PDA

View Full Version : OLN Tour Coverage WARNING . . .

BumbleBeeDave
07-02-2005, 09:17 PM
This evening I went over to my friend Jeff’s house and traded him a pizza for screen priveliges to watch stage 1. Having already checked out Velo News today, I already knew the outcome. Jeff did not. All I told him was that it was definitely worth watching till the end this evening, as he wondered aloud if watching the whole thing was worth suffering through the 5,467 commercial breaks.

Well, about 20 minutes before the end they show an ad for tomorrow’s coverage and what do they show us in the commercial? You guessed it--Lance blowing past Jan in this evening’s time trial BEFORE they had shown it as part of the regular broadcast! Jeff was P*SSED!!! Can’t say as I blame him, either.

So be WARNED--for all I know they are going to do this EVERY night. If it weren’t for getting to see the new b**bs Kirsten Gum got for her birthday, it wouldn’t have been worth watching at all! :rolleyes:

BBDave

CJH
07-02-2005, 09:45 PM
Yeah! Can relate to that, same thing was going on last year!!! I suppose that if one is not watching the live feed some "manual" filtering is necessary during the ads, which btw come with such a frequency you'd think they've sold ad space for the nxt 3 years to compensate for the LA retirement?! Anyway, gotta' love the multitude of reruns but it would be great if they didn't blow the "suspense"...

On another note 3 weeks is a long time, much can happen. It ain't over til' the fat lady Crows! I mean sings...

Lifelover
07-02-2005, 09:48 PM
Yeah! Can relate to that, same thing was going on last year!!! I suppose that if one is not watching the live feed some "manual" filtering is necessary during the ads, which btw come with such a frequency you'd think they've sold ad space for the nxt 3 years to compensate for the LA retirement?! Anyway, gotta' love the multitude of reruns but it would be great if they didn't blow the "suspense"...

On another note 3 weeks is a long time, much can happen. It ain't over til' the fat lady Crows! I mean sings...

It did happen some last year and I I recall there was an outcry of complaints and they stopped.

Why they would do it again I don't know but send them an e-mail.

feedback address is

geeta_nehra@olntv.com

BBB
07-03-2005, 04:20 AM
BBDave, suggest you move to Australia; two hours live coverage every night during the TdF. Only problem being the time difference, with stages generally finishing at 1.00am (last night it was 3.00am). And prior to start of last night's action they showed Hell on Wheels and an hour re-cap of last years race. And this is all on free to air TV.

William
07-03-2005, 05:49 AM
BBDave, suggest you move to Australia; two hours live coverage every night during the TdF. Only problem being the time difference, with stages generally finishing at 1.00am (last night it was 3.00am). And prior to start of last night's action they showed Hell on Wheels and an hour re-cap of last years race. And this is all on free to air TV.
:crap: :crap: :crap:

Only.............network tv
Local............yocals
10 seconds....3rd string sports casters

OH THE HUMANITY!!!! :crap:

William :D

Bruce H.
07-03-2005, 11:09 AM
That was bad of OLN but then.......
I was going to ask if I am the only one who feels as if OLN interrupts their commercials with a bit of the tour, but you covered that in first paragraph. My opinion is when Lance retires. so does OLN coverage since they will not have 50% fill-in time of Lance to go with their 30% ad time. :crap: :crap:
Bruce H

PhsychoCyclist
07-03-2005, 11:44 AM
:no: Oh hell, when I was a kid you had to listen to the BBC World Service on a shortwave radio to hear about Eddy Merckx' wins. Now OLN has it on all day, so what if there's a commercial here and there, O.K. mostly here, but we get to SEE IT :banana:

William, get the fish hooks out of your pockets ;) and get a satalite dish, there's more than just the tour on it.

OnceFast
07-03-2005, 12:29 PM
I just saw OLN's latest compelling coverage - the Sheryl Show. The best part was Bob "Roll"ing his eyes over the lady. Oh please, spare us this s***. Love the rider, hate the girl friend.

george
07-03-2005, 01:36 PM
OLN + TIVO= CYCLING BLISS. Todays three hour coverage that started at 7:30 a.m. I watched in about 2 hours (minus the commercials that I fast forward pass) also the "instant replay" comes in very handy when Lance PASSED Ulrich!!

PhsychoCyclist
07-03-2005, 01:47 PM
Better living through technology, eh George? Invite William over, the poor guy's still watching black & white T.V. :D

William
07-03-2005, 01:56 PM
Better living through technology, eh George? Invite William over, the poor guy's still watching black & white T.V. :D

Yeah, I'll only take up half of your house. Just give me a mixing bowl, a bulk box of Coco Puffs, and a gallon of milk, and I'll sit in the corner quietly munching away. Won't even no I'm there.....................do you have any paper towels??

William ;)

PhsychoCyclist
07-03-2005, 01:59 PM
Yeah, I'll only take up half of your house. Just give me a mixing bowl, a bulk box of Coco Puffs, and a gallon of milk, and I'll sit in the corner quietly munching away. Won't even no I'm there.....................do you have any paper towels??

William ;)
sorry William, that job is already filled by two useless cats, do you do windows?

A long time ago when I lived outside of Boston and LeMond was beating Hinault all Bob Lobell could say about the race was "you really wanted to win this race because they made the second place rider wear a stupid polka dot shirt" He isn't still working up there, is he?

BumblebeeDave, ask BruceK what Eddie Andleman, another Boston sports guy, used to say about people who watched taped sporting events. :p

BumbleBeeDave
07-03-2005, 06:55 PM
. . . I want to ask Bruce right now is whether I could come over to his place to watch the Tour on his cable for about the next, oh, 8 or 9 days! :eek:

BBDave

Dekonick
07-04-2005, 10:44 AM
OLNTV used to be a favorite channel of mine - when they would show the spring classics, Giryo, Vuelta...

Now I feel like once Lance is gone so is cycling on TV. Thats why I say OLNTV sucks.

You MUST be kidding if I am to believe there are more PBR (bull riding for those who dont know) fans than cycling fans. Or catfish fishing shows, or turkey hunter shows...

The least they could do is have a 2 hour special each night during the big 3 -

Hopefully Discovery will continue their sponsorship and perhaps start broadcasting on their network?

I am sure there is alot I don't know but

PLEASE keep the cycling or my motto OLNTV sucks is coming back!

-great stage today!-

1centaur
07-04-2005, 06:04 PM
"OLN + TIVO= CYCLING BLISS"

With the caveat that I far prefer ReplayTV to TIVO, amen to that. Every Tour I hear about the commercials and I think "what commercials?" Someday, there will be enough TIVO-equivalents that the advertising supported model for TV will change drastically, but for now the non-DVR world is supporting my happiness - the single best technological change in my life in the last 10 years (I was on the Net more than 10 years ago).

Bruce H.
07-04-2005, 09:48 PM
BBD...I'd love to have ya but I am out of town for a while.
Besides it is quite boring already having PL fill all the dead time with all his BS.
Bruce H