PDA

View Full Version : Sun Screen and Sweating

Jim Braley
07-22-2011, 04:35 PM
I religously coat my face, neck, arms and legs with sport sunscreen containing zinc oxide prior to startingmy ride Most professionals I have talked with say you should then re-apply every 2-3 hours. During these very hot summers after 2-3 hours I am sweating heavily and can't really wipe off all the original sunscreen and then re-apply--when i do that I end up with a white globby mess that just seems to stay on the top of my skin with very little if any absorption. Other than totally drying off or showering (which is impossible while out riding) any suggestions on what works in terms of re-applying. when you are out in the sun riding for 4-6 hours. I am wondering if it might not be best to just apply once before riding and hope for the best or is it better to re-apply even though the skin is wet or moist? I have read previous posts on this subject and find nothing that really addresses the best way to re-apply. I am also considering arm coolers which will take care of the arms but staill have the face and legs to address

rnhood
07-22-2011, 04:50 PM
I have the Capo and Desoto arm coolers and neither is perfect. In the blistering hot sun, its probably better to have them on than off since they do provide protection which is important. But don't go thinking your arms will be cooler because they will not be the case.

Some sun tan lotions out there can stay on even during profuse perspiration. Some is lost of course but, some remains on. I forget the brand that I have but at the end of a long hot ride when I towel myself off, I do get some signs of light brown residue on the towel - which is the color of the lotion. So some of it must be staying on.

Having said that, I don't get residue off my face and nose. I guess this gets lost in the heat of battle as I occasionally wipe my face and eyes.

Louis
07-22-2011, 05:08 PM
IMO the only real solution is to avoid times of super-high UV (say, mid AM to 5 PM)

If you're committed to doing 5 hr + rides in blast-furnace summer weather, then there will be no perfect solution.

Hank Scorpio
07-22-2011, 07:18 PM
The most tenacious sunblock I have found is California baby. Only available direct or sometimes at whole foods if you are lucky. They have unscented and citronella which you will get stuck with like me if you aren't there when the open the shipment. Holds strong through multi hour surf sessions. You will look like a ghost this stuff is thick and fairly pricey at about 22 bucks for 2.9 oz tube. Also the ingredients are skin friendly according to the cosmetics database website.

cat6
07-22-2011, 09:37 PM
I'd just reapply as needed, I'm sure that blobby white mess you speak of is doing something. I know some people with very fair skin take sun protection very seriously and those should probably avoid peak UV times as mentioned earlier. For the rest, apply sunblock(or don't)and hit the road. There's only so much you can do!

Willy
07-23-2011, 12:02 AM
I use "Kinesys" alcohol and fragrance-free sunscreen. It's a clear spray - works great and it's not messy.

CunegoFan
07-23-2011, 12:17 AM
Bullfrog Superblock.

Pyramor
07-23-2011, 06:13 AM
Consumer Reports just listed their analysis of a number of sunscreens. They recommend the NO-AD brand. I had never heard of it before reading the report, but I have never gone wrong by following their advice. I got a bottle at Walmart, about $7.50 for 16 ounces, but haven't tried it yet.

CunegoFan
07-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Consumer Reports just listed their analysis of a number of sunscreens. They recommend the NO-AD brand. I had never heard of it before reading the report, but I have never gone wrong by following their advice. I got a bottle at Walmart, about $7.50 for 16 ounces, but haven't tried it yet.

I often use No Ad for my legs because it is dirt cheap. I have had mixed luck with it. It disolved the decals on my ti frame where I rested my leg against the top tube at intersections. That took me a while to figure out what was going on. I have my doubts about how long it lasts. One bottle of it I used a few years ago seemed to melt on my leg in moderate heat. A half an hour into a ride my legs would be sopping wet. I am not sure whether the sunblock turned to liquid or whether it trapped sweat under the block. The last few bottles have not done that.

thwart
07-23-2011, 02:34 PM
I've had a couple of brushes with sun-related skin cancer...

Nothing makes you bulletproof in mid-day sun (10 AM to 3 PM), so very few all-day rides for me. Sun damage can occur even if you don't get red or pink. Ambient temp has nothing to do with the potential for sun damage, so cool days in May can burn you just as well as a 90 degree day in August. I use the spray-on sports sunscreens and something with zinc or titanium oxide on my face (yeah, it can make you look a little pale/blotchy, but it's good stuff). I reapply if I've been sweating heavily for a couple of hours, especially on my face. You can easily find small tubes to carry in a pocket, and better to apply to wet skin than to do nothing at all.

Sunburns in childhood are actually the most harmful, so take care with your kids!

farmallguy
07-23-2011, 03:56 PM
I have used the No-Ad with good success in Ohio on long,century, rides. It says it is sweatproof and I believe it. Some people think I don't get enough sun but I prefer no more skin cancer in our family. It is worth a try, not very expensive.

Jack

Louis
07-23-2011, 04:04 PM
After a fair amount of online research I settled on Vanicream Sport (spf 35) for my face (really only my nose) and PreSun Ultra Gel (spf 30, I wish it were higher) for my arms.

If I'm riding after 5 PM I only do my face.

The tough part for me was finding products that have good UVA and UVB balance. I believe the new FDA guidelines are going to address this and should make it easier in the future.

thwart
07-23-2011, 05:05 PM
After a fair amount of online research I settled on Vanicream Sport (spf 35) for my face Has been recommended by my dermatologist.

Alan
07-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Ck out ratings here from Environmental Working Group

http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2011sunscreen/

I use Mission sunblock that you can buy at Dicks which is designed for sports. It doesn't feel like plastic wrap on your skin. Rode today for 5 hours and it worked fairly well.

Alan