PDA

View Full Version : Standard Drop Bars

stephenmarklay
07-21-2011, 08:39 AM
I replaced the Anatomic bars on my Specialized Tarmac with a 3t Retundo. I really liked them (3t) when I was riding aggressive. The point where my wrist would fall was pretty flat and I could basically just rest my hands on the hoods and be supported with my palms and wrists.

My new CX bike has Anatomic bars and like the tarmac I don't get it.
The curve is such that there is a big dip right in front of the hood making it uncomfortable to ride like a standard drop bar. I thought about moving the levers up an bit but that only goes so far.

Am I missing the point with this style of bar?

Ken Robb
07-21-2011, 10:43 AM
My guess is that the anatomic bars are meant for racing in a pretty aggressive position where cruising on the hoods isn't a commonly used technique.

I tried an anatomic bar once and found it really good when I grabbed the flat part of the drops but too short on the very bottom to use that position and they lacked the flat tops behind the hoods that I like so much on my Noodles.

ahumblecycler
07-21-2011, 10:50 AM
The bar also emerged to match up with the shape of ergo levers ... especially Shimano.

eddief
07-21-2011, 10:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EWM0KTdCOY

Pyramor
07-21-2011, 01:13 PM
+1 on the FSA compact. I have both the Wing Pro and the Omega versions. I like the wing better. I don't have to add any additional padding to be comfortable. I had to add some 1/8 inch cork to the top of the Omegas, but the flat-top Wing still feels better. Also, much easier to use the drops on the compacts than the anatomical.

stephenmarklay
07-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Whenever I post a question on this board I get such a wealth of useful information. Thank you all so very much. That video link was perfect. I think some omega bars will work perfect. I have cx levers on the top bar which will be nice cruising with my 6 year old so flat tops won't work.

07-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Take a look at the 3T Ergonova Pro's. Aluminum. Inexpensive. Broad top (doesn't fit cross top-levers if that's your thing). Very nice bend. And for cross, get them in the 38 cm width. You can pop through holes better. They don't snag on as much. They also give you a narrower position when shouldering the bike. Many plusses. And they are very stiff. Wide bars are never as stiff as narrow ones, and these are like carbon track bars. I'm switching and using them everywhere on the road. There are threads elsewhere which address the merits of narrower width bars versus the old traditional broad ones, but it's worth checking out.

MadRocketSci
07-21-2011, 06:13 PM
anatomics are better for technical descending imho. more comfortable to rest a palm on the flat part, better reach to the levers...

stephenmarklay
07-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Interesting. I am 6'0 with Normal shoulder width and have always used a 44cc.

Take a look at the 3T Ergonova Pro's. Aluminum. Inexpensive. Broad top (doesn't fit cross top-levers if that's your thing). Very nice bend. And for cross, get them in the 38 cm width. You can pop through holes better. They don't snag on as much. They also give you a narrower position when shouldering the bike. Many plusses. And they are very stiff. Wide bars are never as stiff as narrow ones, and these are like carbon track bars. I'm switching and using them everywhere on the road. There are threads elsewhere which address the merits of narrower width bars versus the old traditional broad ones, but it's worth checking out.

stephenmarklay
07-21-2011, 08:49 PM
anatomics are better for technical descending imho. more comfortable to rest a palm on the flat part, better reach to the levers...

You know I think there are so many different styles of bars that it is hard to say anatomic or not are better. I think there are just better bars and bars that suck :)