PDA

View Full Version : Ebay..wow

FixedNotBroken
07-19-2011, 08:30 PM
I am done with selling stuff on eBay. The littlest petty things seem to bother me on there. I sold a set of brand new Campy Record BB30 cups (I installed them, figured out I needed the BBright ones) then took them off so I listed them as a 'take-off' for $30 which is about half of what they cost. Apparently I forgot the retaining clip, or whatever that tiny thing is so he opened up a claim against me without even messaging me saying I misled him and that I was a scammer..I am not sure how much those little clips cost but it will cost him much more to ship everything back than to just go buy a new one. I thought I included it in there but I must have forgot..does anyone have one? I just can't believe certain people on there. He's getting the cups for half off and he complains about that little part. Oh well..I was wrong in the end because I didn't include it but still, some people are A$$es.

e-RICHIE
07-19-2011, 08:35 PM
was the part in the ebay item description or picture atmo?

ps

arrange disorder

:p :p :p
:p :p :p
:o :D :p

FixedNotBroken
07-19-2011, 08:36 PM
What's ATMO? haha

Pete Serotta
07-19-2011, 08:40 PM
Good, knowledgable gentleman is ATMO

FixedNotBroken
07-19-2011, 08:44 PM
What should I do? The ad was great :/

e-RICHIE
07-19-2011, 08:47 PM
What should I do? The ad was great :/
1) was the part in the ebay ad or not?
2) i use to throw those clips away once i installed the cranks.

ps

arrange disorder

:o :o :o
:D :D ;)
:p :( :cool:

rugbysecondrow
07-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Tell him you forgot the clip, have one ordered and sent to the guy. All you can do is try to make it right.

FixedNotBroken
07-19-2011, 08:49 PM
No..the clips were not included in the eBay ad. I said I could refund him money to buy a new one but he wants a full refund.

e-RICHIE
07-19-2011, 09:00 PM
No..the clips were not included in the eBay ad. I said I could refund him money to buy a new one but he wants a full refund.

i would ignore this atmo. most folks i know jettison the clip. the folks at campagnolo
told me to do it when it was all new. it does nothing. you knew that. it wasn't listed
and it wasn't shown in the item description. have a drink.

ps

arrange disorder

:p :p ;)
:p :p :cool:

maunahaole
07-19-2011, 09:29 PM
If it wasn't pictured in the ad and he did not ask about it prior his agreeing to purchase it - as the bid is the agreement to buy - he is taking an incorrect stance in demanding that you provide it. Let him open his dispute.

FixedNotBroken
07-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the input..are the clips even needed? Are they essential?

firerescuefin
07-19-2011, 09:38 PM
it does nothing

There's lateral play without it there, so I would have to disagree.

e-RICHIE
07-19-2011, 09:42 PM
There's lateral play without it there, so I would have to disagree.

once the cranks are tightened, it's gone atmo.
from campagnolo's lips to my ears.
no matter to me - i made the leap.

ps

arrange disorder

:( :( :(
;) ;) ;)

LiteFM
07-19-2011, 09:42 PM
Burn him!
http://i2.ytimg.com/vi/yp_l5ntikaU/hqdefault.jpg

firerescuefin
07-19-2011, 09:46 PM
once the cranks are tightened, it's gone atmo.
from campagnolo's lips to my ears.

ps

arrange disorder

:( :( :(
;) ;) ;)

So is it there to protect the bearing on installation??

e-RICHIE
07-19-2011, 09:58 PM
So is it there to protect the bearing on installation??

yes - once it's installed, it's basically a safety net.
if you really need it, you're effed anyway.
that was the company line atmo.
later.

ps

arrange disorder

:D :D :D
;) ;) ;)
:p :p :o

slowandsteady
07-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Tell him you forgot the clip, have one ordered and sent to the guy. All you can do is try to make it right.

EXACTLY the right thing to do...

cat6
07-19-2011, 10:52 PM
eBay has gotten greedy, and their customer service is lacking.

I had a buyer win an auction from the middle east to an address I couldn't understand. When I informed them I'll need additional shipping they immediately left negative feedback without contacting me AT ALL.

Thankfully the feedback was written like an idiot, and eventually brought from negative to neutral...but still. For the amount of money made by them I'd expect some human interaction when disputing anything.

Some colleagues from China were recently visiting and eBay and it's Chinese equalivant came up. They laughed and were shocked when I explained the fees involved, and they explained in China their popular auction website is free. When I asked how, they didn't say anything except "if it weren't nobody would use it".

I don't expect free, but double dipping between eBay and Paypal on top of poor service makes me wish there were another way! As long as the masses aren't upset it will continue on, and even the jaded will be forced to sell their old Pez collection there when times get tough. They bring the audience to the show, whether they abuse the performer or not...the show goes on.

Long rant from my iPhone!

thinpin
07-19-2011, 11:28 PM
yes - once it's installed, it's basically a safety net.
if you really need it, you're effed anyway.
that was the company line atmo.
later.

ps

arrange disorder

:D :D :D
;) ;) ;)
:p :p :o
Jeez, I got a headbutting roasting when I posed a question on this topic here some time ago. Some people!

rugbysecondrow
07-20-2011, 05:29 AM
Whether it is important is not pertinent. If you purchase an item the expectation is that the item is complete. The clip is part of the item and should accompany the BB.

This is not an excuse for the buyer to act like a douche though, reasonable people can come to an adequate solution for simple issues like this.

Cheers

FastVegan
07-20-2011, 05:38 AM
I was selling some non cycling stuff on ebay a few years ago. After an auction for a dvd set ended the buyer paid via paypal and instantly opened a ebay case against me, within minutes! I emailed him and his response was "if you dont send me my dvds I want my money back"

I rejected his paypal payment, and paid the auction fees.

That was the last time I sold anything on ebay.

Olmo
07-20-2011, 06:21 AM
I am done with selling stuff on eBay. The littlest petty things seem to bother me on there. I sold a set of brand new Campy Record BB30 cups (I installed them, figured out I needed the BBright ones) then took them off so I listed them as a 'take-off' for $30 which is about half of what they cost. Apparently I forgot the retaining clip, or whatever that tiny thing is so he opened up a claim against me without even messaging me saying I misled him and that I was a scammer..I am not sure how much those little clips cost but it will cost him much more to ship everything back than to just go buy a new one. I thought I included it in there but I must have forgot..does anyone have one? I just can't believe certain people on there. He's getting the cups for half off and he complains about that little part. Oh well..I was wrong in the end because I didn't include it but still, some people are A$$es.

Whether it is important is not pertinent. If you purchase an item the expectation is that the item is complete. The clip is part of the item and should accompany the BB.

This is not an excuse for the buyer to act like a douche though, reasonable people can come to an adequate solution for simple issues like this.

Cheers

Since you invited commentary, here is my two cents:

I'm in agreement with Rugby. From the language of your original post, I'm going to go with the buyer. Here's why: If you are referring to something as "brand new" and "take-off" that sure the heck leaves me to believe I'd be getting everything I'd be getting if it was new in the box. Now you may not think he needs the retaining clip, or think for the price he paid he could source them himself. However, by not communicating that something was missing, even inadvertently, I think the problem in all of this falls on you. I suspect that had your auction stated that the retaining clip was missing, but the cups were otherwise complete, your final clearing price would have been substantially lower. Here's why - even though you think the clip is superfluous, or otherwise easily acquirable, eBay has consistently proven that complete or cosmetically (but otherwise functionally negligibly better items) always sell for considerably more.

I think part of your frustration is that it feels new to you, and you think the price wasn't a fair reflection of the value of the good.

I think even in the Serotta classified forum a great many sellers are similar to yourself. They yearn to represent something as new, or near new, when in reality it just isn't. I think we all frustrate ourselves unnecessarily by placing expectations on market economics. When people sell things they want to get the value "as-if" they were new. It is just the age old principle that a new car loses significant value just for being titled, not truly for being driven off the lot (test drives don't realize the same loss in value - "driven off the lot"). Your retaining cups are worth what they are worth, and clearly the market proved that.

Your point that they sold for "half of what they cost" is very telling, at least to me. I think you should think again about what that actual concept means. I think your transaction reveals that nearly new, mounted once, "take-off" retaining cups cost exactly what the buyer bid. Now keep in mind that cost represented the buyer not knowing something was missing, whether Campy says its needed, or not.

I think at the end of the day you'll lose this claim, if it comes to that, and that you should. The item was not accurately described. It can't simultaneously be "brand new" which connotes the same as if the buyer bought it mail-order, and have parts missing (whether you think the parts are important or not). Had the market had that information, I suspect you'd be even more frustrated with the final bidding price.

Make this right for the buyer, and move on. In moving forward try not to let little or petty things get to you (as you communicated things on eBay were starting to do). Part of that involves being able to appropriately be able to take responsibility, be culpable, for anything that is "yours to own" without projecting back onto others. /My two cents.

e-RICHIE
07-20-2011, 06:45 AM
Your point that they sold for "half of what they cost" is very telling, at least to me. I think you should think again about what that actual concept means. I think your transaction reveals that nearly new, mounted once, "take-off" retaining cups cost exactly what the buyer bid. Now keep in mind that cost represented the buyer not knowing something was missing, whether Campy says its needed, or not.

this is ebay. the item was not sold, it was bid on. the OP might feel bad for the situation that he now finds himself in, but the high bidder is also part of the equation. he could as easily asked the ebay seller about the picture and expressed concern about a part he thought to be missing. were this all an LBS situation i might feel differently; the consumer could walk back to the store or call the online retailer and make a case, and then the dealer could work with him. the seller is not a dealer, he is some guy selling stuff off a virtual table at an internet tag sale. while there may be disappointment, the seller can't be responsible for the high bidder's emotions atmo. no one forced the bidder to enter an amount at all.

this all reminds me of another era in which we all removed dust caps from crank arms and they were never seen/used again. the spring in question has the same relevance as the dust cap: if you buy the item NOS/NIB you would expect to see it factory fresh in the box.

ps

arrange disorder

:p :D :D
:p :D :D
:o :cool: ;)

rugbysecondrow
07-20-2011, 07:14 AM
I think even in the Serotta classified forum a great many sellers are similar to yourself. .

I agree with much of what you said, but I think folks on the forum are a little more upfront. I bought a used Campy group from a fella on the forum and the seller was unable to locate the clip, he sent the group then sourced a new clip and sent it directly to me.

To the OP, here is what I would do:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Campagnolo-Drive-Side-BB-Clip-Ultra-Torque-Bottom-B-/160620113821?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2565b46f9d

Ship it to him, spend the 8 bucks and be done with it. 8 bucks is not worth the hassle.

I think this quote just about sums it up:
Oh well..I was wrong in the end because I didn't include it but still, some people are A$$es.

Spend the 8 bucks to get rid of this asshole.

oldguy00
07-20-2011, 07:17 AM
What I don't get is why anyone would buy a set of these, new or used, off ebay, when you can get them brand new, shipped, for under $20, from real retailers?

DRZRM
07-20-2011, 07:28 AM
I think this is very well said. "like new" suggests that you don't need to review photos to make sure the parts are all there. While I'm generally happy to defer to Richard on all questions about bikes (if only this could win me a place on his list) there are are conflicting interpretations as to the need for the retaining clip (see quote below, not mine, clipped from a discussion at Bikeforums.com) but I think the OP has a responsibility to deliver a complete BB, and I fear that EBay will side with the buyer. Send the clip to the buyer and wash your hands of the whole mess.

Quote from BF:

"Assemble a UT crank, but leave the wave washer and spring clip off. In this state, there is a little less than 3mm of side play available, depending on the exact width of the BB shell. The wave washer is made of spring steel that is about .6mm in thickness. The unrestrained wave washer height is about 3mm. To produce a preload tension, you know that the washer must be compressed by some amount, but less than 2.4mm. The BB shell alone can deviate in width by 1.6mm. Put the wave washer in place and reassemble the crank. The wave washer exerts a force against the left side bearing that is transferred through the spindle and forces the right side bearing tight against the face of it's bearing cup. It applies a force in the 20-60 pound range (as best I can measure), depending on the exact width of the BB shell (the wider the shell, the greater the force). There can be no preload tension on the right bearing unless it maintains contact with the face of it's bearing cup. Even with the wave washer in place, the crank can still be moved to the right by 1-2mm - fully compressing the wave washer if enough load is applied - but only if the retaining spring is not in place. If fully compressed, with no retaining spring in place, preload tension would vary constantly and could become excessive on the left or zero on the right, if the right bearing loses contact with the face of the bearing cup. The spring clip is what restricts the movement down to less than .5mm and maintains a relatively uniform preload tension. It also prevents both bearings from moving from side to side, causing wear on the cup bores.

If you want to believe that the retaining spring is only a safety item, fine, but please post something from Campy that states this to be the case. I say that it's far more important in preventing side to side movement that can wear the bearing cups and insures a more uniform preload tension on both bearings, to prevent premature bearing failure. I would never leave the retaining spring off.

If the spring was truly a safety item, it does a poor job. If the center fixing bolt comes loose, there's nothing to hold the left crankarm in place. Both crankarms would drop to the bottom of the stroke and drop the rider on the pavemment before either one would come completely off."

Since you invited commentary, here is my two cents:

I'm in agreement with Rugby. From the language of your original post, I'm going to go with the buyer. Here's why: If you are referring to something as "brand new" and "take-off" that sure the heck leaves me to believe I'd be getting everything I'd be getting if it was new in the box. Now you may not think he needs the retaining clip, or think for the price he paid he could source them himself. However, by not communicating that something was missing, even inadvertently, I think the problem in all of this falls on you. I suspect that had your auction stated that the retaining clip was missing, but the cups were otherwise complete, your final clearing price would have been substantially lower. Here's why - even though you think the clip is superfluous, or otherwise easily acquirable, eBay has consistently proven that complete or cosmetically (but otherwise functionally negligibly better items) always sell for considerably more.

I think part of your frustration is that it feels new to you, and you think the price wasn't a fair reflection of the value of the good.

I think even in the Serotta classified forum a great many sellers are similar to yourself. They yearn to represent something as new, or near new, when in reality it just isn't. I think we all frustrate ourselves unnecessarily by placing expectations on market economics. When people sell things they want to get the value "as-if" they were new. It is just the age old principle that a new car loses significant value just for being titled, not truly for being driven off the lot (test drives don't realize the same loss in value - "driven off the lot"). Your retaining cups are worth what they are worth, and clearly the market proved that.

I think at the end of the day you'll lose this claim, if it comes to that, and that you should. The item was not accurately described. It can't simultaneously be "brand new" which connotes the same as if the buyer bought it mail-order, and have parts missing (whether you think the parts are important or not). Had the market had that information, I suspect you'd be even more frustrated with the final bidding price.

Make this right for the buyer, and move on. In moving forward try not to let little or petty things get to you (as you communicated things on eBay were starting to do). Part of that involves being able to appropriately be able to take responsibility, be culpable, for anything that is "yours to own" without projecting back onto others. /My two cents.

oldpotatoe
07-20-2011, 07:57 AM

I have one, send me your address and I'll mail it. freebie..from a toasted set of cups.

BTW-these cups aren't $60 retail, about $40.

AND I hear ya brother. I sold a USED BB to some guy in Taiwan, I adverted it as used, and he gave me a negative feedback because he said the BB was used...HUH??

oldpotatoe
07-20-2011, 07:59 AM
i would ignore this atmo. most folks i know jettison the clip. the folks at campagnolo
told me to do it when it was all new. it does nothing. you knew that. it wasn't listed
and it wasn't shown in the item description. have a drink.

ps

arrange disorder

It does something, this clip and I doubt the folks at Campagnolo said it did nothing or to chuck it.

The crank will have side to side play w/o it and is the reason many say these cranks, when installed wrong, make noise.

rockdude
07-20-2011, 08:07 AM
If I would have bid on it, I would have expected the clip to be included. Get a clip and sent it to him. It the right thing to do......

dave thompson
07-20-2011, 10:35 AM
I have one, send me your address and I'll mail it. freebie..from a toasted set of cups.

AND I hear ya brother. I sold a USED BB to some guy in Taiwan, I adverted it as used, and he gave me a negative feedback because he said the BB was used...HUH??
Peter, you're a saint! Makes me wish I lived in Boulder

1happygirl
07-20-2011, 10:51 AM
I've told the story b4 but gets me upset still.

I had a great (I think Cateye) trainer. Almost brand new, but not used much. A lot of shops had 'em for training/fitting. Sold on Ebay. Had it professionally boxed by bike shop. They(the shop) excluded the mounting screws or something.

Guy goes on a tirade, very negative/vitriolic comments how he had to go all over on the weekend to find parts when he should have been riding the trainer, etc. NEVER A CALL/COMMENT TO ME VIA EMAIL/ phone IN ADVANCE. Bike shop gave me permission to use their name /# in my rebuttal (as they said sorry about the omission) but by then the damage was done. The bike shop then shipped the missing parts. I tried to call his buyer # to explain multiple times but he wouldn't reply or answer.

People. Gheezh. I had a perfect score.

Shipping plus dealing with unreasonable peeps takes too much of my time.

FixedNotBroken
07-20-2011, 11:08 AM
trying to justify anything, I KNOW I was wrong and that's what I stated. I didn't know the clip wasn't in there. I opened the box, took the picture, closed and shipped. It was my fault and I understand that but for someone to accuse me of being misleading and a scammer, that's another story. To open up a claim about something so small makes me not want to sell stuff on eBay. My point wasn't to justify my actions or anything, just to show that guy is an a$$. Thanks for all the feedback.

Peter,

PM will be sent.

Thanks all.

FixedNotBroken
07-20-2011, 11:09 AM

I just said $60 because that's what I paid for the Campy BBright adapter cups for the Cervelo. I wasn't aware the pricing was different, my bad.

Olmo
07-20-2011, 04:55 PM
I agree with much of what you said, but I think folks on the forum are a little more upfront. I bought a used Campy group from a fella on the forum and the seller was unable to locate the clip, he sent the group then sourced a new clip and sent it directly to me.

My point about the Serotta forum was not that sellers here would withhold information about missing parts making the item non-complete (superfluous or not). That wouldn't happen here, and if it did, the sellers reputation would be worthless. My point was that every day there is a seller in the Serotta forum attempting to rationalize something for sale as new when it isn't, using the same spurious rationalization that got the seller in trouble here: same as new, "as-new", etc.

New is new. Everything else isn't.

Olmo
07-20-2011, 05:00 PM
I've told the story b4 but gets me upset still.

I had a great (I think Cateye) trainer. Almost brand new, but not used much. A lot of shops had 'em for training/fitting. Sold on Ebay. Had it professionally boxed by bike shop. They(the shop) excluded the mounting screws or something.

Guy goes on a tirade, very negative/vitriolic comments how he had to go all over on the weekend to find parts when he should have been riding the trainer, etc. NEVER A CALL/COMMENT TO ME VIA EMAIL/ phone IN ADVANCE. Bike shop gave me permission to use their name /# in my rebuttal (as they said sorry about the omission) but by then the damage was done. The bike shop then shipped the missing parts. I tried to call his buyer # to explain multiple times but he wouldn't reply or answer.

People. Gheezh. I had a perfect score.

Shipping plus dealing with unreasonable peeps takes too much of my time.

If you hire an agent to complete a commercial transaction you are responsible for any negligence or simple mistake that your agent commits. I think my point to your comment would be the same as my point to the OP. Take responsibility for what is "yours to own" and stop projecting so that you do not have to be culpable. I think the perspective that the bike shop forgot to include the screws is skewed. I would suggest that you consider that you forgot to include the screws, through your agent, to complete the transaction.

When did we become a society that can't take responsibility for the most simple things? When did our collective mindset evolve to the point where nothing is ever "our" fault? I, personally, find this disturbing.

I think the answer in both cases is: There was no attempt to deceive. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. If you want to ship the item back to me I'll offer a full refund in good faith. Otherwise, I'll ship the missing parts out to you immediately.

These buyers have legitimate gripes.

firerescuefin
07-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Olmo...doesn't sound like to me anyone is shirking responsibility, but asking people to be reasonable. People seem to want to make it right. I think someone filing a claim or going "postal" before giving you an opportunity to make it right is a little (actually a lot) over the top.

The classifieds work pretty well here, and one hand washes the other. Take-offs are take-offs, mounted, never used. No one seems to be justifying anything as far as I see. I think your assertions are a little premature having been here less than a month.

Dave B
07-20-2011, 06:07 PM
I recently have been going through stupid stuff on eBay. I don't ship outside of continental US as it is just my way. I have in the last month auctions won by guys all over the globe telling me they would pay me in a month to 6 weeks when they visited the states.

Just today I got an email asking if I had shipped a package that it took over 3 weeks to pay for. I already had btw, but I am beginning to sweat selling things regardless of how well the pics show the item.

eBay has it's good and bad, I have had one negative and one neutral in all my time based on stupid people not listening to reason. Just stupid reasons that eBay won't use common sense to listen and delete their feedback. Plus if you have deadbeat buyers they literally can walk away unscathed.

Oh well.

FixedNotBroken
07-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Olmo...doesn't sound like to me anyone is shirking responsibility, but asking people to be reasonable. People seem to want to make it right. I think someone filing a claim or going "postal" before giving you an opportunity to make it right is a little (actually a lot) over the top.

The classifieds work pretty well here, and one hand washes the other. Take-offs are take-offs, mounted, never used. No one seems to be justifying anything as far as I see. I think your assertions are a little premature having been here less than a month.

+1..the item was un-used. The adapter was put in and my mechanic went to put the crank in and realized it didn't work. The cups were then removed and put in the box with the plastic. I didn't intentionally forget to put the clip in there, it just wasn't in the box and it flew over my head in thought. He filed the claim without even talking to me about it and was rude about it..I have 100% positive feedback (which means nothing..but whatever) and I am pretty effective when it comes to communication. He wasn't rational at all..just an ignorant prick. Oh well..

Olmo..you're assuming people on here are trying to get more bang for their buck by saying something is "new" or a "take-off"? I trust that the majority of sellers here are selling "new" or "take-off" items when they are listed that way. Please don't go saying that's not true because it is FOR THE MOST PART. You should spend some more time on here and see how the community works before saying something like that..a bit outlandish IMO.

Don49
07-20-2011, 07:44 PM
I recently have been going through stupid stuff on eBay. I don't ship outside of continental US as it is just my way. I have in the last month auctions won by guys all over the globe telling me they would pay me in a month to 6 weeks when they visited the states.

How is that an eBay problem?

Your seller's control panel (or whatever they call it now) allows you to select which countries you will ship to, and you can select United States as your only choice. You have the further option on the control panel of only accepting bids from countries that you ship to, i.e. the United States. Bidders from other countries are automatically refused. There's other options there too to customize your seller preferences.

1happygirl
07-21-2011, 01:24 AM

Thanks Fire!!!

Seriously, Olmo et. al.
I only knew the screws were not sent when I saw my ebay score. I paid the shop to ship and box it. If the buyer would have immediately called me, I would have shipped it overnight or whatever, no problemo.
you hire an agent to complete a commercial transaction you are responsible for any negligence or simple mistake that your agent commits. I think my point to your comment would be the same as my point to the OP. Take responsibility for what is "yours to own" and stop projecting so that you do not have to be culpable. I think the perspective that the bike shop forgot to include the screws is skewed. I would suggest that you consider that you forgot to include the screws, through your agent, to complete the transaction.

When did we become a society that can't take responsibility for the most simple things? When did our collective mindset evolve to the point where nothing is ever "our" fault? I, personally, find this disturbing.

I think the answer in both cases is: There was no attempt to deceive. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. If you want to ship the item back to me I'll offer a full refund in good faith. Otherwise, I'll ship the missing parts out to you immediately.

These buyers have legitimate gripes.

But OLMO, where is it where I have to do everyone else's job too? All over society as you say, I have to do everyone else's stuff too? If that's the case, why pay anyone to do anything. Mow my yard, change my oil etc.

What Fire says is the point. I was trying to be cool and the other guy went postal. Sorry he (the buyer) was disappointed, but accidents and mistakes happen. I'd hate to meet my or any of the other postal buyers when something REALLY important goes wrong. Life is too short to get upset about bike parts and especially when it is a legit mistake and you will make it right. Seriously.

If that's the case then I should stand over my bike, auto etc mechanic and make sure the job is done right or jump 'em when it's not. Seriously.
Upset again. No ebay for my usually never used but once parts to change me from a happy girl to an unhappy girl. upset over