PDA

View Full Version : Fit Question

steveo
07-20-2011, 08:15 PM
(MODS can you please move this to the Fit forum, sorry)

So, I just picked up a new frame and I'm now having second thoughts on whether it'll actually work out. I'm asking the great minds here to help point me in the right direction. Here's the scenario.

I'm ~6'0'' with a 34 cycling inseam.

My road bike is a compact 56.5TTx52ST with a BB height of 10.575''

I just picked up a cross frame that's 57TTx57TT with a BB height of of 11.5''

After receiving the frame and taking a look at it (with a set of wheels) next to my road bike, it's noticeably different.

I totally didn't take into account BB height. I thought, I ride a 57TT bike, a 57ST, should work as well...so, the frame should fit.

Will this fit? Or, maybe a better question is, how will it affect fit? I'm not used to such a high BB and such a high stand over.

Should I invest money/time building this up, or, by the sound of it, is it too big?

Thanks in advance.

S

Peter P.
07-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Sounds like you're interested in standover clearance on the 'cross bike.

Remember; 'cross bikes will also have larger tires, raising the BB height even more-as much as 1cm as I believe the current max tire width permissible for racing is 34mm.

You should mount a pair of wheels on the bike with the fattest tires you expect to use and straddle the top tube. If you have 1" clearance, you should be safe. You're more interested in safe dismounts in 'cross races and if you're not going to race, then at least be able to dismount on the road quickly without your crotch smacking the top tube.

Beyond that, if you can get the seat high enough and that 57cm top tube is what you like, you should be all set.

Don't overthink it.

ultraman6970
07-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Well, dont consider stand over size because the frames have different BB height. So stand over doesnt work.

In my opinion u are ok with the 57 cm TT. The new one is not sloping geometry, the road one it is, so the only point of comparison is the top tube. Probably the reach is similar, doubt is off more than 10 mm tho.

Agree, u are overthinking this too much.

oldpotatoe
07-21-2011, 07:44 AM
(MODS can you please move this to the Fit forum, sorry)

So, I just picked up a new frame and I'm now having second thoughts on whether it'll actually work out. I'm asking the great minds here to help point me in the right direction. Here's the scenario.

I'm ~6'0'' with a 33 cycling inseam.

My road bike is a compact 56.5TTx52ST with a BB drop of 7.2 (or height of 6.175)

I just picked up a cross frame that's 57TTx57TT with a BB height of of 11.5 (or drop of 1.875)

After receiving the frame and taking a look at it (with a set of wheels) next to my road bike, it's noticeably different.

I totally didn't take into account BB height. I thought, I ride a 57TT bike, a 57ST, should work as well...so, the frame should fit.

Will this fit? Or, maybe a better question is, how will it affect fit? I'm not used to such a high BB and such a high stand over.

Should I invest money/time building this up, or, by the sound of it, is it too big?

Thanks in advance.

S

Compare seat tube angle and virtual top tube length between the two frames and then see if you have enough standover.

Femur length is the number to determine seat tube angle, torso, arm length and flexibility for top tube length and stem length..then inseam for standover.

Got a fit place nearby that can duplicate the new frame dimensions on a fit cycle, then see if it fits?

steveo
07-21-2011, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the help! Here are a few more bits of info!

The seat tube angles are:
Road: 73.5
Cross: 73

Virtual TT
Road: 56.3
Cross: 57

Femur length: 23.5
Forearm: 13.5
Torso: 24.75
Inseam: 34

palincss
07-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Well, dont consider stand over size because the frames have different BB height. So stand over doesnt work.

I'm not sure what you mean here. With respect to stand-over, there's just one question to ask: do you smack your goolies, or not? If you do, you have a stand-over problem. If not, you don't.

RPS
07-21-2011, 02:42 PM
My road bike is a compact 56.5TTx52ST with a BB drop of 7.2 (or height of 6.175)

I just picked up a cross frame that's 57TTx57TT with a BB height of of 11.5 (or drop of 1.875)

For my benefit can you add units of measure to these numbers? :confused:

I see they add to 13.375 (guess tire radius in inches?) but not sure how you got them. I don't follow a BBKT height of 6.175; unless 7.2 was in centimeters and you subtracted from 13.375.

steveo
07-21-2011, 04:53 PM
For my benefit can you add units of measure to these numbers? :confused:

I see they add to 13.375 (guess tire radius in inches?) but not sure how you got them. I don't follow a BBKT height of 6.175; unless 7.2 was in centimeters and you subtracted from 13.375.
Fixed it for ya! Thanks for the catch.