PDA

View Full Version : OT, Craigslist buyer's offer--skam??

BlackTiBob
07-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Hi,
I received this offer for item I put on CL. If I cash his check before item goes, does this seem ok?? Or is this the scam where check is fake but bank temp puts in my acct, and then requires me to pay it back at a later time?

Thanks for comments from those that know. Seems fishy....

"Hi,
Thanks for the quick respond, am really interested buying the item and I want you to consider it sold to me, please do withdraw the advert from CL
to avoid disturbance, anyway I don't have time to come over to take a
look because of my business but you don't need to bother yourself with the its condition
and with the shipment, I'll take care of that by engaging the services of a
mover, hence I'll be sending a certified check payment and it will be delivered
to you via UPS, so I'll need you to provide me with the following information
to facilitate the mailing of the check.

1.full name on the check.
2.Full Physical address to post the check
3.City, State and Zip Code
4.Home & Cell Phone to contact you.

Note that the payment will be shipped to your address via UPS or FEDEX
NEXT DAY SERVICE and I will like you to know that you will not be
responsible for shipping i will have my mover to come over as soon as
you have cashed the check."

Aaron O
07-19-2011, 08:38 AM
Scam - for sure.

bigflax925
07-19-2011, 08:38 AM
SCAM. I don't walk away - run!

Chris
07-19-2011, 08:39 AM
It's a scam. I get those all the time on craig's list.

cat6
07-19-2011, 08:41 AM
Scam for sure!

Aaron O
07-19-2011, 08:47 AM
If an email is generic and doesn't mention the item or ask specific questions, it's likely a scam. If they're using non-American idiom English, it's likely a scam (notice "advert" - definite scam indication). If they don't mention paypal for payments, it's likely a scam.

I ALWAYS include my phone number when after a CL market in a different market and I always talk about why I like their specific thing and why I'm contacting from far away. I think it's quite easy to spot genuine CL emails from the scams...especially since many of the scams use key words and have a sameness about them.

veloduffer
07-19-2011, 09:00 AM
It's a scam. I get those when I advertise on CL, most recently for a golf push cart that I was selling.

Richard
07-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Ask them to overnight the cash, then give it to the movers.

RAAM14
07-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Jesus, anybody with a list of demands that long is full of ???? for sure. Best way to out a scammer idiot like that (if you're still not sure) is to ask for their contact info which you will never get 'cause it leaves a trail. Expect CL to be rife with scammers...did I say Craigslist?, I meant LowballersLIST.org

phcollard
07-19-2011, 11:23 AM
Typical scam message.

AngryScientist
07-19-2011, 11:30 AM
scam.

have you ever wanted to buy something and referred to it as "the item"?

biker72
07-19-2011, 11:32 AM
The only thing missing is reference to a Nigerian prince. :D

norcalbiker
07-19-2011, 11:54 AM
Does seller still fall for this $H!T?

I can't believe that scammers still use this route. I thought this technic of scamming people are older than the bible.

noahgenda
07-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Advert!

vqdriver
07-19-2011, 12:03 PM
that's a scam for sure. but i'm curious what the mechanism of their scam is. anyone can get your name and address by a variety of means.

sbparker31
07-19-2011, 03:57 PM
that's a scam for sure. but i'm curious what the mechanism of their scam is. anyone can get your name and address by a variety of means.

Here's how it works. Scammers can and do give out bogus cashier's checks/money orders. There is no way to verify their authenticity. Your bank will take them and deposit to your account. However, 3 or so days later your bank will discover that the check was bogus when it attempts to make good on it, and your bank will rightly reverse the deposit to your account. In the meantime, the movers have come and taken your "item" away.

The only safe method of payment now days is cash (or a personal check from a Serotta forum member :beer: ). Even cash is iffy because counterfeiting is so good now. I sold a motorcycle recently, and when I posted on Craigslist, I got several very similar "offers". I ended up selling to a local dealer. Although the price I got was lower than I would have liked, at least I knew the check was good.

Germany_chris
07-19-2011, 06:23 PM
OK, I am barely literate, between spell check, auto correct, and killing a few million brain cells with intoxicating substances. This man is less literate than I am...

SCAM

ultraman6970
07-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Pretty easy to print a check and go to your place to pay you with it :P Obviously is scam or do you know of some CL seller taking checks for the stuff? I wouldnt :)

Walter
07-19-2011, 08:00 PM
Here's how it works. Scammers can and do give out bogus cashier's checks/money orders. There is no way to verify their authenticity. Your bank will take them and deposit to your account. However, 3 or so days later your bank will discover that the check was bogus when it attempts to make good on it, and your bank will rightly reverse the deposit to your account. In the meantime, the movers have come and taken your "item" away.

The only safe method of payment now days is cash (or a personal check from a Serotta forum member :beer: ). Even cash is iffy because counterfeiting is so good now. I sold a motorcycle recently, and when I posted on Craigslist, I got several very similar "offers". I ended up selling to a local dealer. Although the price I got was lower than I would have liked, at least I knew the check was good.

I have not seen the scam where the offshore guys come and get the item. The check will usually be for more money than the purchase price and the buyer requests that the difference be sent to the movers or refunded to the buyer by Western Union.

I have always had the bank verify the check immediately. They can do so by simply calling the issuing bank. Sometimes the fake is not good enough and an astute bank security officer can spot it.

Pete Serotta
07-19-2011, 08:38 PM
This does not stop bad deal here but it somewhat limits new low count IDs in the classified - some of which can be risky :confused: :confused:

learningtoride
07-20-2011, 12:33 AM
The only thing missing is reference to a Nigerian prince. :D

LOL! I read this and IMMEDIATELY thought... nigerians! :p