PDA

View Full Version : Campy brake installation problema!

boulder_courier
07-02-2005, 01:54 PM
I'm building up my new Legend w/ Campy Record 10. I have a Serotta F3 fork and the Campy socket-head nut will not fit into the fork hole. I tried to fit the same nut through a 14 y/o aluminum fork to no avail. The rear brake was installed with no problems.

Is this the fork not being machined to the right diameter?

Jim

dave thompson
07-02-2005, 02:08 PM
I'm building up my new Legend w/ Campy Record 10. I have a Serotta F3 fork and the Campy socket-head nut will not fit into the fork hole. I tried to fit the same nut through a 14 y/o aluminum fork to no avail. The rear brake was installed with no problems.

Is this the fork not being machined to the right diameter?

Jim
If the brake nut doesn't fit either fork, perhaps the nut is too large.

Often the clearcoat on carbon fork gets into the brake nut hole and cleaning/reaming it out will allow the nut to be inserted to the correct depth.

Dave
07-02-2005, 02:16 PM
You could always check to be sure tht the nut is the same diameter as the rear. The nut should be very close to 5/16" (.3125") or 8mm (.315").

Look carefully at the hole in the fork, sometiimes some paint or epoxy build-up reduces the hole diameter, right at the front. Might take some deburring or enlarging with a round file. I you get a file of the the right diameter, it may be possible to insert it until it bind a bit and use a twisting motion to deburr the offending area. Another option is to run a 5/16" drill through the hole.

Jeff N.
07-02-2005, 02:35 PM
Don't F-3 (Reynolds) forks come with their own nuts? Jeff N.

boulder_courier
07-03-2005, 06:09 PM
F3 forks (and all Reynolds forks) come with their own socket-head nut-I went to the LBS and it was sitting on the mechanic's work bench....i.e. the mechanic who installed my fork. ;)

Jim

Johny
07-03-2005, 07:30 PM
F3 forks (and all Reynolds forks) come with their own socket-head nut-I went to the LBS and it was sitting on the mechanic's work bench....

Jim

Exactly. The campy nuts would not work anyway. They are too short for the F3 or any carbon fork likewise.

Grant McLean
07-03-2005, 08:59 PM
F3 forks (and all Reynolds forks) come with their own socket-head nut-I went to the LBS and it was sitting on the mechanic's work bench....

Jim

Hey Jim, good thing that LBS employee is a mechanic, and not a brain surgeon....

I'm not a mechanic anymore, but I used to play one on tv

Grant

boulder_courier
07-03-2005, 11:11 PM
Grant,
I do recall I heard this mechanic say he had just applied to medical school...no, all kidding aside, this mechanic is a nice guy and a good mechanic. He was just swamped with work that day and forgot about the socket nut.

Jim