PDA

View Full Version : if there was a 10 second gap after the TT..

bicycletricycle
07-22-2011, 08:52 PM
if there was a 10 second gap after the TT would someone try something on the run in to Paris? I always thought it would be cool if there was a battle for the yellow right to the last. Attack in the flats on the way in? Maybe try to get some time on the Champs-Élysées laps. The false flat in one direction is a real bear, I wonder what would happen if a GC contender opened up a gap there...

Has this ever happen? In all the years I have watched it just seems like the last day is a formality and then the sprinters go for it at the end.

Ray
07-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Its debated periodically here. If someone thought they'd actually have a chance, they'd probably try it. But they wouldn't get anywhere. I recall Vino moving past Levi to get into the top five but he did it based on sprint time bonuses and there was some confusion about whether there were even going to be bonuses given for the sprints that day because of weather or something. Even that was highly unlikely and if it was for the yellow jersey, no leader's team would let it happen. There's just no way one guy stays away from a chasing team on a flat stage unless they're inclined to let it happen. Which, in this case, they obviously wouldn't be...

-Ray

thegunner
07-22-2011, 10:20 PM
^^yep, garmin-cervelo, HTC, and lampre (+all the other non-GC sprinter teams) would never let it happen. not even someone with the TT'ing ability of FC would think of doing it/making it stick.

Louis
07-22-2011, 10:32 PM
Another interesting case is when there are time bonuses for intermediate sprints. If the GC gap were less than the time bonus the sprints would be even crazier than usual.

merckx
07-22-2011, 10:42 PM
The Tour podium will be determined tomorrow with the exception of the green jersey. That one will be won in Paris.

thinpin
07-22-2011, 10:49 PM
'79 - Zoots vs Hinault

This year if there was a 10s gap no one would be relaxed going into Paris.