PDA

View Full Version : OT: Deadbeat bidders on eBay

rice rocket
07-18-2011, 01:24 AM
Most illogical people ever.

Honestly, why would you put a bid in if you don't intend to pay?! Or better yet, why would you lead me to believe you'd pay in 4 days time, and then not answer emails after then?

What's even worse is eBay has restructured the whole system in favor of buyers. :crap: There's no more negative feedback for buyers, so what incentive is there for them to be an upstanding citizen? And if there's ever an "issue" with the item, they'll always rule in favor of the buyer.

Okay, done ranting.

vqdriver
07-18-2011, 01:39 AM
I'd suspect they had another deal or bid in the works and they strung you along until that other deal came thru.

Sucks big hairy ass cuz its just rude. And unlike craigslist you actually pay listing fees. I'd be interested to know if eBay does anything and how they handle final value fees with nonpaying bidders.

Don49
07-18-2011, 02:08 AM
Yeah, it's a hassle but fortunately doesn't happen too often. There are several things you can do:

1) Add the deadbeat bidder to your list of "blocked bidders" so that individual won't be a problem for you again.

2) Be sure your Account Preferences => Buyer Requirements are set correctly to block bidders that you don't want. I block these bidders from my auctions:

Don't have a PayPal account
Have received 2 Unpaid Item strike(s) within 1 Month(s)
Have a primary shipping address in a location I don't ship to
Have 4 Policy Violation report(s) within 1 Month(s)
Have a feedback score of -1 or lower

3) Open an "Unpaid Item" case with eBay or set the "Unpaid Item Assistant" to just do it automatically in the future. You'll get your listing fee back, and the buyer gets an unpaid item strike which hurts them going forward. Then relist your item.

rice rocket
07-18-2011, 02:59 AM
Thanks for the tips! I just added some buyer requirements, and added the buyer to my block list.

I have a unpaid item case open, although it takes another 4 days on top of the 4 days before you can open the case (I waited a whole week). :(

thinpin
07-18-2011, 04:16 AM
These guys really ruin it for all of us. As an Aussie bidder I'm noticing more and more US ebayers with cont US shipping only. While there are convenience issues to this Im sure these rubbish bidders have something to do with it as well. As the US is a vast repository of goodies it can be very frustrating to see these restrictions on items you're keen on.

bikerboy337
07-18-2011, 07:59 AM
im finding ebay more and more annoying... i just sold some stems for 0.01 with $8.95 shipping... used the flat rate shipping for around $7 and two people complained that they paid more than it cost... i basically lost money on the transactions when all was said and done, just wanted to get rid of the stems... if you dont like the shipping charges, then dont bid on it... they were clearly stated in the auction...

Germany_chris
07-18-2011, 08:34 AM
im finding ebay more and more annoying... i just sold some stems for 0.01 with $8.95 shipping... used the flat rate shipping for around $7 and two people complained that they paid more than it cost... i basically lost money on the transactions when all was said and done, just wanted to get rid of the stems... if you dont like the shipping charges, then dont bid on it... they were clearly stated in the auction...

+1 ebay is not my friend anymore..

Aaron O
07-18-2011, 08:37 AM
These guys really ruin it for all of us. As an Aussie bidder I'm noticing more and more US ebayers with cont US shipping only. While there are convenience issues to this Im sure these rubbish bidders have something to do with it as well. As the US is a vast repository of goodies it can be very frustrating to see these restrictions on items you're keen on.

I've never had a problem with an international bidder. Shipping is tougher, but most of them are more polite than Americans when it comes to commerce.

merlinmurph
07-18-2011, 11:28 AM
Honestly, why would you put a bid in if you don't intend to pay?! Or better yet, why would you lead me to believe you'd pay in 4 days time, and then not answer emails after then?

One can actually do this??? Someone can actually submit a bid, win the auction, and then back out????

Wow. I guess I'm totally unschooled in eBay.

norcalbiker
07-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Nowadays Ebay SUCKS!!!

Saw an item for $12 with $35 shipping. HUH??? :crap:

19wisconsin64
07-18-2011, 08:32 PM
you need to check the box that requires immediate payment. i almost always sell things as a "buy it now", and you have this option with this method.

if you were stiffed by a non-paying buyer paypal will refund the listing fees, or relist for free.

i've been buying/selling stuff on ebay for over 12 years, never had one problem with an international buyer...and had only two problems with (not bad for 12 years) with crazy buyers here in the states. once i sold a c record pinarello, mint pristine condition for $1,100, and the guy (a special sort of wackadoo) threatened a lawsuit trying to back out of the deal. wow, $4,000 bike, and he wasn't happy. i refunded his money, lost a few hundred in shipping, and sold it to someone else for more money. lesson of this story, by and large most folks are very good to deal with, but every now and then you'll come across a low-balling cheapskate.

don't let the wackadoos get you down!! ride on!!

cheers