PDA

View Full Version : If one stage can change my opinion that much...

bicycletricycle
07-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Maybe I should just relax and watch and not be too opinionated about particular riders. Today's stage was great. I found myself rooting for both Contidor and Andy and I normally dont.

false_Aest
07-21-2011, 07:07 PM
but what about Cadel?

oldman
07-21-2011, 07:18 PM
but what about Cadel?

He doesn't have the fire in his belly.

firerescuefin
07-21-2011, 07:22 PM

Care to explain a little more...Cadel's ridden a great tour and attacked when he could. I would say just the opposite, although he may have earned that remark in the past...marking attacks that far out (AS Today) would have seemed foolish to me. Now it's pretty easy to armchair qb the stage.

akelman
07-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Care to explain a little more...Cadel's ridden a great tour and attacked when he could. I would say just the opposite, although he may have earned that remark in the past...marking attacks that far out (AS Today) would have seemed foolish to me. Now it's pretty easy to armchair qb the stage.

Absolutey right. Evans was very likely just as surprised as the rest of us that AS had that kind of ride in him.

Bud_E
07-21-2011, 07:33 PM

Tough crowd.

thinpin
07-21-2011, 07:40 PM
Where does a tug boat keep its fire?
The man rode that last climb like he was posessed. So he left it too late but I saw fire there.

biker72
07-21-2011, 08:10 PM
I've become a Cadel Evans fan. He's got a very good chance to win the TDF. I've never seen him ride like this.

oldguy00
07-21-2011, 08:16 PM
I found it odd how Voeckler, his teammate, and Cunego, were able to hang no problem with the worlds best climbers. They must be eating their wheaties!

gasman
07-21-2011, 08:20 PM
Maybe they are all riding cleaner ?

gasman
07-21-2011, 08:24 PM
I'm not sure why some put out the hate on the Schlecks, Contador, Evans or any other riders. They are amazing athletes but people I bet most of us have never met. We see only the side of them that the media portrays and listen to what they have to say often right after a stage when most of them probably aren't thinking too clearly. I admire all these guys as they are all working hard and most are paid a pittance except for the top guys. I haven't met a single rider but I suspect most of them are pretty good guys with a few exceptions.

stephenmarklay
07-21-2011, 08:29 PM

Wow. I think he is the man.

stephenmarklay
07-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Funny as I was a little amused at the of the Schleck bashing going on here. Maybe they were whining but we all do. They put their life and health, career, emotions etc in front of the camera for us.

Every single person in the tour has spent their lives training to do it. Good for them all and good for the one that comes out on top of this incredible race.

bicycletricycle
07-21-2011, 08:53 PM
normally i am not a big contador fan.

He is usually so dominant and it just seems silly to root for the strongest man. Contador also just doesnt take enough risks, He is a little too calculating, like Lance. I think we all would like to see more riders go out and ride at the limit. IMHO

however,

When I saw him fall off the back in the last few kilometers I was really bummed. He was obviously having a really tough day in the saddle and my heart instantly went out to him. It is hard to see a mans dreams disappear right in front of him.

The Brothers always talk big game and always ride like shell shocked kittens.
IMHO. Attacking, sitting up, attacking, sitting up, complaining, holding press conferences. It is just a little too much talk for me to be a big fan. Their ride in the Pyrenees was more of the same. It looked like Andy had more in the tank but for some reason wouldn't go and I just really wanted less caution and more confidence or at least less post race mouthing off (something about too many descents, im sure the sprinters would like it if the whole thing was flat but you dont see them suggesting we leave the mountains out this year)

then

Andy turned into a animal. ripped the Alps a new a** hole and I was like

"Wow! Andy is the coolest dude ever and his bike fits him perfectly, I am buying a trek and moving to Luxembourg and maybe he will be my friend"

When Eddy was leaning out of the sun roof yelling at him and He was looking really wooped at the top I almost started to cry. It was really great to see someone put their whole heart on the line. And Frank hanging back keeping an eye on everyone for his Bro when he might have been able to work for himself and move up in time a little more, showing some real heart as well.

Today made me realize that all of these guys are amazing and I should just be a fan of every professional racer because they all work hard and they all have heart.

P.S.

Cadel put some serious hurt down on lots of "climbers" today and that was awesome, Voekler was like a super hero and an under dog in one. He is in yellow, dropping people on the climb, telling people he has no chance, riding down peoples drive ways to avoid crashing during balls out descents and looking like he is about to actually pass out at the finish. Whats not to Love about this man?

firerescuefin
07-21-2011, 08:55 PM
normally i am not a big contador fan.

He is usually so dominant and it just seems silly to root for the strongest man. Contador also just doesnt take enough risks, He is a little too calculating, like Lance. I think we all would like to see more riders go out and ride at the limit. IMHO

however,

When I saw him fall off the back in the last few kilometers I was really bummed. He was obviously having a really tough day in the saddle and my heart instantly went out to him. It is hard to see a mans dreams disappear right in front of him.

The Brothers always talk big game and always ride like shell shocked kittens.
IMHO. Attacking, sitting up, attacking, sitting up, complaining, holding press conferences. It is just a little too much talk for me to be a big fan. Their ride in the Pyrenees was more of the same. It looked like Andy had more in the tank but for some reason wouldn't go and I just really wanted less caution and more confidence or at least less post race mouthing off (something about too many descents, im sure the sprinters would like it if the whole thing was flat but you dont see them suggesting we leave the mountains out this year)

then

Andy turned into a animal. ripped the Alps a new a** hole and I was like

"Wow! Andy is the coolest dude ever and his bike fits him perfectly, I am buying a trek and moving to Luxembourg and maybe he will be my friend"

When Eddy was leaning out of the sun roof yelling at him and He was looking really wooped at the top I almost started to cry. It was really great to see someone put their whole heart on the line. And Frank hanging back keeping an eye on everyone for his Bro when he might have been able to work for himself and move up in time a little more, showing some real heart as well.

Today made me realize that all of these guys are amazing and I should just be a fan of every professional racer because they all work hard and they all have heart.

P.S.

Cadel put some serious hurt down on lots of "climbers" today and that was awesome, Voekler was like a super hero and an under dog in one. He is in yellow, dropping people on the climb, telling people he has no chance, riding down peoples drive ways to avoid crashing during balls out descents and looking like he is about to actually pass out at the finish. Whats not to Love about this man?

Well said :beer:

97CSI
07-21-2011, 09:13 PM
While I would like to see TV win, don't think he believes in himself enough to do so. I once thought the same of CE. However, as he is a twice world champion MTB rider, I think I'm wrong and would not mind seeing him take it all. Think anyone who rides a grand tour is an amazing bike rider/athlete. Also think that in this day of specialization we will not see anyone win two grand tours in a row in the same year.

Wilkinson4
07-21-2011, 09:18 PM
Wow, watching the replay now and as awesome and epic an attack Andy has done, watching TV go into his depths to hang with the best is inspiring.

Tomorrow should be epic since Andy will need at least 2:30 going into the TT but hell, he may just ride the TT of his life. Or maybe not.

mIKE

dekindy
07-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Was it my imagine or did AS and FS also have the best support by a long shot today? AS had two guys up the road and nobody else's supporting cast could do pacemaking for them, or at least enough to make an impact. Or did the others just not have enough gas to get the most from their team? Voekler, Basso, and Contador each had a man up there so I don't know if they were not able to use them or the supporting rider was not giving enough support. Evans looks awesome and I am anxious to see how everyone fares tomorrow and then the time trial. Their is even more drama and excitement to come. Yesterday Paul was saying the next 48 hours would show who the winner will be. We have went 24 and imho we still have 48 hours to go before we know who wins. The Schleck's may have nothing left for the time trial after tomorrow or maybe they will get a fire in their bellies and buckle down to the discipline needed for the time trial. If they can endure that kind of pain on difficult mountain climbs, why not th time trial?

flydhest
07-21-2011, 09:47 PM
The Schlecks did a great, great stage today. Used the team, used themselves. Andy was EMPTY at the top . . . totally laid it on the line.

Cuddles was a freaking motor.

All that said--VOEKLER!!!!

wc1934
07-21-2011, 09:56 PM
I'm not sure why some put out the hate on the Schlecks, Contador, Evans or any other riders. They are amazing athletes but people I bet most of us have never met. We see only the side of them that the media portrays and listen to what they have to say often right after a stage when most of them probably aren't thinking too clearly. I admire all these guys as they are all working hard and most are paid a pittance except for the top guys. I haven't met a single rider but I suspect most of them are pretty good guys with a few exceptions.

Agree with Gasman-
Years ago when Contador, Heras et al were with Liberty Siguras I went to a meet and greet at Belmont Wheelworks - after the event some of use were allowed go stay and meet the pros - they were like kids in a candy store - riding around the store, doing wheelies etc - they were all very pleasant and friendly (got by with my limited spanish), but you could see that they were truly enjoying themselves - of course that was years ago and success may have gone to their heads, but they were not at all like they are currently being portrayed -

William
07-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Andy pulled out one heck of a ride today. Cadel was the strong man reeling him in. Frank rested and carbo loaded. Watch for him to attack tomorrow. TV kept the yellow, in large part, thanks to Cadel.

AC may try to get start something but I don't think he has the legs to make it stick. If Cadel can be strong again it's his tour. Andy delivered the jab, watch for Frank to throw the cross. Tom is going to hang on again as best he can.

William

Ti Designs
07-21-2011, 10:42 PM
Years ago when Contador, Heras et al were with Liberty Siguras I went to a meet and greet at Belmont Wheelworks - after the event some of use were allowed go stay and meet the pros

This just goes to show how little I know or care about pro racing. I remember that event 'cause they brought in all kinds of food...