PDA

View Full Version : Saddle width

shankldu
07-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Has any one had hip joint pain when riding a wider saddle, i have been trying wider saddle than i normal do and seem to be having pain. it would seem to reason that if a saddle was wider than your sit bones or sort of wedged in there it might press outward causing pain. The thing is its very comfortable otherwise.

regularguy412
07-19-2011, 03:51 PM
Yes. It took me several years and a professional fit to finally get it right. I was on a 143. Every pedal stroke tried to unseat my right hip socket. Been on 127 - 130 width for many years, now, and no issues. Much of it depends on just 'how' you sit on the saddle. Hips rolled farther forward usually means a narrower saddle.

Mike in AR:beer:

Climb01742
07-19-2011, 04:27 PM
john cobb (of cobb saddles) talks about how narrower saddles let your legs+hips move more freely and naturally. so far on his saddles, i'd agree.

Germany_chris
07-19-2011, 05:10 PM
I have a b17 normal..so I guess I have a big 4th point of contact...but no I went from and old style flite to the Brooks with no pain and it's been a couple years.

Bodid
07-19-2011, 10:52 PM
I can't ride on anything wider than 130, and preferably 128. I've got very narrow hips plus I'm bow legged which doesn't help.

Bo

scottyjames
07-20-2011, 11:43 AM
I had pain in my right hip with a newish Specialized Phenom 143 earlier this season -- really uncomfortable. Not up in front, but the hip socket itself, where it makes contact with the saddle. I realized I was pushing myself back a lot while riding to keep my sitbones on the sweet spot of the saddle, so I slid the saddle forward a little. Voila. Now that it's positioned beneath me better, no hip weirdness at all. I'm not convinced it's the saddle for me -- I like the Alias that I have on another bike much better -- but at least I don't get the effect of a blowtorch being held to my hip joint when I ride.