

I'm having the frame built as a road frame, not a cross frame, although I'm sure it could be used for cross in a pinch, but not likely by me. I will ride it with 700x28 tires 90% of the time. But, there are times when I want a bike that I can ride on dirt roads, fire roads, or something like the C&O Canal path, where a 700x32 tire (knobby or not) offers an advantage over a smooth 700x28. I'll post pictures of it when done. Right now, I'm assessing the parts options.

Smiley
07-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Lou, Pete is NOT a FATTIE so let him get all the flats when he is in Vermont :)

false_Aest
07-24-2011, 01:32 PM
I'm having the frame built as a road frame, not a cross frame, although I'm sure it could be used for cross in a pinch.... .... there are times when I want a bike that I can ride on dirt roads, fire roads, or something like the C&O Canal path, where a 700x32 tire (knobby or not) offers an advantage over a smooth 700x28.

Like I said, its a good freakin idea.

This might be the closest thing to a "do everything" bike

Ken Robb
07-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Serotta Pete asked:

"- Why do you want a 32 over a 25? and except for cost, why put it on light weight rims.

- What bike, frame, and specific rim - folks might have experience."

I'm having the frame built as a road frame, not a cross frame, although I'm sure it could be used for cross in a pinch, but not likely by me. I will ride it with 700x28 tires 90% of the time. But, there are times when I want a bike that I can ride on dirt roads, fire roads, or something like the C&O Canal path, where a 700x32 tire (knobby or not) offers an advantage over a smooth 700x28. I'll post pictures of it when done. Right now, I'm assessing the parts options.

This kind of bike is a REALLY good idea hence my Strada Bianca, Rambouillet, and Riv Allrounder.

DogpawSlim
07-24-2011, 05:08 PM
I ride 44mm knobbies on open pros. You'll be fine.

fred2ride
01-21-2012, 02:26 AM
Yes, try 25 instead 32 ;)

mvrider
01-21-2012, 08:50 AM
32-mm or 35-mm cyclocross tires on Open Pro rims seems to be a common combination.

mistermo
01-21-2012, 09:00 AM

+1000 My favorite bike is my Steelman Eurocross which, despite it's name, is more like a canti-clad road bike that can be ridden in a variety of terrain. I have ridden Open Pros and Velocity Aeroheads exclusively with an assortment of 32c tires (Mich Jet/Sprint, Ritchey Speedmax, Vittoria XN, etc, etc). I'm intrigued by the "new" wider rims (A23s and C2s), but my experience with Aeroheads and OPs has been flawless.

Go for it.

mistermo
01-21-2012, 09:02 AM
Serotta Pete asked:

I'm having the frame built as a road frame, not a cross frame
By the way, who's building your frame?

palincss
01-21-2012, 09:13 AM
I'm planning to build a bike with 700x32 clincher tires. I'm wondering whether most road racing rims will accept a tire this size or do I need to find a set with extra wide rims?

In theory they may officially be too wide for rims the width of Open Pro's, but many people use them successfully on tires wider than 32 without issue, so I would expect they'd in practice almost always be OK. Are you contemplating a rim even narrower than that?

Kontact
01-21-2012, 09:14 AM
Trek used to roll their skinny Matrix Aero rims down to 26" for mountain bikes and mount 26x2.2 tires on them. Bontrager did the same thing with Mavic road rims for mountain: There is absolutely no issue putting a bigger tire on a narrow rim.

palincss
01-21-2012, 09:14 AM

- Why do you want a 32 over a 25? and except for cost, why put it on light weight rims.

There's a world of difference between 25mm and 32mm tires. Let me turn it around: if you had a choice, why would you even consider a 25 if you could use a 32?

ringcycles
01-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Rim width shouldn't be an issue. One thing to consider is that the tire quality of many 32mm clinchers is not that good. Make sure you look for high tpi casings and good tread. Vittoria used to make some good quality large volume clinchers. Not sure if they still do.

Kontact
01-23-2012, 10:10 AM
There's a world of difference between 25mm and 32mm tires. Let me turn it around: if you had a choice, why would you even consider a 25 if you could use a 32?
Rollling resistance?

palincss
01-23-2012, 10:26 AM
I think some 25mm tires have more rolling resistance than the 32mm tires I use.

rugbysecondrow
01-23-2012, 10:39 AM

I have used the Jack Browns, what 32 tire do you recommend? I also have used the Schwalbe marathon racers and the Schwalbe marathons. The Racers were pretty good, but I didn't care for the regular marathons. A more harsh ride.

What are your thoughts as I know you like the wider tires?

staggerwing
01-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Sounds like the perfect setup for some Velocity Dyad or A23 rims.

As other have noted, even a narrow rim like an Open Pro, will work fine with a fatter tire. However, a wider rim makes things easier. First, the tire profile is going to be less bulbous, and second, your brake pads are going to be set a little wider. Both will make it easier to place or pull wheels with inflated tires. Could be a non-issue with cantis.

There is are suggestions that the less bulbous profile makes for a more stable configuration under cornering, particularly with lower tire pressures. Seems like a reasonable supposition but I don't have any hard facts. Somehow doubt you will be testing that hypothesis on gravel.

shortribs
01-23-2012, 12:54 PM
I have used the Jack Browns, what 32 tire do you recommend? I also have used the Schwalbe marathon racers and the Schwalbe marathons. The Racers were pretty good, but I didn't care for the regular marathons. A more harsh ride.

What are your thoughts as I know you like the wider tires?

Jack Browns are nice, but if you've got clearance for those give the Grand Bois 700x30 'Cypress' a go. They measure closer to an actual 32mm and are a revelation compared to the Jack Browns.... I cannot attest to durability yet but have been so enamoured by their suppleness and feel that I've got them on my 700c frames, and switched over to 650B Grand Bois tires on others.

I realize that tan sidewalls are not for everyone, but they happen to be a plus for me!

palincss
01-23-2012, 01:02 PM
I have used the Jack Browns, what 32 tire do you recommend?

I like the Grand Bois Cypres 30mm, which actually measures 32. During the winter I switch to Pasela 32mm, which are around 1.5% smaller (based on the odometer error when I switch). The Grand Bois Cypres is a wonderful tire, very fast and very comfortable. And very good looking, too.

I realize that tan sidewalls are not for everyone, but they happen to be a plus for me

Me too! And these are some of the nicest looking around.

shortribs
01-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Me too! And these are some of the nicest looking around.

Agreed. Admittedly a bit pricey, but if they hold up reasonably well they're worth every penny...

fourflys
01-23-2012, 01:55 PM
I'm not a wheel pro at all, but here is my .02...

you can use a wider tire on a narrow rim, but you're really losing some advantages of the wider tire IMHO... a wider tire on a narrower rim makes the tire "balloon" out more than necessary and, I think, create a harsher ride than on a wider rim like the A23... the A23 will let the tire assume a more natural shape because the beads are farther apart...

at least that's my theory, I'm sure Ergott can enlighten us better...

Kontact
01-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Impressive! Most tests I have read show that the best 23c tires are still better than the best 25c tires.

I'm sure a good tire of any size will always best a cheap tire, though.

Germany_chris
01-24-2012, 12:28 AM
Impressive! Most tests I have read show that the best 23c tires are still better than the best 25c tires.

I'm sure a good tire of any size will always best a cheap tire, though.

I think the endless debate about this on this forum and various articles on the subject disagree with that assertion

fourflys
01-24-2012, 12:44 AM

depends on the surface they are being tested on... smooth velodrome or normal crappy streets... and that's all I'll say on that... ;)

oldpotatoe
01-24-2012, 08:02 AM
depends on the surface they are being tested on... smooth velodrome or normal crappy streets... and that's all I'll say on that... ;)

And the differences are small, wee, most lost in the noise of the rest of the bicycle, road surface, weather, time of day, what ya ate for breakfast.......etc.

charliedid
01-24-2012, 09:06 AM
You live in Raleigh.

I personally never needed a 32 or even a 28, THey have different reasons for using and also have different ride charateristics

fourflys
01-24-2012, 10:19 AM
And the differences are small, wee, most lost in the noise of the rest of the bicycle, road surface, weather, time of day, what ya ate for breakfast.......etc.

I guess it's subjective... and I was talking more about comfort, not speed... I know I went to 25's, lowered my pressures to around 100psi back, 95psi front and the comfort is way better... for me anyway...

on the rolling resistance/speed issue, I agree with you 100%...

Bob Loblaw
01-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Interesting article about tire width (http://bikeraceinfo.com/tech/tires.html) I ran across. Not sure I agree with everything he says here, but the contact patch bit is interesting.

<snip>

"Tire Width. There is a view that a 20 mm width tire is faster than a 23 by virtue of its smaller cross section and lighter weight. Interestingly enough, this is not true. The people making the Torelli tires had noticed that the pro teams that they sponsored asked for 23s because they felt they were faster. When they investigated and did the testing, they found that the riders were correct. Let me explain.

Let's assume a 200 pound rider and bike unit. Let's also assume that the weight is distributed half over each wheel. That means that each wheel is supporting 100 pounds. Now, with a pressure of 100 pounds per square inch, the contact patch is one square inch. This is true no matter how fat the tire.

What changes when the tire gets fatter is the shape of the contact patch. With a 20, the contact patch is a long oval. With the fatter tire, the contact patch gets shorter and wider.

When a rider is using a skinnier tire, the long contact patch means he is flexing a wider arc of the tire casing, flexing more of the tire, causing more wasted energy from the internal friction of the tire and tube. The rider with the fatter tire is flexing fewer cords at a time.

There is clearly an optimum size, and the fact that racing tubulars are around 22 should keep us from getting super wide tires looking for yet more speed. Other losses probably kick in as the tire gets still fatter. For me, the bike feels like it doesn't have any snap or jump when we stray from the optimum which I believe to be in that 22-23 mm range.

Some have suggested that the skinnier tires make up for their losses because of their lower aerodynamic drag. This could be true for the solo time-trialist, I'm not sure. For the pack rider, it clearly is not an important consideration.

I am grateful to the generous people listed below for the help I recieved in writing this essay:

Larry Theobald of CycleItalia Cycling Tours
The kind folks at http://www.tdu.com.au/
David Herlihy, author of Bicycle"
Sam Aichouba, formerly of Hutchinson Tires
Alex Brauns of Challenge Tires"

Kontact
01-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Given ideal construction, there has to be a break over point where making the tire larger starts increasing the rolling resistance, and below that the tire must be inflated too high and also have increased rolling resistance.

Bicycle Quarterly's test on the subject found a 23c tire to be the very best, followed by a 28c tire. That doesn't tell us much, except that a 23c tire is capable of very low rolling resistance, and that tire construction is the biggest deal. But making a tire fatter doesn't automatically lower rolling resistance.

sg8357
01-24-2012, 01:32 PM

If you ignore wee diffs, 86.7% of forum traffic would vanish.

off to mount some new FMBs on the DL-1.

rice rocket
01-24-2012, 01:56 PM
If you ignore wee diffs, 86.7% of forum traffic would vanish.
And so would bike sales.

LouDeeter
01-24-2012, 03:00 PM
I think the major point for this data is that for a given size, the tire patch area of contact remains the same, regardless of air pressure, but the shape changes. I don't think this is true when the tire is completely flat, but I understand the concept. But, a larger size tire will have more contact area than a smaller size tire. A tire should also maintain contact better with the road with lower pressure than high pressure on rough roads because when you bounce on rough roads, the tire loses contact and therefore, you scrub off speed. (This is also the concept for why the DKS Hors Categorie bike works). On a super smooth surface, like a track, that isn't true and higher tire pressures do offer faster rides up to a point. The higher the speed, the higher the wind resistance will add drag for larger tires, so a thinner tire has the advantage at high speeds. I'm not sure at what speed the general rolling resistance from road contact creates detrimental speed effects.

Dekonick
01-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Like I said, its a good freakin idea.

This might be the closest thing to a "do everything" bike

This sounds like the Bedford Tourer I had built. You can do just about anything with it, but I find it is best for just riding ;)

:beer:

palincss
01-24-2012, 03:26 PM

True for cases where there are only wee small differences; but the difference in rolling resistance between the fastest and the slowest tires can be quite considerable.

oldpotatoe
01-24-2012, 04:17 PM
True for cases where there are only wee small differences; but the difference in rolling resistance between the fastest and the slowest tires can be quite considerable.

Kinda like a chart that shows changes and because of scale, the differences look HUGE.

Blind test, all else being equal, lowest to highest RR number and I doubt 10 people would have the same 'opinion' of each tire.

In the lighter/stiffer realm of bike stuff comparisons...'200 grams!!'...6 0unces on a 3000 ounce bike and rider package, type thing, IMHO.

Durability is far more important than RR to me...similar 25c, foldable tires.

akelman
01-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Slightly off topic (but related!): I would like a 34 or 35 mm tire that has very little tread, something that can be ridden on fire roads or paved roads but almost certainly will never see mud. Said tire must be black and have black sidewalls. Because that's how I roll, that's why. Any suggestions?

LouDeeter
01-24-2012, 05:38 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Resist-Nomad-Tire-Black-700x35c-Black-Sidewall-/250972598200?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a6f21efb8#ht_2629wt_1135

I've never tried these tires, but they seem to meet your criteria.

fiamme red
01-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Slightly off topic (but related!): I would like a 34 or 35 mm tire that has very little tread, something that can be ridden on fire roads or paved roads but almost certainly will never see mud. Said tire must be black and have black sidewalls. Because that's how I roll, that's why. Any suggestions?Panaracer T-serv.

Sandy
04-19-2012, 01:50 PM

I am purchasing a new bike with larger trail- 6.1- 6.2 (for more stability at speed/very poor bike handler), with a sloped top tube (easier for old inflexible me to mount the bike), and with the ability to accommodate larger tires--700x32 up to at least 700x37, for harsher roads/greater compliance/more confident handling. I will use 700x25 tires on wheels I have and probably purchase wider rims and 700x32 tires to use. Hence a better handling bike for me with more applications for varying road surfaces.

Sandy

rccardr
04-19-2012, 07:46 PM
I'm in the same place as you, Lou. Recently built up a Cannondale ST for a customer and he wanted 32's. Didn't think they would fit so tried 28's first and there was still plenty of room so went up to 32's. End result (on Open Pro's) was so sweet I decided to do the same thing for my personal ST build coming up in a few weeks.

Gonna hang on to the 28's for pure bumpy street riding but will slide on the 32's for those C&O moments. This isn't supposed to be a fast bike, but a nice comfy one I could ride across the MD panhandle on mixed surfaces.

rugbysecondrow
04-20-2012, 07:32 AM
A spin on this question...will 27 sized tires fit on 700 rims? Some of the larger width tires seem to come in 27.

Thanks

Paul

Vinci
04-20-2012, 08:09 AM
I commute with 35mm tires on a Shimano R500 rim (19mm?) without a bit of trouble.

A spin on this question...will 27 sized tires fit on 700 rims? Some of the larger width tires seem to come in 27.

Thanks

Paul
No, you cannot use a 27" tire on a 700c rim. You can use the same tubes with either tire size (assuming the same width), though.

fourflys
04-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Slightly off topic (but related!): I would like a 34 or 35 mm tire that has very little tread, something that can be ridden on fire roads or paved roads but almost certainly will never see mud. Said tire must be black and have black sidewalls. Because that's how I roll, that's why. Any suggestions?

did you know the Gatorskin comes in a 32mm? I saw one at REI the other day... it's a wirebead and looks FAT! the only other one I can think of would be something like a Schwalbe Marathon Supreme...

palincss
04-20-2012, 10:47 AM

No. 27 x 1 1/4 is ISO 630 (which is the bead seat diameter in mm). 700C is ISO 622.

GRAVELBIKE
04-20-2012, 11:04 AM
I routinely run 38mm, 42mm, and 52mm tires on 23mm rims. No problems.

retrogrouchy
04-20-2012, 08:32 PM
I routinely run 38mm, 42mm, and 52mm tires on 23mm rims. No problems.

Well yeah, a 23 mm rim is pretty wide. Many are more like 19-20 mm wide. A 23 mm rim is optimized for tires of about 25 - 35 mm, but as you indicate, can be used for even wider ones....

Y'all need to keep in mind that tires are often significantly different in actual width than their markings indicate. I just set up some 700 x 35 Paselas yesterday, on some old 23 mm rims, and those measure an actual 31 mm wide, even on the wide rims.

mistermo
04-21-2012, 12:04 AM
deleted

toosahn
04-21-2012, 02:26 PM
For large 28c tires that measures true to 28mm, check out the Ultremo ZX. I'm getting a pair soon to run on a A23 build and they actually measure around 30mm on A23s

RFC
04-21-2012, 02:54 PM
Here is my allarounder/gravel grinder with 37 Panaracer Paselas.

I find that 28mm Paselas and Gators to be a real sweet spot for sport tourers with no measurable loss of speed over 23's.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/RCopple/IMG_0105r.jpg

LouDeeter
06-21-2015, 05:37 AM
This is an old thread, but I realized after reviewing it that I didn't post a picture of the actual bike I had built. I've now had it a couple of years. It is shown here with 700x28 Continental tires on normal width road rims. Today, it has HED Belgium C2 wheels with 700x25 tires that measure out at 27. I ride it more than any of my other bikes. The cantilever brakes were specified for the wider tires I expected to ride, but other than one ride, I haven't gone above 28. The uber oversized tubes, lugs and fork have proven to be a good combination for comfort as well as stiffness. It is a very nice ride, one of the best I've ever had.

Ken Robb
06-21-2015, 10:26 AM
Gee Lou, that is a good-looking bike!

8aaron8
06-21-2015, 10:32 AM
Glad you revived the thread, I just read through it for the first time. The build looks spectacular, love the color scheme, nicely done.

brockd15
06-21-2015, 11:07 AM
Jonathan Greene is a new one for me.
And it's a pretty good first impression.

Veloo
06-21-2015, 12:09 PM
I have Schwalbe Marathon 32's on Mavic Speed City wheels which are 18mm wide and no problems. They were fine getting on and off too.