PDA

View Full Version : Why doping is good for Pro Cycling..

Spin71
07-18-2011, 10:26 AM
Without it you get boring, non attacking, super human stages in the mountains. Boring.......At least we get to see what AC looks like clean. Just another decent climber.

keevon
07-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Give it a rest.

bicycletricycle
07-18-2011, 10:32 AM
ha ha ha ha ha

Dave B
07-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Maybe, but if the tour ended today I would say it has been a huge success.

The stages so far have been a blast, new folks killing it and new talent shinning. Yeah the big guns checking each other lacks something, but they are still killing others at the front.

I have truly enjoyed the first part of the tour and I can't say I have in years past. Exciting from day one!

firerescuefin
07-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Thor being able to hang with guys that aren't doped to the gills.....not boring

Gilbert being able to demonstrate how good of an all around rider he is....not boring

Voeckler....no explanation needed....not boring

The belief that the sport is actually getting cleaner and believable....exciting

avalonracing
07-18-2011, 11:51 AM

Gilbert being able to demonstrate how good of an all around rider he is....not boring

The belief that the sport is actually getting cleaner and believable....exciting

Agreed.
Of course we still have one week to go. Who knows what waits in terms of super-human strength.

TAW
07-18-2011, 11:52 AM

100% agree. If cheating is exciting, count me out.

norcalbiker
07-18-2011, 12:06 PM
I am enjoying the mountain so far. Can't wait till they climb the Alps.

davidlee
07-18-2011, 12:13 PM
I think its been awesome and makes it so much more " fair?" for the smaller riders that didn't get the white lunch bags bc they were not worthy..

I'm curious, once again speculation on my part, how much of the non-attacking and lower speeds are from the psychological damage of not being doped to the gills, therefore not THINKING that they are gonna be fast?
Does that make any sense?
d

ahumblecycler
07-18-2011, 12:39 PM
:eek:

jbrainin
07-18-2011, 02:04 PM
They're all still doped to the gills. AC is probably doped a little less to ensure that there's no more positive tests. I think this years race is much like the 1996 TdF when Indurain finally looked mortal and everyone else was pushing 50+ hematocrit.

witcombusa
07-18-2011, 02:18 PM
They're all still doped to the gills. AC is probably doped a little less to ensure that there's no more positive tests. I think this years race is much like the 1996 TdF when Indurain finally looked mortal and everyone else was pushing 50+ hematocrit.

No question about it. I'm amazed that some folks here think it all just went away :confused:

false_Aest
07-18-2011, 02:29 PM
threads like this remind me to go ride my bike.

firerescuefin
07-18-2011, 03:38 PM
No question about it. I'm amazed that some folks here think it all just went away :confused:

No one thinks it went "all away" but unlike the eternal pessimists and naysayers, I believe we are getting closer.

Ray
07-18-2011, 04:03 PM
No one thinks it went "all away" but unlike the eternal pessimists and naysayers, I believe we are getting closer.
Based on what? Relatively few positive tests? Remember Puerto? I always assume the dopers are at least two steps ahead of the regulators and don't see ANY reason to assume differently now.

-Ray

Spin71
07-18-2011, 04:21 PM

It hasn't gone away. It's just on hold.

firerescuefin
Based on what? Relatively few positive tests? Remember Puerto? I always assume the dopers are at least two steps ahead of the regulators and don't see ANY reason to assume differently now.

-Ray

Ray...see my first post in this thread. I find heroes believeable....superheros (Pantani, Lance, Basso-in the Giro in 06) not so much. This tour seems believable to me. No, I don't have any objective data. I am not pouring over blood values. I have 2 aquaintances/1 good friend that are in the Pro Tour (sports physiologists), They find it more believable.

Spin71
threads like this remind me to go ride my bike.

Sucks if you need lame threads to remind you.

firerescuefin
07-18-2011, 04:23 PM
It hasn't gone away. It's just on hold.

If it makes business sense for the sport to be clean(er), then you will see them push back even harder.

Because there is money and prestige involved, there will always be a percentage willing to risk it all.

Unlike you, I am not longing for the day when we have the open category where it's "run what ya brung".

Spin71
07-18-2011, 04:38 PM
If it makes business sense for the sport to be clean(er), then you will see them push back even harder.

Because there is money and prestige involved, there will always be a percentage willing to risk it all.

Unlike you, I am not longing for the day when we have the open category where it's "run what ya brung".

What I'm longing for is someone (in contention) to attack. If they are all clean, the actually strongest/best will put a hurt on a stage and on their competition. They can't all be equal, even when clean. This is racing on the biggest stage, not a chess match.

firerescuefin
07-18-2011, 04:48 PM
What I'm longing for is someone (in contention) to attack. If they are all clean, the actually strongest/best will put a hurt on a stage and on their competition. They can't all be equal, even when clean. This is racing on the biggest stage, not a chess match.

I honestly don't expect Cadel to attack. He is well placed, can do a good TT and if he blows trying to land a knockout punch, he could lose his advantage quickly. If I were him I would ride pretty much like he is doing....unless he just feels like he's got it on a stage....and the others don't.

AC needs to get some time back, and if he is able, I think he will. It will be interesting to see if he gets better or is just tired.

Basso is still a great rider, but I don't believe he is capable of riding the podium off his wheel.

Voeckler is at his limit.

Sanchez will grant you your wish and continue to attack.

A. Schleck will attack when it's too late and will look back on this tour as an opportunity lost. The game he and his brother played on the last stage was weak. No way he beats Cadel in the TT, and if AC gains some time back, I would not count on AC having a poor TT as he did last year.

That being said. I don't long for a guy running a big block in the small block class to ride off the front. What does that prove?

palincss
07-18-2011, 04:53 PM

Closer to what, exactly?

Fixed
07-18-2011, 06:34 PM
no floyd rides this year
cheers

ahumblecycler
07-18-2011, 07:14 PM
Nevermind.

Elefantino
07-18-2011, 08:48 PM
What happens to all the leftover dope and where can I get some?

I hate to think all that Amgen research is going to waste.

Spin71
07-18-2011, 08:48 PM
If you want to diss the TdF for any and all dopers, I suggest you don't watch it ... PERIOD!

Make a choice and make a stand, but do NOT act on something and blame others how miserable it is ... :no:

Cleaner, maybe. Dirtier, maybe. Do I care, not really. Athletes are expected to perform at super-human levels, what do you expect is the result ... SERIOUSLY!

I need a translator for this jibberish...

FlashUNC
07-18-2011, 09:58 PM
Yes, doping is always better for the Tour, explains that monument on Mont Ventoux:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtAyGvZqiwk

Lifelover
07-18-2011, 10:10 PM
Sports need an Alpha. AC is dominant but doesn't have the jewels to be Alpha.

One will come along soon enough and we won't care how or why.

Rome is the Mob.

Germany_chris
07-19-2011, 02:08 AM
And cycling has never nor will ever be clean..but as we all know I'm no eternal optimist.

rockdude
07-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Some sports are much more exciting when the athletes are doping. Have you ever seen a body building competition without PEDs? pretty boring. Kinda like watching midget basketball. I think UCI understands this.