PDA

View Full Version : The *REAL* TdF suspense!

Karin Kirk
07-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Will anyone agree to go on a ride with Bob Roll?

soulspinner
07-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Hey wheres the spoiler alert! :p

mgd
07-22-2011, 12:58 PM
ride buddy for bobke on the last day?

or will they all just give in and go?

cloudguy
07-22-2011, 01:15 PM
I wish the camera would just pan a little lower when Levi is coming out of the shower. Just kidding. What's Bob doing in Levi's shower anyway? Also, why would anyone want to see Levi's scrawny pro-biker chest?

jvp
07-22-2011, 01:22 PM
yea, how about a
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/--JkMnhrxuug/TihOCx3mhPI/AAAAAAAAVWM/NHkpiM0-YZc/s1600/spoiler%2Balert.jpg
next time? :)

rwsaunders
07-22-2011, 01:34 PM
I'd ride with anyone that has ridden in the ditches of PR...

Bud_E
07-22-2011, 01:36 PM
I loved the promos he did several years ago enacting the race with the little toy cyclists. ( Venga! Venga! Venga! ).

FlashUNC
07-22-2011, 02:07 PM
After having to sit through the commercials for a month, here's what I've learned:

1) No one wants to ride with Bob Roll, ever.

2) I CHOOSE SRAM!

3) Will Power is unhappy Dario Franchitti races dirty, and Will Power's going to be a-coming at the Edmonton Indy race.

4) NISSAN LEAF!

5) Please go to MapMyRide and send Levi some messages while he's training. He gets lonely.

6) Apparently fat guys ride road bikes with awful computers, and skinny guys ride hybrids with the iBike app on their iPhone.

learlove
07-22-2011, 02:19 PM
....and apparently you should go surfing in your IZOD shirt. Then dance with some girl on the bow of your sailboat.

FlashUNC
07-22-2011, 02:26 PM
....and apparently you should go surfing in your IZOD shirt. Then dance with some girl on the bow of your sailboat.

Then drive your IndyCar through the desert.

IT IS THE DAWNING OF OUR BRAVE NEW WORLD....

Seriously, that commercial alone may have unmade me as a Weezer fan.

InspectorGadget
07-22-2011, 02:26 PM
After having to sit through the commercials for a month, here's what I've learned:

2) I CHOOSE SRAM!

3) Will Power is unhappy Dario Franchitti races dirty, and Will Power's going to be a-coming at the Edmonton Indy race.

4) NISSAN LEAF!

5) Please go to MapMyRide and send Levi some messages while he's training. He gets lonely.

6) Apparently fat guys ride road bikes with awful computers, and skinny guys ride hybrids with the iBike app on their iPhone.

7) Don't you want a little red umbrella so you can be OK?

http://youtu.be/Siz4Q-valXk

(Why doesn't the YouTube thread embed?)

cloudguy
07-22-2011, 02:34 PM
Then drive your IndyCar through the desert.

IT IS THE DAWNING OF OUR BRAVE NEW WORLD....

Seriously, that commercial alone may have unmade me as a Weezer fan.

Yeah, me too. I thought maybe Weezer was doing it as some kind of joke on corporate sell-outs. Geesh, that song is horrible.

firerescuefin
07-22-2011, 02:36 PM
I had to laugh ....Will Power is oftly Schleckish in his comments....and each of those below are burned in my memory despite the best efforts of my dvr.

2) I CHOOSE SRAM!

4) NISSAN LEAF!

Scott Shire
07-22-2011, 03:49 PM

Tremendous. Both my gf (who has now "enjoyed" 3 TdF's at my side) and I got a good laugh.

It should also be noted that downhill skateboarding has clearly eclipsed street luge.

FlashUNC
07-22-2011, 03:51 PM
All the Road ID commercials have convinced me Bobke is some kind of deranged stalker. He's another few commercials away from sitting in your bushes with a knife and some Green Grease, muttering about you not going for a ride with him.

ITS A BIKE RIDE, NOT A DATE CREEPO.

And Phil Liggett might be the worst actor ever.

learningtoride
07-22-2011, 04:24 PM

2) I CHOOSE SRAM!

4) NISSAN LEAF!

LOL about the NISSAN LEAF! All I kept thinking is the more they make me look at this blue car the less I like it and Im sooo glad to see someone else feeling the TdF has taught them the same things its taught me this year! lol :beer:

ultraman6970
07-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Yes but these commercials at least are better than the ones from last year where u had levi talking who knows with who in a living room about a nasti accident and that road ID saved the guy's life... that was awefully bad acting, like 7 more characters that did not say anything but move their heads, boring as hell.

The new ones are funny to watch eventho there is bad acting involved. Finally they figure it out right, is funny to watch.

All the Road ID commercials have convinced me Bobke is some kind of deranged stalker. He's another few commercials away from sitting in your bushes with a knife and some Green Grease, muttering about you not going for a ride with him.

ITS A BIKE RIDE, NOT A DATE CREEPO.

And Phil Liggett might be the worst actor ever.

ultraman6970
07-22-2011, 05:10 PM
FlashUNC forgot to mention the local comercials, over here I learn that Conte's changed the name of the store to something else, since i never been in conte's I really dont care anyways. :P

chuckroast
07-22-2011, 07:51 PM
Two and half weeks later, every time he goes "awwwwwwww" , I still giggle out loud.

But man, that Michelob Ultra commercial where they swipe stuff is wearing me out.

MattTuck
07-22-2011, 08:13 PM
Two and half weeks later, every time he goes "awwwwwwww" , I still giggle out loud.

But man, that Michelob Ultra commercial where they swipe stuff is wearing me out.

That's the future man! We're gonna be swiping ourselves into sweet jobs, sweet rides and sweet girls.

Get on board or get out of the way for the rest of us.

:beer: :beer:

ericspin
07-22-2011, 08:24 PM
So.....back to Karin's original topic. I am betting Lance will be at the end of the ride invitation line. ANNNNNND I think he'll go ride with Bob. Whaddaya think?

xjoex
07-22-2011, 08:43 PM
I don't know what the finale to the bobke commercial will be, but man it is the best add of the whole tour. I am am Bob Roll fan now!

-Joe

Karin Kirk
07-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Agreed, these have been fun to watch while the others get less and less tolerable as the tour goes on. Most companies have not figured out that bathing you in the same cheesy song 50x per day is not going to turn you into a fan. (OK, except that cute little dog, I really do like that one.)

The Bobke ads have a bit of plot to them which keeps it from getting ridiculously monotonous. Plus Bob is so likable. I for one will make a bold prediction that he WILL get to go for a ride with someone. Perhaps someone extra special. Lance? Maybe not, but hopefully someone cool. Maybe I'll fast forward through the race to get to the ads. :o

Marcusaurelius
07-22-2011, 09:14 PM
He could go for a ride the Robin. He's sort of cool.

54ny77
07-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Agreed, best Bob Roll commercial ever! :beer:

Fixed
07-24-2011, 11:34 AM
in the old days of t.v. the host did commercials ..much better than a canned commercial played over and over again with a crappy song played till you hate it
cheers imho

steampunk
07-24-2011, 11:42 AM
7) Don't you want a little red umbrella so you can be OK?

8) Two new Michelin tires on one side of your car will prevent you from slipping and sliding in the rain.

Hawker
07-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Agreed, these have been fun to watch while the others get less and less tolerable as the tour goes on. Most companies have not figured out that bathing you in the same cheesy song 50x per day is not going to turn you into a fan. (OK, except that cute little dog, I really do like that one.)

The Bobke ads have a bit of plot to them which keeps it from getting ridiculously monotonous. Plus Bob is so likable. I for one will make a bold prediction that he WILL get to go for a ride with someone. Perhaps someone extra special. Lance? Maybe not, but hopefully someone cool. Maybe I'll fast forward through the race to get to the ads. :o

That would be fun but I doubt it will happen. Commercials are so expensive to shoot and produce that I don't think they would make one that wasn't able to get multiple airings. If I were Bob I'd definitely ask Ally one more time. However, he is married and so is she. :)

dekindy
07-24-2011, 01:04 PM
So did Bobke ever find a riding companion? I figured that they would all show up for a ride.

BumbleBeeDave
07-24-2011, 01:47 PM
. . . with Bobke sitting all alone with his bike, dejected. Then Liz Hatch comes riding up, fawns all over him for being "THE" Bob Roll, and they cycle off into the sunset together.

Also hilarious would be Lance swiping to new vistas to ride, or new golf holes to play, and every scene he swipes to, Jeff Novitzky is standing there smiling at him holding a pair of handcuffs.

:D

BBD

witcombusa
07-24-2011, 02:52 PM
So.....back to Karin's original topic. I am betting Lance will be at the end of the ride invitation line. ANNNNNND I think he'll go ride with Bob. Whaddaya think?

Not LA...but a far better choice from Austin....

Hawker
07-24-2011, 02:59 PM
How about one where Bob has to use his Road ID to "prove" he is the real Bob Roll to Liz Hatch or a podium girl? Crap...I think I like it. :)

ericspin
07-24-2011, 06:22 PM
So, was there a finale and I missed it? Surely Road ID didn't pass up this opportunity.

Karin Kirk
07-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Nope, no finale. Sigh.
Maybe next year someone will ride with Bob.

JBone
07-25-2011, 01:13 AM
"I always race him clean, and he always races me dirty" :banana:

victoryfactory
07-25-2011, 06:35 AM
"my work is done here"

- The road ID Ad man

witcombusa
07-25-2011, 11:20 AM
"my work is done here"

- The road ID Ad man

Just because folks enjoyed the ads doesn't mean they are ordering up thier own road ID's......

So is it a buzz if sales don't change???

Hawker
07-25-2011, 11:27 AM
Based on the cost of these ads you have to belive they are selling a ton of these things. Or they have another income stream somewhere?

After vacillating for a couple of years, I've decided to buy one. Primarily because I do almost all of my riding alone.

victoryfactory
07-25-2011, 11:32 AM
For you cheepskates:

Go to any big pet store (chain)
They have do it yourself stamping machines that make 'em
You can't put too much info on them though
Hang it around your neck.

VF

Hawker
07-25-2011, 11:38 AM
For you cheepskates:

Go to any big pet store (chain)
They have do it yourself stamping machines that make 'em
You can't put too much info on them though
Hang it around your neck.

VF

Yea but I want the EMTs to take me to the hospital...not the pound.

fourflys
07-25-2011, 02:01 PM
I bought my RoadID wristband last year... I figure $30 is pretty cheap insurance for EMS to immediately know my name, blood type, allergies and emergency contacts... I say this having been an EMT since '97... plus I dig the desgign of them and I like orange (the color of my band)...

pmac
07-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Yea but I want the EMTs to take me to the hospital...not the pound.

Funniest thing I've read here in a long, long time.

Bob Ross
07-25-2011, 02:26 PM
that Michelob Ultra commercial where they swipe stuff is wearing me out.

Almost worth it for the expressions on the faces of Armstrong's three riding partners when he swipes the flat trail ahead & changes it to an 8% grade: In about a nanosecond they all go from abject Fear Of Climbing to "ho-hum, just another miracle of the iPad generation."

But yeah, the Bob Roll commercials were the only ones that didn't drive me screaming from the room.

pdmtong
07-25-2011, 02:50 PM
. . . with Bobke sitting all alone with his bike, dejected. Then Liz Hatch comes riding up, fawns all over him for being "THE" Bob Roll, and they cycle off into the sunset together.

for the record, yes liz is smoking hot, but afte meeting her a few times, alone and with her VDK teamates, I have to say she is really cool. she defintely took time out to talk to my then 9yo daughter, take pix together and encourage hmadz to get out and ride.

firerescuefin
07-25-2011, 03:00 PM
I bought my RoadID wristband last year... I figure $30 is pretty cheap insurance for EMS to immediately know my name, blood type, allergies and emergency contacts... I say this having been an EMT since '97... plus I dig the desgign of them and I like orange (the color of my band)...

I am not going to say they are as important as your helmet, but my father in law is an avid runner, fell out during a road race. I had purchased a road id for him 3 years ago. My mother in law was contacted immediately, they new his blood type, allergies, and one item that was a major prior medical condition. He had a Quad CAB 12 hours later. He wasn't super excited when I gave it to him (especially the part with major med history on it). We got him a new one. He wears it.

Would recommend items to include if you get one

2 contacts

Allergies/Blood Type/Any major relevant prior medical conditions (like a bypass, blood pressure/seizure disorders). This can be more difficult/impossible if you have quite a few. If you have any questions ask your FP.

and I put organ donor on mine as well. If you are, it's good to know early.

I just ordered a new rubber one...My other has just too much funk soaked in. :eek:

gasman
07-25-2011, 04:03 PM
I am not going to say they are as important as your helmet, but my father in law is an avid runner, fell out during a road race. I had purchased a road id for him 3 years ago. My mother in law was contacted immediately, they new his blood type, allergies, and one item that was a major prior medical condition. He had a Quad CAB 12 hours later. He wasn't super excited when I gave it to him (especially the part with major med history on it). We got him a new one. He wears it.

Would recommend items to include if you get one

2 contacts

Allergies/Blood Type/Any major relevant prior medical conditions (like a bypass, blood pressure/seizure disorders). This can be more difficult/impossible if you have quite a few. If you have any questions ask your FP.

I just ordered a new rubber one...My other has just too much funk soaked in. :eek:

Just FYI-There is no need to put your blood type on the Road ID. It will be ignored by the Blood bank at the hospital- You will either get O negative blood in a true emergency, type specific blood when there isn't time for a crossmatch , and no the blood bank won't believe what your wrist band says. Finally you will type-specific cross-matched blood if there is 45min to and hour before you need the blood. So no need to use up space.

I have a road ID dog-tag and don't have my blood type on it.

fourflys
07-25-2011, 05:57 PM
2 contacts

pretty much what I have on mine, except I forgot about the organ donor part (I am one)... the rubber is great as I just rinse/wipe mine off after a ride and all is good...