PDA

View Full Version : Favorite MTB shoe

Dan Le foot
07-20-2011, 08:45 AM
Good morning gang.

I’ve been spinning the Sidi Genius shoe/Speedplays on my road bike for many years. The shoes were expensive but are very comfortable and extremely durable.
But the road shoe/Speedplay on the cross bike doesn’t cut it if you ever have to get off the bike to hike through the mud etc. So I just picked up a set of Shimano XT pedals and was going to buy a pair of Sidi Dominator MTB shoes until I started to read reviews on the shoes.
Here is a sample of the current reviews.

“Do not buy these shoes if throughout your entire ride you ever get off of your bike. The soles are made of plastic. If the stiching gets wet it rots and the soles come apart. If you ever bike hike on aggressive sections beware. You will break your neck in these. Walking in these is very uncomfortable. On the other hand, if you are a cross country rider and all you do is clip in at the truck and burn up a XC trail that allows you to stay on, then go for it. These are a good shoes on the pedal. They breathe well and look good. For the money you think SIDI could come up with a better bottom. Oh well.”

Looks like the Sidi is out of contention. Reviews are pretty consistent.
So what is your favorite MTB shoe?
Thanks.
Dan

veloduffer
07-20-2011, 09:10 AM
How much walking are you talking about? If you plan to do a lot of walking (visiting sites, hiking trails), then I would aim toward mtb shoes that look more like hiking or trail shoes, rather than racing mtb shoes like the Dominators.

The tradeoff is a more compliant sole - better for walking but less efficient for pedaling. They (hiking type) will be heavier as their soles will have more rubber and siping than race shoes with carbon platforms.

I have and still use Lake MX 170 and Specialized Tahoe shoes for touring, and use Sidi and Bontrager RXL for racing/training. They have a wider width than the European made shoes, and Lake come in wide width sizes too. Check out the Lake Adventure series:

Lake Shoes (http://www.lakecycling.com/mens-shoes.aspx)

Specialized Tahoe (http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=59400)

You MUST go to a store to try them on. Sizing between mfrs has some variation and you really need to see how they'll feel because of the long hours that you'll be wearing them.

AngryScientist
07-20-2011, 09:16 AM
i would take that review with a grain of salt. no good mtb shoes are "comfortable" to walk in IMO, the stiff sole prevents that. it's really a non-issue of you're off the bike for a few minutes at a time, getting around.

i have some of the least expensive Sidi mtb shoes out there (plastic soles) and they have been great.

roguedog
07-20-2011, 09:17 AM
I just got a pair of Specialized Pros. I'm really liking them. Was trying to debate between the Sidi Dominators as well but the Pros were on sale and I think the Specialized fit me better with the wider toe box.

gdw
07-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Lake. Their vibram soled models are exceptional for all around use. I prefer the models with velcro straps and avoid those with buckles and boa closures after having had them gum up on cold muddy rides.

rugbysecondrow
07-20-2011, 09:19 AM
I have the Sidi Dominator as my all around shoe, great for MTBiking and the road. Lots of folks here use them as well, so I am not sure about the issues. I have used them to walk up hills, step off the trail to take a leak etc. They are not hike/bike shoes, but they are walkable. Not sure about the stiching issue, I have worn mine in the rain, sweat, mud, puddles etc with no issues, still holding up well.

If you want a nice shoe to wear on the road for walking around (plug here) I purchased the Keen cycling sandal and I love them. I have traveled with them and my coupled bike as my only cycling shoes, no issues and they are great. I had to trim the sole a little to accomodate the pedal, but that is not an issue.

bigflax925
07-20-2011, 09:32 AM
Lake MX155. I have a couple of pairs of these, I like them so much.

Internal neoprene "bootie" fits snug and is extremely comfortable. Laces cross wide, so no pressure points and a velcro tabs holds the laces down so they don't get caught in the crank. They breathe well and are very comfortable to walk in.

They also can pass for a casual boot so I can wear them into work and not garner stares.

http://www.prisacycling.com/media/00/a20792013067e1b0553abb_m.JPG

I use them on road and off... that is when I'm not wearing my Lake sandals!

DRZRM
07-20-2011, 09:33 AM
I've ridden Sidi Dominators for years on my MTB and cross frames and recently decided I wanted a stiffer sole. I avoided the heat shapable carbon shoes as I could not try them out without a huge investment, I looked for shoes I could try on as they would eventually fit. Tried a few shoes, I liked Sidi Dragons, Lake MX 330, and the new Carnac Pulsar. STP had a ridiculous sale on the Carnacs, and I like their fit a lot so I picked them up. I'm still not sure about their mag closure buckling system as it is hard to adjust on the fly, but once you get it right they feel great. No good race shoe is going to feel like a hiking boot, their strength is their stiffness, you get used to it. The trade-off is a much better feel on the bike. Be sure to try stuff on, or buy from a store with liberal return policies (like STP-Sierra Trading Post).

Edit: Not that anyone is likely to come back to this post, but the Carnacs are rife with problems, the closers are a bad design a screw holding on the tread is stripped which leads to a creaking sound when you walk. Back they go, I think I'll buy some Sidi Dragons.

veloduffer
07-20-2011, 09:44 AM
i would take that review with a grain of salt. no good mtb shoes are "comfortable" to walk in IMO, the stiff sole prevents that. it's really a non-issue of you're off the bike for a few minutes at a time, getting around.

i have some of the least expensive Sidi mtb shoes out there (plastic soles) and they have been great.

That was my point of asking how much walking. Racing mtb shoes tend to have very stiff platforms (carbon these days) and the soles are hard plastic rather than rubber. That's fine for mud and soft conditions like on a trail. But on rocks and roots, particularly when wet, and floors (when visiting tourist sites), the more flexible shoe with the rubber bottoms are better. I have hiked a few miles in my Dominators through the rocky Jersey woods after breaking my mtb; the stiff sole and plastic grips resulted in some precarious footing going downhill.

I wouldn't use my Dominators or RXLs for when I plan to do a fair amount of walking and take that minor tradeoff in pedaling efficiency. I've used my Specialized Tahoes for touring and have been quite happy with the compromise. :beer:

AngryScientist
07-20-2011, 09:53 AM
That was my point of asking how much walking. Racing mtb shoes tend to have very stiff platforms (carbon these days) and the soles are hard plastic rather than rubber. That's fine for mud and soft conditions like on a trail. But on rocks and roots, particularly when wet, and floors (when visiting tourist sites), the more flexible shoe with the rubber bottoms are better. I have hiked a few miles in my Dominators through the rocky Jersey woods after breaking my mtb; the stiff sole and plastic grips resulted in some precarious footing going downhill.

I wouldn't use my Dominators or RXLs for when I plan to do a fair amount of walking and take that minor tradeoff in pedaling efficiency. I've used my Specialized Tahoes for touring and have been quite happy with the compromise. :beer:

agreed on all points.

fourflys
07-20-2011, 10:05 AM
Dan,
I'm sure the Lakes would be great, I ride their road shoe... I have a pair of Diadora Mtn shoes I picked up at Cal Bike in La Jolla that are really nice... and the soles have plenty of grip on rocks, etc... the SPD cleats fit very well in the shoe as well...

Chris

d_man16
07-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Give specialized comps a try- They are a happy medium: their stiff enough for climbs but they'll still make it over roots and wet boulders w/o giving you greif and if you look around you can usually find them on sale too

Ken Robb
07-20-2011, 10:35 AM
I have enjoyed Shimano M20 shoes for years. They were the least expensive in the line, pretty light, semi-flexible rubber soles with moderate treads and they lace up just like an athletic shoe. The sole is plenty stiff with SPD pedals (no hot spots for me) and stiff enough even with my Crank Bros. pedals for me.
They are well-ventilated and excellent for walking on all surfaces including tile floors.
They were replaced by M21 model and I don't know what's in the current line but I would suggest trying the lower-priced shoes from a good maker first.

If you're around a 46-47 you can try mine while on a bike.

djg21
07-20-2011, 11:38 AM
I agree that the soles suck on SIDI MTB shoes. They're plastic, and incredibly slippery on hard surfaces like asphalt or slick granite (like that here in the NE) or slickrock. I've been terrified when wearing sidis to dismount at speed on anything even remotely slippery, especially in wet conditions.

If you spend a lot of time on a cross bike/mtb and can justify the expense, I'm partial to D2 shoes. The Fang Cyclocross shoe is really something. http://www.cxmagazine.com/review-d2-fangs-custom-to-cyclocross-shoes.

D2 uses a Vibram sole on its MTB and cross shoes which is much more grippy than the Sidi.

nahtnoj
07-20-2011, 11:45 AM
I'm on my eighth season on a pair of SIDI Action SRS. Figure somewhere around 50K, I dunno. First 2-3 years where mainly on an MTB on some of the rockiest trails in the nation.

Shoes are pretty trashed now, the heel cup is starting to split on the right side because I wear an orthodic on that side which lifts my heel a bit.

I can't comment on traction because the SRS sole is a different material than the non-SRS, but durability concerns are a joke, frankly.

russ46
07-20-2011, 12:14 PM
+1 on the Specialized Comps. Had a pair of Garneau's before with the hard plastic soles. About broke my tailbone on the stairs at our house & every trip across the tile floor of my office lobby was an adventure. No such problems with the Comps. Don't do much walking in them, but can attest they handle walking a road bike up a steep dirt road for 1/2 a mile ok.

m.skeen
07-20-2011, 12:15 PM
For me S-works on the road and mtb. The last and shape just fit me. If Sidi's work for you try the Dominators. Buy them from REI and return them if they don't work out.

SpeedyChix
07-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Really like the Specialized shoes. Moved over from Sidi after years of using them on the mtb. Check them out, they've done well for me and lasted as well.

Dan Le foot
07-20-2011, 02:53 PM
I have the Sidi Dominator as my all around shoe, great for MTBiking and the road. Lots of folks here use them as well, so I am not sure about the issues. I have used them to walk up hills, step off the trail to take a leak etc. They are not hike/bike shoes, but they are walkable. Not sure about the stiching issue, I have worn mine in the rain, sweat, mud, puddles etc with no issues, still holding up well.

I have the old version of the Dominator and also didn't have an issue. (8+years old I would think)They are old and was going to simply replace them with the new version until I saw the negative reviews in MTBR.
Dan

SpeedyChix
07-20-2011, 03:09 PM
I have the old version of the Dominator and also didn't have an issue. (8+years old I would think)They are old and was going to simply replace them with the new version until I saw the negative reviews in MTBR.
Dan
They changed the sole/lugs to that harder material. The older ones were great.

Dan Le foot
07-20-2011, 03:11 PM
How much walking are you talking about? If you plan to do a lot of walking (visiting sites, hiking trails), then I would aim toward mtb shoes that look more like hiking or trail shoes, rather than racing mtb shoes like the Dominators.

The tradeoff is a more compliant sole - better for walking but less efficient for pedaling. They (hiking type) will be heavier as their soles will have more rubber and siping than race shoes with carbon platforms.

I don't really hike in them, velo. Just a lot more comfortable walking around than my road shoes. We've been riding the cross bikes exclusively on our current trip in the Western States (Lots of off pavement riding) and we come up on many situations that we have to dismount and walk around obstacles. My road Sidis and Speedplay combo didn't work as you would expect.
I also was thinking about converting to Dominators/XT pedals as my all purpose set up for cross and road. So I am looking for a stiffer performance shoe.
Dan

Liberace
07-20-2011, 03:22 PM
I have delicate feet(multiple Jones fractures over the years) and really like the Specialized Pro mtb shoes. They fit great and are solid. I've also heard great things about Lake shoes too.

JeffS
07-20-2011, 03:45 PM
I hoard Diadora mountain shoes. Unfortunately, my supply of the older (and best) models is dwindling.

I have board-flat feet and can't deal with the shaping most companies try to do. Carbon soles seem to exacerbate the problem.

My fallbacks would be Specialized or Lake. Oddly enough, Sidi, whose motorcycle boots fit my like a glove, are the most painful cycling shoes I've tried to wear.

Dan Le foot
07-20-2011, 03:47 PM
Dan,
I'm sure the Lakes would be great, I ride their road shoe... I have a pair of Diadora Mtn shoes I picked up at Cal Bike in La Jolla that are really nice... and the soles have plenty of grip on rocks, etc... the SPD cleats fit very well in the shoe as well...

Chris
Hi Chris.
We've been in the West Yellowstone area for the last month.
The new cross bikes sure have come in handy on the trip. Many, many miles of improved dirt roads in the area. Incredible scenery. We saw Moose, Elk and a family of grizzlies on a ride the other day.
We will be in the Jackson (Wy) next week . I understand they have a couple of decent size bike stores and will have an opportunity to try some of the suggestions that are posted here.
Dan

Dan Le foot
07-20-2011, 04:01 PM
If you're around a 46-47 you can try mine while on a bike.
Thanks Ken.
The only things that get bigger as we get old are our cars and feet.
I'm up to a 48 now. :confused:
Dan

champ
07-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Shimano SH-M300 and 310 are great shoes with the custom heat molding. They work best with Shimano pedals but engage and release almost as well with most other pedals.

veggieburger
07-20-2011, 04:04 PM
Gaerne. Not the easiest to find, but the quality is exceptional...maybe because they are a small player and have something to prove. They fit very similiar to Sidi (on the narrow side) but last forever....my last pair gave me over a decade of hard use.

Olmo
07-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Good morning gang.

I’ve been spinning the Sidi Genius shoe/Speedplays on my road bike for many years. The shoes were expensive but are very comfortable and extremely durable.
But the road shoe/Speedplay on the cross bike doesn’t cut it if you ever have to get off the bike to hike through the mud etc. So I just picked up a set of Shimano XT pedals and was going to buy a pair of Sidi Dominator MTB shoes until I started to read reviews on the shoes.
Here is a sample of the current reviews.

So what is your favorite MTB shoe?
Thanks.
Dan

I think you're approaching this all wrong. Instead of changing away from a pedal design you like on your road bike, think about finding a version of that pedal that doesn't suffer from the mud problem the way the Speedplay does.

My favorite road shoe is my favorite MTB shoe, is my favorite 'cross and touring shoe, same pedals too. Punchline: same design as the Speedplays.

I use my Sidi Dominator mountain shoes with Bebop pedals.

Depending on who you listen to Speedplay stole the Bebop design (or vice-versa) and used it to market their X series of pedals. Essentially it is the same design. The difference is that at the time of the patent infringement Speedplay was an established company and well capitalized.

Bebop was finding remarkable traction selling their pedals as standard spec on some Kleins and Specialized, through LBSs and even through Nashbar and the like back in the day. Speedplay issued "cease and desist" letters throughout the distribution channel threatening to sue the various retailers if they continued to sell the Bebop pedals (claiming infringement). Long story short, Speedplay was wrong, and Bebop was awarded (if I remember a $1 in damages).

You'll notice that Speedplay has effectively bullied the retailers into not picking up the Bebops again. Bebop was sold off by the inventor, and where before the original company had refused to ever make a ti pedal (communicating that it was never going to be 'better' than their Aero-stainless pedal due to torsional loads and bearing race flex, the new company now makes a ti pedal. Kind of funny, sort of like if Greenpeace started selling Porsche Cayenne's and opening up gas stations only for big SUVs.

Anyway, the pedals are the best I've ever seen (being an open design) for dealing with mud for cross. They are the best mountain bike pedal I've ever used. They are far and away the best road pedal I've ever used.

In my opinion you were attracted to the right pedal design (Speedplay/Bebop) but the wrong iteration and manufacturer. Take one look at the Bebop and you'll be asking yourself why you ever used any other pedal.

I use the Sidi Dominator as my only pair of cycling shoes so I can walk in my cleats without falling. Also, I've had a bad accident with a two bolt cleat spinning on the sole of a road shoe preventing release. A two-bolt Bebop/Speedplay cleat can not physically rotate in the recess of the mountain tread.

One pedal for every bike (road, touring, tandem, etc.), and one pair of shoes. Mud-proof, tons of knee friendly float.

Plus I enjoy knowing that the evil gits at Speedplay didn't win with their shady business completely. I'm actually shocked that more cyclists that ride Speedplay pedals don't switch to Bebops.

http://www.beboppedals.com/prod.htm

To enjoy the hypocrisy of the current Bebop titanium pedals compare the original and the current archived Bebop University websites:

Original

http://web.archive.org/web/19970301235412/http://bebop.com/metals.htm

Revisionist History

http://beboppedals.site.aplus.net/

Switch from the Speedplay pedals to the Bebops for all your bikes. As for the shoe, I don't know if I would go with the Side Dominator again. I'd prefer a softer grippier tread. Also the sole is coming apart from the shoe at the toes. Not impressed for high zoot shoes that otherwise are in great condition.

palincss
07-20-2011, 04:54 PM
To enjoy the hypocrisy of the current Bebop titanium pedals compare the original and the current archived Bebop University websites:

Huh? Here's what the current web site says: "A word about spindles: most of our competitors sell high-priced versions of their pedals with titanium spindles. in fact, bebop and shimano are about the only ones that don't. wanna know why? enroll in applied metallurgy 101 at bebop university." I'm confused.

GRAVELBIKE
07-20-2011, 05:09 PM
I really wanted to like bebops. After chopping up more than one pair of shoes, dealing with slipping cleats, and struggling with entry/exit, I tried Frogs. Never once looked back. They've been on every single bike I've owned for the last 15+ years.

On the subject of shoes, I use Sidi Dominators. Yes, the soles don't offer the most traction on rocks, but I, personally, don't spend a lot of time portaging or doing hike-a-bike sections. I chose Sidis because they fit my feet, and the ratchet and straps offer outstanding security. I do have a pair of Shimano MW80 shoes for winter riding, but the Sidis are my go-to shoes for the rest of the year.

mossman
07-20-2011, 06:34 PM
if you will be walking, I highly recommend specialized elite touring shoes.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=57998

Ken Robb
07-20-2011, 06:37 PM
Thanks Ken.
The only things that get bigger as we get old are our cars and feet.
I'm up to a 48 now. :confused:
Dan
You forgot earlobes.

buldogge
07-20-2011, 09:40 PM
I like these a lot...

I just picked the wife up a pair of the Sport Tourings ($30 cheaper, straps only) today.

I've ridden the Sonomas for quite awhile, which are similar as well...very comfortable shoes.

I'm trying to justify the cost of the (2010) S-Works MTB shoe over the Elites as we speak...

-Mark in St. Louis

if you will be walking, I highly recommend specialized elite touring shoes.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=57998

William
07-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Lake MX155 here as well.

Speedplay for road, Eggbeaters on my crosser.

W.

Mattbotak
07-20-2011, 09:49 PM
I've been using a set of Sidid Dragon's for the last 6 years and love them. The soles are a little soft are now need to be replaced unlike my '97 Sidi Dominators that are still holding strong.