PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for building up old steel frame

bcm119
02-10-2004, 01:01 PM
To many of my friends’ horror, I’m selling a perfectly good Kona cross bike, which I use for wet commuting, in favor of building up an old Peugeot frame from the late 80’s that will fit me like a glove. The Kona just bores me to death. The Peugeot was my brother’s for many years, and it holds many fond memories. Its made of Reynolds 501, with a newer, early 90’s crowned 531 fork in chrome. I really like the frame and can’t wait to ride it, but I’m still not certain of what I’ll use it for. I was thinking of putting a triple on it and using it for light touring- it has rack mounts and space for at least 28c tires – but I’m a little worried about its flexibility under weight, although I haven’t tried it yet. Any suggestions for making this bike really interesting or useful, and can anyone shed light on its touring capacity? I’m unsure of the head angle, but the chainstays are about 41.7 or so.

Ken Robb
02-10-2004, 01:30 PM
go to the iBob and touring lists for the kind of info you seek. If you plan on loaded touring w/camping gear you will probably want a real touring bike to prevent wobbles. If you mean credit card touring with minimal clothing in a large saddle bag this might work. How much YOU weigh also effects the answer. If you google Bridgestone you should find the site.

dbrk
02-10-2004, 01:59 PM
I would not weight this bike with more than 20lbs or so. It will flex awfully in the bottom bracket, a bike not really made for loaded riding. You'd be better off with a handlebar bag, like a Berthoud or Carradice, and then a saddlebag, just to keep weight off the stays.

As for parts you will need to match a few French fittings, such as the bottom bracket. Depending on the rear spacing you may well be able to use a TA Cyclotouriste (the 5vis) and the etoille fitting if you need more clearance for the arms (if you're not sure what that is, I'm happy to explain).

This is a perfectly fine bike and if you have pictures or questions, I'd be happy to help. Also, Ken's wise suggestion to milk the iBOB is a good idea. Over there you will find ordinary curmudgeons with a keen eye for such beauty.

dbrk

bcm119
02-10-2004, 11:24 PM
Thanks dbrk, I'm inclined to believe you about the BB being too flexy to carry any weight. I think I'll just build it with a double crank and keep the single pivot Weinmann brakes, I really like the white paint on them. Unfortunately the old white Stronglight crank is bent, and the BB was in bad shape. But I was able to get them off and take that BB out, and surprisingly it was english, and a new campy BB fit perfectly- it must have been one of the first years Peugeot went over to english BBs. The only expensive things it needs are shifters and a new pair of open pros built for it, and a nice shiny quill stem... this will be alot of fun!

gdw
02-11-2004, 11:29 AM
Is your frame a Ventoux by any chance? I had one which had a dark blue frame with stripes, internal lugs, and white components. The cranks were made by Stronglight, brakes by Wienmann, derailleurs by Huret and Sachs, and the hubs were the dreaded Maillard Helicomatics. It rode very well and was a great century bike on flat courses. The frame was quite comfortable and really soaked up the bumps. The downside to this was that it was very flexable and on steep standing climbs would auto shift. I weighed about 160 and mine was a mid sized frame, 56cm maybe. It was a fun bike but not one for heavy weights or sport touring.