PDA

View Full Version : Tom Boonen and Thor

pbel
07-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Would it benefit Tom Boonen to try to copy Thor's career arc? Tom seems to have lost his high end sprint, when was the last time he won a bunch sprint against the top sprinters? The days of the green jersey and victory on Champs Elyeeses are probably over. And even recently he's even been outclassed in what was his personal kingdom, the cobbled classics. If you're a Tom Boonen fan, it's been a tough few years. He won Gent Wevelgem this year, and he was usually in the mix, but seemed to miss the key move or get outpowered or have a mechanical. All his big targets have been eluding him. So now what for Tom?

After watching Thor win his stages, I wonder why that couldn't be Tom. He is a similar weight (although taller), a few years younger, and has a presumably similar power profile as Thor. Thor was always a pack sprinter with a focus on cobbled classics. In a way he was Boonen-lite. Seeing him on the breakaway, he obviously worked on his climbing and all-arounding and it paid off. If Boonen concentrated on those skills, could we see that from him? His 2009 Roubaix victory ended with an impressive solo "time-trial" so he can do it.

Should he still keep his focus on April classics and keep grinding away? Since re-signing with Quick Step, I would think this is the likely outcome. But I would love to see him do the "Thor". Any opinions?

FlashUNC
07-20-2011, 02:12 PM
I think his career's gone totally sideways. For a guy who 5 years ago looked like the next De Vlaeminck, he's gotten into more trouble off the bike than race wins it seems.

He's not even the best Belgian rider these days...

William
07-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Seems to me that Thor is doing what Larent Jalabert did, went from being a sprinter to more of a climber/stage winner.

William

MattTuck
07-20-2011, 02:19 PM
As much as I got turned on to pro cycling by Lance and the TDF, I absolutely have become a bigger fan of the one day classics.

Stage races are won through consistency, not making stupid mistakes, metering your effort and covering a handful of real contenders.

The classics are won on heart, determination and luck. In my opinion, more fun to watch.

I love any guy who dedicates himself to fight on the cobbles and early spring classics. Those are real hard men.

Boonen is a great rider, in last year's PR and RvV, I believe he was the last one able to hang with FC. Would love to see him win more, but I agree that he's probably lost that high end sprinting speed.

Even if he hadn't, I think the current reality is that to win bunch sprints, you're best going to races where Mark Cavendish isn't riding.

thwart
07-20-2011, 02:33 PM
The classics are won on heart, determination and luck. In my opinion, more fun to watch. 1+

azrider
07-20-2011, 02:52 PM
The classics are won on heart, determination and luck. In my opinion, more fun to watch.

+1

This.

I can no longer sit through stages of a Tour whether flat or mtn stage, and find myself fast forwading to final 20K. That is, if i watch at all.

But a classic?......i am glued the entire 3+ hours for coverage

Waldo
07-20-2011, 03:21 PM
2011 Ghent-Wevelgem seems recent enough, though I'd agree with the OP, especially in light of TB's recent pronouncements regarding loss of nerve/interest in bunch sprinting.

BdaGhisallo
07-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Don't forget that Thor was an U23 World Champion in the time trial, so he has skills that TB hasn't shown himself to have. Having that capacity (mostly mental I would say) helps a good bit in riding like Thor does.

firerescuefin
07-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Would it benefit Tom Boonen to try to copy Thor's career arc? Tom seems to have lost his high end sprint, when was the last time he won a bunch sprint against the top sprinters? The days of the green jersey and victory on Champs Elyeeses are probably over. And even recently he's even been outclassed in what was his personal kingdom, the cobbled classics. If you're a Tom Boonen fan, it's been a tough few years. He won Gent Wevelgem this year, and he was usually in the mix, but seemed to miss the key move or get outpowered or have a mechanical. All his big targets have been eluding him. So now what for Tom?

After watching Thor win his stages, I wonder why that couldn't be Tom. He is a similar weight (although taller), a few years younger, and has a presumably similar power profile as Thor. Thor was always a pack sprinter with a focus on cobbled classics. In a way he was Boonen-lite. Seeing him on the breakaway, he obviously worked on his climbing and all-arounding and it paid off. If Boonen concentrated on those skills, could we see that from him? His 2009 Roubaix victory ended with an impressive solo "time-trial" so he can do it.

Should he still keep his focus on April classics and keep grinding away? Since re-signing with Quick Step, I would think this is the likely outcome. But I would love to see him do the "Thor". Any opinions?

Well thought out...Thor may have been the best rider at Roubaix, but tactics dictated someone else would win. You're right, Tom could learn much from him...and seems to be trending that direction. He has had some problems off the bike, but knee and back issues have reared their head as well. Its an art and a science staying fit and healthy as a aging athlete, and he seems to be learning that.