PDA

View Full Version : Best way to box/ship wheels?

kramnnim
07-17-2011, 08:20 AM
I've shipped several frames before, but never wheels by themselves. What is the best way to package them? Another forum member suggested a wheel box made for the job, measuring 25x25x8. Looks like anything bigger costs about double the shipping cost. I can't see how two wheels can fit in such a small box, though...is there some trick to it? I have a 26x26x20+ that I could cut down, but it would have to be 7" to get the cheaper shipping...and I can't imagine that would work, unless the axles bulge out...?

BlackTiBob
07-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Real wheel box has top and bottom pieces of cardboard with slots for each wheel. These hold wheels perfectly in place/ perfectly spaced.
Skewers are removed and there are slots in spacer cardboard for them.

No cassette so wheels are narrower.
See if your local bike shop has a spare one or one to look at with wheels in it.
Works great.

kramnnim
07-17-2011, 05:07 PM
Gah, I'm stupid and assumed USPS would cost a lot...but parcel post is cheap, even for 30x30x9, which leaves plenty of room for padding.

ultraman6970
07-17-2011, 05:16 PM
U can trash any box but, rim, wheels and frame boxes :D

cmg
07-17-2011, 06:17 PM
Get a bike box, cut it down to size 25"x8"x25" Take the scraps if there the lenght of the box and cut 2 panels that will fit inside the box, cut 2 slots (18"x3/4" slot) at a slightly diagonal usually about 1 3/4"-2" apart. Place the wheelset in the slots. the rear freehub will fit between the spokes of the front wheel, face it towards the inside of the box were it crosses through the spokes of the front wheel. Place additional cardboard spacers between the rims to hold then in place, cardboard the outside of the hubs so they won't puncher the box. Filling the box with styrofoam popcorn or bundled newpaper isn't enough. Cardboard with slots to hold the rims in place works much better. If there is room around the box, place a cardboard spacer the width of the interior of the box around the wheelset, keeps the box from collasping around them.

Dekonick
07-17-2011, 08:30 PM
And ask your LBS is they have any of the little plastic disks that you insert into the hub in place of the removed skewers - helps reinforce the box just that little bit more...