PDA

View Full Version : Westport NY, to Lake Placid

swt
07-19-2011, 07:04 AM
I know there are a bunch of people from Upstate NY around here, so I thought I'd ask opinions. I'm going to be staying in Westport NY for a few days next week, and I want to take one or two rides. Heading right up 9N and 73 to Lake Placid seemed like an obvious choice.
Are there any other rides that I might try instead? I'm afraid I might end up with only one day, so I want to take advantage of my time. Thanks.

CNY rider
07-19-2011, 07:15 AM
Busy road, with high speed traffic and narrow in places.
Would be much more peaceful riding down in the Champlain Valley.

swt
07-19-2011, 09:29 AM
Thanks! Would you head N or S from Westport?

Steevo
07-19-2011, 10:53 AM
I don't know much about S from Westport, but the Lk Champlain Islands to the north offer exceptional riding on relatively quiet and incredibly scenic roads. The ferry from Plattsburgh will get you out to the islands and you can take it from there.

swt
07-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks a lot.

GregL
07-19-2011, 12:39 PM
About 13 years ago, my wife and I spent a few days cyclo-touring in the Champlain area. Lakeshore Road just north of Westport was a very good ride with little traffic during the mid-week. We took Lakeshore Road north to Essex, then Rt. 22 north to Keeseville. Both roads had some nice climbs and pretty views. From Keeseville, you could take 9N south to Jay followed by 86 west to Lake Placid. Enjoy the riding, the 'dacks are beautiful this time of year!

-Greg

Tom
07-19-2011, 01:13 PM
9N through Elizabethtown, over Hurricane Mt. to 73 in Keene Valley, stay on 9N to 86, to Jay, up 86 to Placid, down 73 through Keene Valley to Rte 9, turn left on 74 and go to Ticonderoga, go back north on 9N/22 to Westport.

One loop of the ADK 540. 135 miles, three stop lights, four or five stop signs. About 15 cemeteries. Strange what you notice.

djg21
07-19-2011, 01:18 PM
9N through Elizabethtown, over Hurricane Mt. to 73 in Keene Valley, stay on 9N to 86, to Jay, up 86 to Placid, down 73 through Keene Valley to Rte 9, turn left on 74 and go to Ticonderoga, go back north on 9N/22 to Westport.

One loop of the ADK 540. 135 miles, three stop lights, four or five stop signs. About 15 cemeteries. Strange what you notice.

There is a lot of good riding around Essex, Willsboro, Reber and Elizabethtown. Get a map and explore.

The ride to Placid is fine, but you are on fairly major roads (with shoulders).

swt
07-19-2011, 06:13 PM
Thanks all.

oldmill
07-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Ride up to Essex and take the ferry across to Charlotte, VT. Excellent riding over there. I recommend going South from Charlotte, though it's definitely worth riding up to Shelburne Farms on the back roads as well.

BumbleBeeDave
07-19-2011, 10:16 PM
. . . is farther south in the 'Dacks. Schroon Lake, North Creek, etc. I haven't been on 73 in probably ten years but it was super busy all the time back then and it sounds like from what others are saying that has not changed. It's the major east-west link between Placid-Saranac area and I-87, so it's always going to be busy.

South along the west shore of Champlain to Crown Point and Fort Ti is almost dead flat, though 22 can be pretty busy at times. 74 from Ti over to Severance is absolutely beautiful, though definitely not flat. If you want around that Schroon, North creek area, PM me and I can put something together for you. Lots of totally deserted roads.

BBD

dhoff
07-19-2011, 10:28 PM
I suggest going on line and looking up the Adirondack 540 race. Print out the route. It is a beautiful ride, without too much traffic right in your area. Most of the roads are in good shape and it will make you work!!! One full lap is 136 miles and 8000 ft of climbing.