PDA

View Full Version : Schlecks...

oldguy00
07-18-2011, 08:01 AM
Whining as usual. Didn't like it last year, and same this year. All they do is complain about how the race isn't fair for them.
Last year, Andy was saved multiple times by Cancellara neutralizing the race when Andy was in trouble, but he blames his loss on Contador not waiting for his dropped chain. Oh, he also forgets to reference his horrible performance in the prologue which really lost him the race IMHO.

I wonder why Andy and Frank didn't wait for Contador this year when he crashed? Why didn't Cancellara neutralize the race?

Now this year, Frank is upset that other teams aren't trying to attack. Duh. Maybe its because they know you and your bro suck in the TT, eh Frank?
They want everyone to gift them the TDF...

ATB24
07-18-2011, 08:36 AM
I agree, the whole chain thing is dumb imo, in no other form of racing do you see someone waiting up, if you mis-shift in Formula1, too bad for you, you slip in a marathon, oh well. Contador was responding to Andy's attack, if you are going to attack, expect consequences if you don't do it right

phcollard
07-18-2011, 08:49 AM
Agreed as well. Not matter what happened last year. Look at them now, no panache at all. We were all expecting at least a little something in the Pyrénées but all they did was watch at each other like scared little chicken (sorry). They were I think in good shape though so they could have attacked and win on Contador and Evans so what's up the bros? I'm really looking forward to the Alps because they must have a little surprise for us don't they?

dnades
07-18-2011, 08:50 AM
antsy-pantsy describes the Schleck brothers for me. This dilly dallying around to see who is going to commit first is such a killer. It may be strategy and all but it sure makes for poor viewing. Hopefully they'll stop playing it safe and go for it in the Alps and liven up the race a bit within the 'race leaders' area. I'd love to see Cadel and Contador work together to CRUSH the Schlecks. I think its the only way to keep one of them off the podium (although I really like some of the guys on the Schleck team). The Alps should make for some good viewing if no one crashes out and someone actually goes for it.

Ray
07-18-2011, 09:07 AM
antsy-pantsy describes the Schleck brothers for me. This dilly dallying around to see who is going to commit first is such a killer. It may be strategy and all but it sure makes for poor viewing. Hopefully they'll stop playing it safe and go for it in the Alps and liven up the race a bit within the 'race leaders' area. I'd love to see Cadel and Contador work together to CRUSH the Schlecks. I think its the only way to keep one of them off the podium (although I really like some of the guys on the Schleck team). The Alps should make for some good viewing if no one crashes out and someone actually goes for it.
I don't think Cadel could crush the Schlecks or help Contador do it. If Cadel wins, its because he'll continue to cover in the mountains and then take enough time in the TT. A legit way to win, but kind of boring compared to a brutal attack in the mountains. But Cadel doesn't have a brutal attack in the mountains. Its to his credit that he counters as many of them as he does.

If Contador was really on top form, he could crush the Schlecks in the mountains and wouldn't need or benefit from Cadel's help - and he'd need plenty of time on Cadel too, so he'd have to crush everyone at this point. But he clearly isn't on top form, so he's trying to scratch out a Cadel-style race, but he's got too much of a deficit to pull it off. So if he somehow regains top form in the Alps, he can still win and he'll have to crush the Schlecks (and Cadel) to do it. But I don't think he can ride the Tour as well as rode the Giro this year in the same year. Next year I'd love to see him skip the Giro, focus on the Tour again, and see if anyone can hang with him...

-Ray

firerescuefin
07-18-2011, 09:22 AM
+1...that saved me a lot of typing.

I don't think Cadel could crush the Schlecks or help Contador do it. If Cadel wins, its because he'll continue to cover in the mountains and then take enough time in the TT. A legit way to win, but kind of boring compared to a brutal attack in the mountains. But Cadel doesn't have a brutal attack in the mountains. Its to his credit that he counters as many of them as he does.

If Contador was really on top form, he could crush the Schlecks in the mountains and wouldn't need or benefit from Cadel's help - and he'd need plenty of time on Cadel too, so he'd have to crush everyone at this point. But he clearly isn't on top form, so he's trying to scratch out a Cadel-style race, but he's got too much of a deficit to pull it off. So if he somehow regains top form in the Alps, he can still win and he'll have to crush the Schlecks (and Cadel) to do it. But I don't think he can ride the Tour as well as rode the Giro this year in the same year. Next year I'd love to see him skip the Giro, focus on the Tour again, and see if anyone can hang with him...

-Ray

MerckxMad
07-18-2011, 09:36 AM
Is it me, or is this one boring TdF? I'd love to see Tommy V. steal the race from the Schlecks, et al. 5 hours of the same group marking each other until the final kilometer of the stage when one of the Schlecks tries to grab a few seconds from Contador or Evans. Feh.

bikerboy337
07-18-2011, 09:41 AM
these mountain stages have been boring beyond belief... no one has taken any time... was really looking for a few attacks... you cant tell me that in that whole group (basso, schlecks, evans, contador), not one of them could lay down an attack and hold it?

oldguy00
07-18-2011, 09:44 AM
Is it me, or is this one boring TdF? I'd love to see Tommy V. steal the race from the Schlecks, et al. 5 hours of the same group marking each other until the final kilometer of the stage when one of the Schlecks tries to grab a few seconds from Contador or Evans. Feh.

Lol, I said the same thing this past weekend at our club ride, and everyone looked at me like I was crazy! :) I think a lot of people find the drama from the crashes makes for an exciting race. That stuff is interesting, but yeah, the actual 'racing' hasn't been the most exciting.

I'd love to see Thomas V. hold the yellow to Paris due to all the others just marking each other.

Elefantino
07-18-2011, 09:50 AM
these mountain stages have been boring beyond belief... no one has taken any time... was really looking for a few attacks... you cant tell me that in that whole group (basso, schlecks, evans, contador), not one of them could lay down an attack and hold it?
+1

This saved ME a lot of typing.

m.skeen
07-18-2011, 09:52 AM

+1 million

I was very disappointed in the racing this past weekend. I too would love to see Voeckler stay in yellow.

chromopromo
07-18-2011, 10:05 AM
If Contador was really on top form, he could crush the Schlecks in the mountains and wouldn't need or benefit from Cadel's help
-Ray

Contador didn't crush Andy in the mountains last year when he was in top form. They were about even and both provided for some great racing. This year not so much. I hope something happens in the Alps. My guess is Contador will attack and Andy will hang on and Cadel will loose a lot of time.

bobswire
07-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Déjà vu 2008 with all the GC contenders marking one another while Sastre steals the Yellow.
I really try to root for the Schlecks but time and again they leave me wanting.
This tour is liable to make LA want to have another go at it.

Go Voeckler !

1centaur
07-18-2011, 10:10 AM
I think the key question is whether Andy's #1 goal is winning the Tour this year or getting on the podium with Frank. He races like it's the latter. If Frank crashed, we might see a different Andy, as we did last year.

It would be funny if Cadel is on the top step in Paris and credits brotherly love for his victory. He should actually adjust his tactics to try to make sure neither brother is dropped.

Ray
07-18-2011, 10:12 AM
Contador didn't crush Andy in the mountains last year when he was in top form.
I don't think he was in top form last year. He said he wasn't and he didn't ever look like he was. He was in good enough form, barely. He was in top form in 2009 when everyone, including his own team, was riding against him and he rode away from all of 'em. He was in top form in the Giro this year - overwhelmingly so. Hard to say he wasn't in top form and still won the Tour last year, but I think that was the case.

-Ray

bheight1
07-18-2011, 10:22 AM
You would think having the two of them in all the final selections, it would be attack-counter, but outside of first mountain stage when it worked for Frank they haven't been able to take advantage. I wouldn't cut Contador any slack--one great day in Alps, different mt profile, and the race could be closer/exciting.

If they continue w/o attacks, Cadel looks golden--but as OP stated his style is boring Sick of him reminding the interviewer he's finished 2nd twice--who cares, no one remembers 2nd place, first loser. Attack and win the race with style.

Watching Thomas V fight has been and will be pretty exciting this week.

Call me skeptic, but usually today the 2nd race day is when the team buses get lost on some isolation training road away from media and "tainted" meat is served at dining table--maybe it will make for a more interesting last week?

CNY rider
07-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Il Pirata

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2f/Marco-pantani-1216669690.jpg/798px-Marco-pantani-1216669690.jpg

William
07-18-2011, 10:32 AM
You would think having the two of them in all the final selections, it would be attack-counter, but outside of first mountain stage when it worked for Frank they haven't been able to take advantage. I wouldn't cut Contador any slack--one great day in Alps, different mt profile, and the race could be closer/exciting.

If they continue w/o attacks, Cadel looks golden--but as OP stated his style is boring Sick of him reminding the interviewer he's finished 2nd twice--who cares, no one remembers 2nd place, first loser. Attack and win the race with style.

Watching Thomas V fight has been and will be pretty exciting this week.

Call me skeptic, but usually today the 2nd race day is when the team buses get lost on some isolation training road away from media and "tainted" meat is served at dining table--maybe it will make for a more interesting last week?

As an aside, seeing the camera pan across this flag...

http://images.travelpod.com/users/peterebecca/1.1216236240.spainish-flag-with-bull.jpg

on the race route as the riders went by (accept it had Contador in white letter across the steer) made me laugh out loud. It also made me wonder if maybe tighter controls are having an effect on the race. So far there doesn't appear to be any "super human" efforts or repeated efforts happening...at least not yet.

William

PS: Well, except for Hoogerland. BTW, HTFU has been officially changed to: Hoogerland The Eff Up!!! ;)

67-59
07-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Contador didn't crush Andy in the mountains last year when he was in top form. They were about even and both provided for some great racing. This year not so much. I hope something happens in the Alps. My guess is Contador will attack and Andy will hang on and Cadel will loose a lot of time.

Contador didn't need to crush Andy in the mountains last year. Don't think he necesarily needs to crush him this year either, as I think he can make up the gap to Andy and Frank in the final TT. I think it's Cadel and Voeckler that have Contador worried.

Pretty unimpressed with the Schleck's performance in the high mountains. They are the ones with the most to lose if they don't gain some time, they had by far the deepest team on the final climbs, they have had no major mishaps...and yet they hardly picked up anything in some really tough stages in the Pyrenees. If the Alps are the same, they'll be looking at Cadel, Voeckler and Contador on the podium, with maybe Basso if one of those guys slips up.

FlashUNC
07-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Or....maybe they're just waiting for the Alps?

It isn't as if this year's Tour was going to be won in the Pyrenees.

scottyjames
07-18-2011, 10:54 AM
On our rides it's become "show some Hoogs"

jpw
07-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Cancellara is wasted on the Schlecks. It's embarrassing to watch a truly great rider demeaning himself to mule for an overrated twit like AS.

scottyjames
07-18-2011, 12:33 PM
All will be revealed in the Alps. I hope...

67-59
07-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Or....maybe they're just waiting for the Alps?

It isn't as if this year's Tour was going to be won in the Pyrenees.

I'd believe that if they used the same strategy in the Pyrenees as Cadel, Contador, Basso, et al -- just hanging with the group. But they used their support guys to drive the pace and isolate the other contenders, and then attempted multiple attacks on the last climb of both mountain finishes. Sure didn't look like "just waiting" to me.

Guess we'll know soon....

flydhest
07-18-2011, 12:55 PM
Cancellara is wasted on the Schlecks. It's embarrassing to watch a truly great rider demeaning himself to mule for an overrated twit like AS.

Yeah, he was barely on the podium last year. Just barely, two more places down and he wouldn't have been standing next to Contador.

bozman
07-18-2011, 01:05 PM
Déjà vu 2008 with all the GC contenders marking one another while Sastre steals the Yellow.
I really try to root for the Schlecks but time and again they leave me wanting.
This tour is liable to make LA want to have another go at it.

Go Voeckler !

+1
I can't stand the Schlecks, whiny pricks. I can't stand Cantador, either. Vive la Voeckler!

pbel
07-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Il Pirata
Great memories.
1998 Stage 15. Galibier, on his way toward taking 9 minutes and the yellow from Ullrich.
http://cdn0.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/photos/2009/features/marco_pantani_feb09/PantaniGalibierSnow98_PhSpt_600.jpg

bzbvh5
07-18-2011, 01:15 PM
No one is obligated to wait for a wreck. I really can see someone like Eddy Merckx waiting. Contador didn't wait when Andy lost his chan last year. The Leopard Trek with the Schlecks rode off when Cantador got caught behind an accident this year. They're even.

Oh yea, Vive la Voeckler.

binxnyrwarrsoul
07-18-2011, 01:26 PM
PLUS 1 million!!!!!Il Pirata

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2f/Marco-pantani-1216669690.jpg/798px-Marco-pantani-1216669690.jpg

binxnyrwarrsoul
07-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Hell Yeah!! Doped to the balls, but I wasn't falling asleep watching. Great memories.
1998 Stage 15. Galibier, on his way toward taking 9 minutes and the yellow from Ullrich.
http://cdn0.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/photos/2009/features/marco_pantani_feb09/PantaniGalibierSnow98_PhSpt_600.jpg

jpw
07-18-2011, 01:32 PM
Yeah, he was barely on the podium last year. Just barely, two more places down and he wouldn't have been standing next to Contador.

Standing next to Alberto but holding the hands of his father and his brother. A little boy should be at home suckling his mother's milk before bed time at that late hour of the day.

flydhest
07-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Standing next to Alberto but holding the hands of his father and his brother. A little boy should be at home suckling his mother's milk before bed time at that late hour of the day.

But instead, he took second place in a grand tour. Yeah, that's little boy stuff. Something so many of us here have been able to do.

Really? Taking second in the Tour is anything less than an amazing accomplishment for a professional cyclist?

jpw
07-18-2011, 01:45 PM
When his brother retires and his father stays at home and he wins a big race alone.....until that happens he's just a whiny little boy with a team tax haven advantage.

flydhest
07-18-2011, 01:55 PM
No one wins the Tour alone.

BigDaddySmooth
07-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Don't all the top cyclists whine and/or toot their own horn to some degree? I like AS style and I think the Tour is pretty interesting and competitive...very refreshing. TV is a big surprise and when he blows, he'll do it in such a fashion as to make Zulle proud. Cadel has been a surprise too but I think he'll crack on Le Alpe. I doubt AC can put 2 minutes into both the Schrecks in the TT so he'll have to make something happen too. Basso may sneak on the podium right behind the Schrecks. BTW, how can you not like a German team named after a tank?

1centaur
07-18-2011, 02:40 PM
AC's contribution to this thread, via CyclingNews:

"“Every day that passes, people wonder which card the Schleck brothers will play,” Contador added. “If they wait for Paris, it’ll be too late. They know which one is the strongest. One has to sacrifice himself for the other one.”"

Straz
07-18-2011, 03:12 PM
I sat down Saturday morning, turned on the Versus coverage and was expecting to be entertained with contenders attacking the slopes of the snaggle-toothed course profile. Instead I watched a couple guys tease each other on the final climb and no one except Vanendert and Sanchez animate the race.

Was much more inspired and impressed with Thor's move on Friday to secure the win and I imagine a lucrative contract for next season. The pre-race contenders haven't impressed me in this tour. Hats off to Voeckler for his fine efforts.

Tim

oldguy00
07-18-2011, 03:26 PM

Was much more inspired and impressed with Thor's move on Friday to secure the win and I imagine a lucrative contract for next season. The pre-race contenders haven't impressed me in this tour. Hats off to Voeckler for his fine efforts.

Tim

Agreed. Thor is having a great tdf.

ultraman6970
07-18-2011, 03:31 PM
This nails it pretty good, they want to do the 1-2 at paris and that's impossible. Or is one or the other one. The problem is that everybody else can win if they don't do something soon.

Everybody is around 2 minutes of AS, thats nothing and in the ITT they can get 3 or 4 minutes back from him. It's a waste for all of the other top 5 to do something specially if they arent climbers (evans and TV). Schlecks have to go to the offensive yes or yes now, or it will be too late. The issue is that the punch back from the other contenders will hurt a lot.

I even see TV punching them back only just because is his nature, Vino was here he would have punching them again and again...

The Schlecks strategy is back firing big time. Said it a few days ago.

AC's contribution to this thread, via CyclingNews:

"“Every day that passes, people wonder which card the Schleck brothers will play,” Contador added. “If they wait for Paris, it’ll be too late. They know which one is the strongest. One has to sacrifice himself for the other one.”"

chromopromo
07-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Orignial Quote: "Contador didn't need to crush Andy in the mountains last year. Don't think he necesarily needs to crush him this year either, as I think he can make up the gap to Andy and Frank in the final TT. I think it's Cadel and Voeckler that have Contador worried."

Contador needs to make up time somewhere. I think he gained something like 35 seconds on Andy in the TT last year. This years TT stage is longer by 10K but he is 1:45 seconds behind Andy and a little more behind Cadel. If Contador gets his Giro groove back, will see if Andy can hang on. I don't think Cadel can or Voeckler -- although I would love to see Voeckler do it.

schneiderrd
07-18-2011, 05:10 PM
I think Contador is sandbagging letting the Schklecks do all the work. I think he will drop the hammer in the alps.

1centaur
07-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Andy agrees with Contador, as least as to method:

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/9104/Andy-Schleck-I-only-see-one-of-us-on-the-podium-but-in-yellow.aspx

Fixed
07-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Il Pirata

do they need high octane to make it exciting ?
cheers

T.J.
07-18-2011, 06:56 PM
When his brother retires and his father stays at home and he wins a big race alone.....until that happens he's just a whiny little boy with a team tax haven advantage.

Yeah! I can't wait to see Andy win the TTT all by himself :rolleyes:

T.J.
07-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Agreed. Thor is having a great tdf.

I think its awesome that Thor realized he was losing his ability as a straight up sprinter and shifted his training to be more well rounded.

chromopromo
07-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Schlecks crushed. I should have kept my mouth shut. Go Cadel.

ahumblecycler
07-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Frank still appears to be in the mix, but Andy will need quite a mountain stage to pull back 3 minutes (I do not have faith in his TT ability).

jbrainin
07-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Contador needs to make up time somewhere. I think he gained something like 35 seconds on Andy in the TT last year. This years TT stage is longer by 10K but he is 1:45 seconds behind Andy and a little more behind Cadel. If Contador gets his Giro groove back, will see if Andy can hang on. I don't think Cadel can or Voeckler -- although I would love to see Voeckler do it.

Regarding last year's time trial, Contador started after Andy and clearly eased up after being informed he'd done enough to win. I think he could regain the entire gap that existed at the start of today's stage in the TT. But in order to win, Contador needs time in the mountains on Evans since Cadel time trials as well as he does.

crownjewelwl
07-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Frank still appears to be in the mix, but Andy will need quite a mountain stage to pull back 3 minutes (I do not have faith in his TT ability).

but he has fire in his belly!

Gummee
07-19-2011, 11:05 AM
If TV can hang on, I think he may be in by the skin of his teeth. Worst case, he may not win, but should be somewhere around top 3-5.

Hats off to the plucky Frenchman!

M

schneiderrd
07-19-2011, 11:53 AM
I told ya Contador was sandbagging!

bikerboy337
07-19-2011, 12:25 PM
Finally a stage i'm excited to actually qwatch tonight... some attacks and time gained... i'm not contador fan, but hey, lets have some attacks and make this interesting... cadel seemed to be riding great today... he's looking good right now, we'll see how they all look after a few more mountain stages..

andy sounded cooked.... surprising, but we'll see... a lot of time can be made/lost later this week!

ahumblecycler
07-19-2011, 12:54 PM

I think he is playing it smart, in my opinion, because he is a team of one.

harlond
07-19-2011, 03:48 PM
I think he is playing it smart, in my opinion, because he is a team of one.We actually saw Anker Sorensen and Navarro up front today, so maybe AC has some help on the way.

firerescuefin
07-19-2011, 03:51 PM

No he wasn't sandbagging. Contador at full gas (on form) isn't struggling to drop/stay with Sanchez and Evans. Did you see his face today.

Taking nothing away from AC, because he rode with the heart of the Champion today. He has never sandbagged in the past, and I don't think he started at this tour.

aosty
07-19-2011, 04:32 PM
;)

:beer:

-Ray

johnnymossville
07-19-2011, 04:47 PM
I don't think Contador will be able to drop Cadel. He still has that attack in the climbs, but Cadel can reel him in. Cadel looks thinner and more fit than usual and the race is his if he doesn't have a terrible day here on in.

ultraman6970
07-19-2011, 06:23 PM
Tomorrow will be a nice stage, today the blues brothers cracked it big time. I said it days ago, their super plan is going to back fire and it did just today. I see cancelara telling them "I told you this was going to happen!!"

The brothers have no team for the next two stages, sure tomorrow the average speed will be high again to reduce the peloton, before arriving to the cat 1 climb I don't see more than the GC or the stronger guys to be in the main group.

Contador doesnt have team but 1 or 2 guys so he has to just wait and go to the offensive again, Sammy Sanchez the same situation. BMC will pull the peloton together with TV people. Massacre tomorrow again for sure. What could be funny is to see thor winning again a mountain stage :)

Tomorrow contador could take seconds off Cadel but I see that hard to happen, the guy is riding to good, unless contador does one of his tricks and go all alone. Cadel climbs but is not explosive, Basso the same.

Lets see

1happygirl
07-20-2011, 01:28 AM
Go Cuddles :beer:

hainy
07-20-2011, 04:54 AM
Being an Aussie I am obviously bias towards cadel but this is huge here as we have never won the tour and cadel so far has ridden a very smart race. In any sport you need to know your strengths and weaknesses and that of the opposition. He was a great mtn biker who took a long time to develop his road climbing and general road skills. More time in the saddle then his early days on the climbs. I am not sure what a lot of forumites expect him to do. Just try to blow away the best climbers on the planet and probably blow his own chances of winning the greatest bike race and I can't think of a more deserving winner given his past tour performances.

Cheers and happy cycling

Hainy

Climb01742
07-20-2011, 05:35 AM
i've found it hard to warm up to cadel's somewhat prickly personality but over the years he's certainly taken his knocks and paid his dues at the tour. he's riding exceptionally well this year. if he wins, i'll raise a beer to him and be happy for him. as the aussies say, good on ya, cadel. :beer:

Rueda Tropical
07-20-2011, 05:44 AM
I think he is playing it smart, in my opinion, because he is a team of one.

Maybe, The whole Saxo squad is intact and has been invisible the whole race. Navarro came alive today. Don't be surprised if the full Saxo squad suddenly appears at the front in some crucial stage where AC plans his coup d'grace.

flydhest
07-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Schlecks crushed. I should have kept my mouth shut. Go Cadel.

Any thoughts after today? It's not over, to be sure, and Cuddles is a tough SOB, that's sure. But "crushed"?

William
07-21-2011, 10:01 PM
Any thoughts after today? It's not over, to be sure, and Cuddles is a tough SOB, that's sure. But "crushed"?

Not crushed. if he can pull another good effort it's likely his Tour. I think Frank will try to go tomorrow to force things and try to blow them up again. AS and TV will hang on for dear life. AC and Sanchez? Unless they are wearing patches all over themselves tonight, it's hang on or get kicked out the back door.....

William

Wilkinson4
07-21-2011, 10:14 PM
After watching this and looking at the standings. I think Frank may rocket up and take 2 min out of CE. Evans may be +2 min down heading into the TT.

This is gonna be wild!

mIKE

chromopromo
07-21-2011, 10:34 PM

Yea - a bit of an overstatement. I was an Andy believer and was disappointed with the whining and the lost of time two stages ago. Today I am back on the Andy bandwagon. That was an incredible ride. True AC is not himself and Cadel may win but that was a balls out ride.