PDA

View Full Version : I need Hub opinions

Mr Cabletwitch
07-17-2011, 11:48 AM
I am going to have a set of wheels built up for my classic serotta. I want to go with a high quality hub laced to Mavic Open Pro 32h rims. I am considering Hope Pro 3 hubs but have no experience with them. Let me know what you think, here is a pic of the bike they will go on. I just sold one of my mountain bikes for $600 bucks so I'm working within that budget. I will have my LBS build the wheels and they usually give me pretty good deals.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/248970_1840731610330_1001751655_31654656_4729360_n .jpg

thwart
07-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Shimano Ultegra hubs are probably the most cost-effective option.

Not hyped much, but durable and relatively light.

mgm777
07-17-2011, 12:32 PM
+1. Go with Ultegra. Smart move. Solid, smooth, reasonable, light enough.

Hardlyrob
07-17-2011, 01:10 PM
Ultegras work great. I've also had great luck with a set of wheels Ergott built on White Industries hubs - smooth, quiet and still true three years later.

FWIW

Rob

Louis
07-17-2011, 01:34 PM
I've found that Ultegra hubs work well for a long time, but I do have one issue with them: Not all of the bearing wear surfaces are replaceable. The cones and the bearings, obviously, are easy. When it comes to the cups it may be possible, but that appears to be a tough job.

So if you think that your rim and spokes are going to last a long time, to the point where they outlast the hub, then you might consider a hub that allows you to replace all the bearing surfaces.

Gummee
07-17-2011, 01:39 PM
I'm still riding a couple of wheels that were built 15-20 years ago. 600 hub in one case and a Mavic 501 in the other.

D/A or Ultegra hubs are some seriously long-lasting hubs. ...best of all... you can rebuild em again and again and again.

M

Mr Cabletwitch
07-17-2011, 01:57 PM
I have had tons of ultegra hubs and while I never had a complaint I want to go with something a bit more flashy, not to mention I'm anti shimano. The only bikes I have that are still shimano are 8 speed bikes because that was the last time they built good drivetrain. I do have a set of open pros now built on ultegra hubs that helped prompt this upgrade, but I'm still looking to do something different.

I was looking into the White Industries Hubs but even those are going to push the price limit to its max or beyond.

FixedNotBroken
07-17-2011, 01:58 PM
Go with DT240s or CKs..both bomb proof and sexy :)

Mr Cabletwitch
07-17-2011, 02:18 PM

Do you think the Kings are worth the extra money over the White Industries? I kinda like the idea of a quiet hub and silver is the color I'll probably go with.

FixedNotBroken
07-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Do you think the Kings are worth the extra money over the White Industries? I kinda like the idea of a quiet hub and silver is the color I'll probably go with.

I had the R45s and the only reason why I sold the wheelset is because I use Campy, that's the ONLY reason. They are local (I have a friend who lives in Portland and works there) and they are great. BUT, if you want something super quiet, the R45s do sound like a bee buzzing, it's quite unique but enjoyable! White Industries are great but I just enjoy the longevity/durability of certain hubs and CKs and DTs are hubs I will always recommend. They are worth the extra dollar, you get what you pay for.

FixedNotBroken
07-17-2011, 02:22 PM
They make an R45 in silver, and it's GUCCI. Plus, they will go well with the Open Pros. Of course, they are Shimano/SRAM splined.

Mr Cabletwitch
07-17-2011, 02:42 PM
They make an R45 in silver, and it's GUCCI. Plus, they will go well with the Open Pros. Of course, they are Shimano/SRAM splined.

I noticed thoser R45s, but I can't see my $600 budget getting them, I think that might get me those hubs but I still need wheels and spokes. I'm hoping to find a used set of silver or black Kings so I can stay within my budget. Otherwise I don't think I can swing Kings.

FixedNotBroken
07-17-2011, 02:45 PM
My bad, I thought just hubs! They hold their value so finding them cheap might be hard. I'll be on the lookout.

spamjoshua
07-17-2011, 03:29 PM
There are many great hubs, lighter than shimano/campy, sealed, no question I love the DT, the King (not the noise), White Ind, etc.

The Ultegra are smooth, hold up well, and hoenestly... Can be silent.

Joshua

Ken Robb
07-17-2011, 03:59 PM
what is the rest of the drivetrain?

bike22
07-17-2011, 04:10 PM
just buy a set of ultegra/open pro wheels and be done with it.

Mr Cabletwitch
07-17-2011, 04:22 PM
what is the rest of the drivetrain?
SRAM rival

sjbraun
07-17-2011, 05:17 PM
See Fairwheel's website for details

Lots of info here:

http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=6940

Mr Cabletwitch
07-17-2011, 05:51 PM
See Fairwheel's website for details

Lots of info here:

http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=6940
ThAnks that just makes me really hope I can get the wi hubs in my budget

Olmo
07-18-2011, 02:40 AM
SRAM rival

Since you're using SRAM Rival, anything freewheel is out, which means well more than half of the great beautiful hubs are out of consideration.

Phil Wood hubs are the ubiquitous recommendation, but other than the Phil Wood 'Riv' hubs Grant had them make, they just don't have the panache that a nice classic steel ride deserves.

Great modern freewheel hubs? Not a lot of choices are there?

American Classic? Long forgotten but the Mavic 571/2 (Good luck finding these in HG)? Now that I think about it, there just aren't that many 'good' hub choices these days, are there?

Too bad SRAM doesn't get into the hub business. I say chuck the SRAM drivetrain and switch to Campy so you can use Campy hubs. Problem solved, eh?

oldpotatoe
07-18-2011, 07:44 AM
I am going to have a set of wheels built up for my classic serotta. I want to go with a high quality hub laced to Mavic Open Pro 32h rims. I am considering Hope Pro 3 hubs but have no experience with them. Let me know what you think, here is a pic of the bike they will go on. I just sold one of my mountain bikes for $600 bucks so I'm working within that budget. I will have my LBS build the wheels and they usually give me pretty good deals.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/248970_1840731610330_1001751655_31654656_4729360_n .jpg

Ultegra or DA hubs laced to DT 415 rim front and 465 rear..better hubs and rims than those mentioned, IMHO.

oldpotatoe
07-18-2011, 07:45 AM

$600 wheelset budget..good luck with DT or CK hubs and that.

oldpotatoe
07-18-2011, 07:48 AM
Since you're using SRAM Rival, anything freewheel is out, which means well more than half of the great beautiful hubs are out of consideration.

Phil Wood hubs are the ubiquitous recommendation, but other than the Phil Wood 'Riv' hubs Grant had them make, they just don't have the panache that a nice classic steel ride deserves.

Great modern freewheel hubs? Not a lot of choices are there?

American Classic? Long forgotten but the Mavic 571/2 (Good luck finding these in HG)? Now that I think about it, there just aren't that many 'good' hub choices these days, are there?

Too bad SRAM doesn't get into the hub business. I say chuck the SRAM drivetrain and switch to Campy so you can use Campy hubs. Problem solved, eh?

Fairwheel, not freewheel

Alchemy hubs, altho really nice, are pri$ey

forrestw
07-18-2011, 08:17 AM
My Campy Centaur rear hub is one of the best-designed pieces of machinery I've used, I'm sure Record is that much nicer and should be in budget.

Germany_chris
07-18-2011, 08:30 AM
The only reason for no Shimano is you want a bit of bling right?

Well you have 600 now so pick up the hubs, in a month or so pick up your rims, and then a month or so later have them built..

A23's are $54 each at *Gag* AE bike

Spokes and lacing $125

Plus whatever highend hubs cost.

Mr Cabletwitch
07-18-2011, 08:48 AM
The only reason for no Shimano is you want a bit of bling right?

Well you have 600 now so pick up the hubs, in a month or so pick up your rims, and then a month or so later have them built..

A23's are $54 each at *Gag* AE bike

Spokes and lacing $125

Plus whatever highend hubs cost.

I'm actually toying around with this idea of just dropping the dough for the hubs and waiting however I'm pretty impatient. I hope to get to the LBS today and if it came come in close to the 600 mark I think I'll go with the White Industries. I love the fact that they are built in the USA just like my frame.

scottyjames
07-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Follow your bliss on this one.

White Industries.

(sigh)

d_man16
07-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Seems like your mind is set on the wi....right? If not check out the ultegra option....very practical and they work like a champ. In my experience ride quality has not been diminished by choosing ultegra or xt over dt, king or xtr. Since the mass is so close to the point of rotation a few grams on the hub won't set you back. Toss some more thought into rotating mass on the rim.

Those loose ball systems are not as sexy sounding as sealed systems, yet they work really well. I've got a old pair of 600's that are nearly as old as me and they still spin true...If you wear out the ultegra's in the next ten years, I'll toss you my old pair. ;)
If you'd like bling then up your budget- There are lots of pretty options out there but they are going to be expensive.

Good luck on your decision

~D

Mr Cabletwitch
07-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Thanks for everybody's opinions. I'm trying to swing a deal on some used Kings in black and if that doesn't work I think I'm just gonna go with White Industries.

Thanks again, you all were a big help

dekindy
07-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Shimano Ultegra hubs are probably the most cost-effective option.

Not hyped much, but durable and relatively light.

My sentiments exactly. PLUS when they are properly lubricated they are very quiet.

sbparker31
07-18-2011, 08:34 PM
White industries hubs are hard to beat for the price. I am going on 8 years on a set, and just as nice as the day I bought them.