PDA

View Full Version : Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to Patagonia, Argentina

msplette
07-17-2011, 12:32 AM
This summer I am working in Alaska and the Yukon as a tour director for Holland America. I get to travel all over Alaska and the Yukon and see some amazing things along the way. I also have a great opportunity to meet some equally amazing people. I have not been able to ride over the past few month, so I try to live vicariously through the cyclists I see along the highway. A few weeks ago in Denali, I ran into a guy named Greg, he was riding an orange Surly completely loaded down with gear. Being the wanna-be cyclist that I am, I had to find out where he was headed. Over a few beers and pizza I found out he is riding from Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to the southern tip of Argentina. A trip that he has estimated to take 2 years to complete. He is taking his time, meeting new people, visiting friends, and seeing everything between Alaska and Argentina. I come to find out he has been keeping a blog about his journey so far. I assumed some of you may have a similar goal or may have done a similar route, so I figured I would post the link to his blog incase anyone had any interest.

http://gregmu.wordpress.com/

Cheers
Michael

Louis
07-17-2011, 12:40 AM
Wow. That is a heck of a ride.

All the rest of us with 9-5 desk jobs can only stand in awe. Just having the type of personality willing to "wing it" in that sort way, to just ride into the unknown like that, is way, way outside my reference frame.

Let's hope Greg makes it safely to his destination, wherever that may be.

1happygirl
07-17-2011, 12:52 AM
Wow thanks for posting!

I believe the Alaska to Argentina was the first route that the Take a Seat Guy (from the Series name) did prior to the take a seat ride across America. I think it took him 1.5-2 years also.

Awesome!

thwart
07-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Having crossed the steppes of southern Argentina by bus on the way to Patagonia, I can't imagine doing that section. Steady winds of 30-40 mph, no cover as far as the eye can see...

We did see a couple of groups of cyclists, and wondered what kind of mileage you'd expect to do on a day when you push that kind of headwind.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fa/Patagonian_plains_argentina.jpg/800px-Patagonian_plains_argentina.jpg

BengeBoy
07-17-2011, 11:09 AM
I followed the family Vogel's blog, starting in 2008, from Alaska to Argentina. They believe their 2 kids (I think they were 12 when they started) are the two youngest cyclists ever to complete the journey.

Lots of adventures along the way....one of the things I liked about their journey is that they made several long stops along the way to see the sites, recover, make repairs, etc.

The sections through Peru seemed like very tough cycling (heat, desert, no services, traffic); and I think they were battered by incessant winds in Patagonia.

http://familyonbikes.org/blog/2011/03/ushuaia-end-of-the-world/

d_man16
07-17-2011, 11:10 AM
That seems like an epic ride- Wow I wish that I had the sauce to do something like that. If you find yourself in stopping in Juneau send me a pm it sounds like you need a ride :beer:

Smiley
07-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Wow thanks for posting!

I believe the Alaska to Argentina was the first route that the Take a Seat Guy (from the Series name) did prior to the take a seat ride across America. I think it took him 1.5-2 years also.

Awesome!

Yes, just finshed reading his juourney and passed the book to a friend. Doing it with a loaded tandem solo at times was more interesting

msplette
07-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Greg is definitely in for a long journey. I am sure the most difficult roads are still ahead of him. Still a very inspiring story, and a great guy too.

d_man16, I was just in Juneau a few days ago! (so was Greg, he was taking time off the saddle to visit some friends. I ran into him while I was walking downtown by Foggy Mountain Shop) If i get a chance to make it back down to Juneau I will for sure contact you. I am definitely in need of a ride!

msl819
07-17-2011, 01:33 PM
I am definitely in need of a ride!

With all the beer and pizza and the "tips" you are receiving while on tour, you may be in need of a couple of rides!!!