PDA

View Full Version : NYT reporter riding cross country at 57 yrs old

veloduffer
07-22-2011, 09:55 AM
I always enjoy these travelogues and thought some of you might be interested:

The writer, a NY Times reporter, is currently on the road traveling by bike across the country at 57 yrs old. He did this once before in 1993 at age 39.
It should make interesting reading. The first link is the background and the second link is updates from the trip. He’s just starting out.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/07/10/travel/reporter-to-cross-the-nation-on-2-wheels-again.html
http://intransit.blogs.nytimes.com/author/bruce-weber/

and the article on his 1993 trip: http://www.nytimes.com/1993/06/04/arts/finding-the-rhythm-of-the-road-at-10-miles-an-hour.html?scp=2&sq=bruce%20weber%20biking%201993&st=cse

fiamme red
07-22-2011, 10:10 AM
His bike cost $8,000: "Finally, several readers asked about the cost of my bicycle. O.K., O.K. — about $8,000. A lot, I know."

What a strange set-up for such an expensive bike.

http://intransit.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/14/life-is-a-wheel-the-story-of-the-bike/

The crucial info: I wanted straight-across handlebars – well, didn’t want them, exactly, but promised my physiatrist I’d get them. He was worried about a pinched nerve in my neck and didn’t want me spending weeks with my head tilted back and my neck contracted. Andrew also recognized that this would be, very likely, the last bike I ever bought, and that when this trip was over, I wouldn’t want to be riding one that was built only for long-distance touring and carrying extra weight and that couldn’t be frisky on a casual ride.

NYC Velo worked with a frame builder, Independent Fabrication (the company just moved from Somerville, Mass., to Newmarket, N.H.), and created a titanium frame (lightweight and durable); the straight-across handlebars, highly unusual for a touring bicycle, mean that the top tube (the frame’s horizontal beam) has to be slightly shorter than normal; and to keep me sitting at least semi-upright, the head tube (the vertical tube that the front fork passes through) is slightly longer.

Once I tried the bike, some adjustments needed to be made. The handlebars were so wide and keeping me so upright that on my first couple of trial rides, I felt like a sailboat sail, my body’s breadth working against me. So Andrew lowered the bars slightly and cut an inch off each end. I also had him add bar ends to give me alternative hand positions.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/07/15/travel/14weber-bile/14weber-bile-blog480.jpg

merlinmurph
07-22-2011, 11:38 AM
The writer, a NY Times reporter, is currently on the road traveling by bike across the country at 57 yrs old.

Are you <ahem> implying that 57 is old?? :eek:

I had to ask, no malice intended at all.
Good luck to him on his ride.

Murph (who happens to be 57)

ultraman6970
07-22-2011, 11:44 AM
If he thinks he can ride more than 2 hours in that position he will find really quickly that will be a problem. Well... good luck with your new bike :P

palincss
07-22-2011, 11:45 AM
And what, I ask, do physiatrists know about bike fitting?

The crucial info: I wanted straight-across handlebars – well, didn’t want them, exactly, but promised my physiatrist I’d get them. He was worried about a pinched nerve in my neck and didn’t want me spending weeks with my head tilted back and my neck contracted.

johnnymossville
07-22-2011, 11:56 AM
My Dad did the same at that age, and threw in a couple hilly 200+ mile days in for good measure.

Still,.... I love reading this stuff, thanks!

Louis
07-22-2011, 11:58 AM
And what, I ask, do physiatrists know about bike fitting?

Furthermore, what the heck is a "physiatrist?"

johnnymossville
07-22-2011, 12:00 PM

from physia (Physical) and Trist (A secret meeting, between lovers mostly)

LOL

charliedid
07-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Yes

I met a handful of couples in their 70's riding through Alaska ......totally self contained. No cell phones, GPS or computers. Free and easy!

Life is good.

charliedid
07-22-2011, 12:06 PM
It's not really about the bike...

fiamme red
07-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Interesting that in his listing of the bike's components, he doesn't mention what rack (or trailer) he's using.

pavel
07-22-2011, 12:30 PM
i already like this guy a lot more than most of the mainstream media freds we've seen recently (read, larry olmstead.)

veloduffer
07-22-2011, 02:06 PM
His bike cost $8,000: "Finally, several readers asked about the cost of my bicycle. O.K., O.K. — about $8,000. A lot, I know."

What a strange set-up for such an expensive bike.

I know but when you're dealing with physical issues, it's whatever works best (at least initially).

veloduffer
07-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Are you <ahem> implying that 57 is old?? :eek:

I had to ask, no malice intended at all.
Good luck to him on his ride.

Murph (who happens to be 57)

No, since I just turned 50 and am pondering whether to join the AARP (at least for the discounts!). It's something that I've wanted to try myself.

I had a member from my former bike club ride across country full loaded (propane, stove, etc) at 67. He said the hardest part of the trip was the headwinds trying to get across the Dakotas (not sure north or south).

fmbp
07-22-2011, 03:03 PM

a physiatrist is a physical medicine and rehabilitation (PM&R) doc

Louis
07-22-2011, 03:16 PM
a physiatrist is a physical medicine and rehabilitation (PM&R) doc

Thanks. I figured it was something like that, but because I had never heard of the term also considered the possibility that it was a typo.

1happygirl
07-22-2011, 05:31 PM
I find these so called blogs about "trying to find myself" etc and this guy less pleasurable than some of the retired peeps on the crazy guy on a bike blog.

Maybe it's too hot out, but the 'more mature' peeps (with associated pictures) that are retired with their spouses going too are more pleasurable and fun reading to me.

Also the fact that the retired folks just set off, and not on $8,000 bikes (not that I'm against it those) have a different 'read'. They don't have a trainer either.

The others (the ones on crazy guy) seem less self involved and 'real'. Also the fact that he's already been and with the country the way it is now, He can take off 3 mos--AGAIN?!!! Maybe just me.
And maybe I was just outside too long just now.
As an aside, how is he paying this out?

palincss
07-22-2011, 05:49 PM
from physia (Physical) and Trist (A secret meeting, between lovers mostly)

LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Us0zopFrnc