flydhest
07-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Ain't over but voekler is a bad ass

Vientomas
07-16-2011, 10:23 AM
One word: boring.

Dave B
07-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Give the little guy credit though, he hung with the big dogs!

I still would love to see Cadel take it all!

acorn_user
07-16-2011, 10:33 AM
That was a good ride by Voeckler, but the stage was a bit of a damp squib. The Schlecks are going to have to put some time into Cadel Evans if they want to win the GC....

tv_vt
07-16-2011, 10:36 AM
Agree. Evans is sitting pretty. Can cream Schlecks in the TT and has a 2 minute headstart over Contador. Voeckler is amazing. I'm rooting for him to pull the upset of the decade.

Schlecks lost an opportunity. Andy seemed to have a lot in the tank at the end.

flydhest
07-16-2011, 10:43 AM
I don't see how that was a boring stage. Andy attacked several times and didn't get away. That makes for little change in the standings, but I thought it was great drama. Ivan Basso tried to play a card. I have to say I was a big fan before he got popped and had the two year timeout. He doesn't seem to have it anymore, but it was good to see him working at the front.

I thought Cadel showed amazing form by responding to accelerations. I always thought of him as really good, but outgunned by the sharp attacks of the purer climbers. Today, he stepped it up.

I thought it was a great stage to watch.

harlond
07-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Ain't over but voekler is a bad assAnd let's not forget Pierre Rolland, who has been a revelation the last three days.

gianni
07-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Great stage!

Although voekler rode courageous, he rides like a parasite --IMO. If he would have forced the gc riders to close-down the accelerations, perhaps we would have seen a move that stuck.

I liked how basso rode and evan's even had a digg. Can't wait for the alps. Evan's is the real deal and contador is getting better.

thegunner
07-16-2011, 11:09 AM
I thought Cadel showed amazing form by responding to accelerations. I always thought of him as really good, but outgunned by the sharp attacks of the purer climbers. Today, he stepped it up.

we saw the same race, yet in my eyes cadel pussyfooted his way through this stage (for the most part outside of the last km). all the other favorites did something. all cadel did was follow wheels. not very exciting and not exactly what most think of when talking about a (potential) grand tour champ.

cadel's basically an australian version of levi.

William
07-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Frank didn't seem to be feeling it so the old "one-two" wasn't working.

It would be cool if TV holds onto it all the way. Long shot I know, but it would be cool to see.

William

Fixed
07-16-2011, 11:19 AM
tough day for the riders here is one resting after todays stage

rice rocket
07-16-2011, 11:43 AM
I don't see how that was a boring stage. Andy attacked several times and didn't get away. That makes for little change in the standings, but I thought it was great drama. Ivan Basso tried to play a card. I have to say I was a big fan before he got popped and had the two year timeout. He doesn't seem to have it anymore, but it was good to see him working at the front.

Attacks with 200m to go to the top of a climb doesn't really strike me as heroic, dramatic, or any permutation of the above.

I'm hoping the Alps will bring better action, or maybe Clenbutador is really struggling w/o his transfusions. ;)

bicycletricycle
07-16-2011, 11:50 AM
voekler for president.

seems like everyone is waiting for the alps to go all in. I am sure that the brothers and contador could have left most of the bunch behind if they wanted to but unless they can put time between each other what is the point.

I am getting impatient to see this sort itself out.

hairylegs
07-16-2011, 11:58 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed it. Good drama and intrigue. TV is my hero for sure.

Wilkinson4
07-16-2011, 12:00 PM
> Andy seemed to have a lot in the tank at the end

Agreed.... If you want it go get it and lay it on the line. Don't ask others to work, or Voekler to cover moves. I don't see anybody riding like a champ yet.

mIKE

btw: What has happened to Roman? He seemed on track for a top 5 soon...

Ray
07-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Far from boring in my eyes. Seeing TV cover some of those attacks when he was supposed to be halfway down the mountain isn't boring to me. If these guys aren't gonna drop him here, where are they going to? I'm sure Cadel can take more than the necessary time in a TT, but I'm becoming a huge Voekler fan this week.

That said, I think the thing that's missing is a really strong Contador. If he was on it, he'd have gone a couple of times today and there would have been a real sorting out. Andy may have been able to go with him, Cadel would fight like a mutha, but probably lose some time, Voekler would probably have fought like hell but then cracked big time. But Alberto clearly doesn't feel it and I think he's just doing his best to follow wheels hoping he'll come into form in the Alps. I'm not betting on it, but I wouldn't be shocked either.

-Ray

Rueda Tropical
07-16-2011, 12:44 PM
But Alberto clearly doesn't feel it and I think he's just doing his best to follow wheels hoping he'll come into form in the Alps. I'm not betting on it, but I wouldn't be shocked either.

-Ray

You would think the Schlecks would want to stick to AC now before that can happen. Andy better start feeling that anger in his stomach soon.

jr59
07-16-2011, 01:12 PM
IMO; Today the big guns of this years tour, just seem to wait on each other to try something.

Frank and Andy didn't really have their heart into the early digs.
AC just hung around and mostly covered.

Cadel Evans is just there, didn't do to much by way of attacks.
They all just sort of waited until another tried and no one did.

I guess they think they will be stronger or have a better chance latter on.

Jason E
07-16-2011, 01:29 PM
I think Contador is getting better daily. He was not as lopsided in his pedal strokes covering the gaps today, and gets two more days now to rest. I think he's still a big threat.

Evans and Voekler did it right, covering moves. Voekler just does not want to lose the jersey, and Evans knows he's got a big TT coming.

I think it was on Basso [marginally] and the Schlecks to make today a day.

I enjoyed it, but I always do! :)

gasman
07-16-2011, 01:35 PM
I thought it was a good stage and not boring in my mind. I think it showed that all the GC contenders are pretty closely matched, nobody was able to clearly pull away. I thought the Tour was more boring when one rider was clearly stronger and the only question was how much of a time gap will he have in Paris ? Maybe there is less doping ? Maybe they all have close to the same program ?

I think back to '04 when Voekler did the same thing -hang in with the yellow jersey for longer than anyone expected. The difference is now he he is a stronger, smarter more experienced rider. I love it.

rice rocket
07-16-2011, 01:53 PM
I think it showed that all the GC contenders are pretty closely matched, nobody was able to clearly pull away.

Nobody TRIED to pull away. Did any "attacks" last longer than 10 seconds? I fell asleep after the first hour, I'll catch the re-run later tonight.

Wilkinson4
07-16-2011, 01:57 PM
I want to see someone commit and not be afraid to do so. 10 seconds digs don't make for a good tour imo. Not a fan of AC but he would if he could.

I think TD is the hero for sure. Trying his best to cover breaks... But greatness isn't covering breaks, its breaking those who cover.

mIKE

ps. Got bit by a dog on the bike path today!!!

Fixed
07-16-2011, 02:25 PM
I thought it was a good stage and not boring in my mind. I think it showed that all the GC contenders are pretty closely matched, nobody was able to clearly pull away. I thought the Tour was more boring when one rider was clearly stronger and the only question was how much of a time gap will he have in Paris ? Maybe there is less doping ? Maybe they all have close to the same program ?

I think back to '04 when Voekler did the same thing -hang in with the yellow jersey for longer than anyone expected. The difference is now he he is a stronger, smarter more experienced rider. I love it.
+ 1 (t.v.) he was the strongest rider today imho
and he has a great team /mate ..
ugly style sometimes on the bike though
cheers

MadRocketSci
07-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Nobody TRIED to pull away. Did any "attacks" last longer than 10 seconds? I fell asleep after the first hour, I'll catch the re-run later tonight.

+1. Can those really be called attacks? They're more like probing jabs, trying to see if anyone is about to fall over and die. But at some point, if you want to win the tour (except for Cadel), you're gonna have to go for it and ride the rest off your wheel. Accelerating for 10 seconds, and then dropping back to 7mph so that everyone can recover, doesn't really count as a real attack in my book.

Or maybe drug-fueled attacks are just more better.

Add one to the boring column.

Elefantino
07-16-2011, 03:13 PM
Was about as exciting as watching NASCAR restrictor-plate racing.

Contador needs to import a whole mess of steaks from Spain and give them to all the contenders, too. Or Floyd needs to send them all some Jack Daniels. Or maybe they all need to be drug tested more times than any cyclist in history and never get caught.

Something. When the most excitement comes from two overcooks by Voigt, it is getting too much like NASCAR, waitin' for them wrecks 'n' stuff. Yeehaw.

firerescuefin
07-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Me as they hit the 1K to go.(see picture below)

Honestly, that was about as fulfilling as the last episode of Lost. Voeckler is the only one that gets a pass out of that group...and maybe Cadel, as he has little to gain at this point with time on some and TT skills on others. Schlecks...unimpressive.

Karin Kirk
07-16-2011, 04:16 PM
I was disappointed too. The biggest letdown moment was when Sanchez attacked and Andy went with him looking completely at ease. But moments later Sanchez was up the road by himself. Why didn't Andy go with him? As far as I could tell from my comfortable couch, he had enough gas in the tank to go along. I am wondering if the Schlecks lack the killer instinct? It's too bad because it seemed like they could have gained some real time today. They should be going after AC while they have the opportunity.

But the stage was saved by Voekler's continued impressiveness! Can you imagine just how psyched he's got to be? On the podium today Bernard Hinault seemed to have lots to say to him. Wouldn't you love to know what he was saying?

BdaGhisallo
07-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Well I give AS credit today for not waiting until 2km from the line to start his action. But, after witnessing all those surges (they didn't amount to attacks in my book), he lost all that credit. These Schleck girls seem to have the legs to win the race, but not the brains.

davidlee
07-16-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm sure hoping that Voeckler hangs onto the yellow until Paris.. Did you see Andy yelling at him to pull thru?? What a joke.. Why should he?
I just love seeing whose racing clean these days as opposed to the olden days. Pretty darn obvious..

Rueda Tropical
07-16-2011, 04:55 PM
I'm sure hoping that Voeckler hangs onto the yellow until Paris..

Wouldn't it be something if Contador and neither of the Schlecks made the podium! Long shot but it's been different then expected so far.

flydhest
07-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Attacks with 200m to go to the top of a climb doesn't really strike me as heroic, dramatic, or any permutation of the above.

I'm hoping the Alps will bring better action, or maybe Clenbutador is really struggling w/o his transfusions. ;)

What???
His move at the very end, I couldn't care less about. The other attacks he put in, though, were good racing and the others showed he didn't have it.

Who would think that that last little surge is heroic?

10 second efforts? You lay down an attack and see if you can get a gap. Bit others are on your wheel right away and you are closely Mather, you don't keep going and blow yourself up. If was good racing and Andy found out he didn't have the juice to gap people and go alone. Bead for me, since I was rooting for him. I can't see how one cannot credit him for trying, though. Co tarot, on the other hand, was hanging on.

Cuddles rode smart, given his TT ability. Nevertheless, watching the replay, I noticed a surge he put in, too, after he had bridged an effort.

It was good racing with no one being dominant yet. The Alps will be interesting. If Contador is building, then it will be a shooting match that I will be screwed to my couch for.

noflysonme
07-16-2011, 05:17 PM
I thought there would some major attacks today

because tomorrow is a rest day for the climbers.

I hope the Schlecks didn't blow it because AC looks as

if he is getting stronger. AC was boxed in a few times and I

figured that was when a Schleck would go but I am only an

armchair team director. Cadel and TV are looking good too.

cloudguy
07-16-2011, 06:40 PM
+1

I'm tired of all the whining armchair critiques. If AS could have gotten away, he would have. Climbing 15,000 ft in one day is hard, let alone 3 days in a row.

victoryfactory
07-16-2011, 07:03 PM
It's a three week race.
There are tactics to be played
It's HARD
They will save as much as they can till the alps stages which are
brutal this year.
maybe they are not all doping so one "heroic" escapade can loose it for
you the next day
Voekler is awesome, but he can't win it all so he's going as hard as he can
for as long as he can while the GC contenders have to be more careful.

Boring? hardly. The TDF is the greatest sporting event on the planet but like
baseball or cricket (they stop for tea!) it has to be taken as a whole. Those
guys are not there to entertain us, they are there to win.
Enjoy the chess game.

Karin Kirk
07-16-2011, 07:07 PM
OK, OK, whatever. But what about the fines and penalties from today's race? Check out the last one.

Jury decisions

Haimar Zubeldia (RadioShack), Kristjan Koren (Liquigas), Hubert Dupont (Ag2r): all 50CHF fine, 5 points penalty and 10-second penalty for pulling on car

Steve Morabito (BMC), 50CHF fine for irregular feed

DS Bingen Fernandez (Garmin-Cervélo), Dimitri Sedoun (Astana), each 200CHF fine for not following instructions of commissaires

Thomas Voeckler (Europcar), 100CHF for public urination :no:

rice rocket
07-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Haha, those are pretty weak fines. 50-100 CHF? $61-122 USD? No wonder why people keep committing these, there's almost no consequences. If I crashed, I'd sure as hell hold onto a car for $100 if it meant not losing 10 minutes off my overall time.

What did James Harrison get fined last year, $125,000? Ray Lewis got a $250,000 fine, but he also killed someone. :rolleyes:

jr59
07-16-2011, 07:50 PM
Haha, those are pretty weak fines. 50-100 CHF? $61-122 USD? No wonder why people keep committing these, there's almost no consequences. If I crashed, I'd sure as hell hold onto a car for $100 if it meant not losing 10 minutes off my overall time.

What did James Harrison get fined last year, $125,000? Ray Lewis got a $250,000 fine, but he also killed someone. :rolleyes:

Don't let facts get in the way of your point! :no:

Ray Lewis was never even charged with murder.

rounder
07-16-2011, 10:16 PM
I thought today was a good race. Hoping for Andy and Frank to win, but all of the contenders were there at the end. Maybe, with all of the focus on drugs this year, this is what the racing is supposed to look like if they are racing clean. Hope so...this is a good race. Go teams Garmin and Leopard.

firerescuefin
07-16-2011, 10:37 PM
It's a three week race.
There are tactics to be played
It's HARD
They will save as much as they can till the alps stages which are
brutal this year.
maybe they are not all doping so one "heroic" escapade can loose it for
you the next day
Voekler is awesome, but he can't win it all so he's going as hard as he can
for as long as he can while the GC contenders have to be more careful.

Boring? hardly. The TDF is the greatest sporting event on the planet but like
baseball or cricket (they stop for tea!) it has to be taken as a whole. Those
guys are not there to entertain us, they are there to win.
Enjoy the chess game.

If your the Schlecks, you have to take time where you can...it's a 3 week race... that we are nearly 2 weeks into.....They both looked to be on good form today, and you better take time out of Cadel, which at this point looks easier said than done. You don't know when your bad day(s) are going to come, and tomorrow is essentially a recovery day.

This is not about entertaining me, it's about taking your shot to win. Quite a few greats were also critical of the contenders (particularly the Schlecks). Your team is strong, your brother is healthy and willing to lay it on the line...time to Man up.

prometheus20
07-16-2011, 10:41 PM
I think the reason the Schlecks weren't so effective is because Basso set such a fierce steady pace for much of the climb. It was tough to effectively execute their trade mark sudden accelerations. For that matter same goes for Contador- if he even had the form to do it today. Voekler also put in a couple steady accelerations. Seems like either Basso or Voekler picked up the pace whenever the Schlecks or Contador started looking around and playing cat and mouse.

Lifelover
07-16-2011, 10:42 PM
I think is was a typically "first week in the mountain" stage. Even in the Lance/PEDs error there was always a dat like this when I assumed "statements" would be made and they weren't.

Somebody will lay the hammer down nest week. I just hope the strike lands firmly on AC's head.

victoryfactory
07-17-2011, 05:12 AM
If your the Schlecks, you have to take time where you can...it's a 3 week race... that we are nearly 2 weeks into.....They both looked to be on good form today, and you better take time out of Cadel, which at this point looks easier said than done. You don't know when your bad day(s) are going to come, and tomorrow is essentially a recovery day.

This is not about entertaining me, it's about taking your shot to win. Quite a few greats were also critical of the contenders (particularly the Schlecks). Your team is strong, your brother is healthy and willing to lay it on the line...time to Man up.

Could be, but maybe Cadel is scaring them just now
as he has not shown any weakness.
Maybe that was the best they could do in that stage?
Maybe A Schlek's last minute mini attack was the best he
could do because he knew Cadel could follow which would
have accomplished nothing. So Andy is waiting
One thing is sure: If they don't get rid of him in the
Alps, he can get them in the TT

I love the TDF!

VF

Climb01742
07-17-2011, 06:23 AM
two quick thoughts:

if alberto is ailing (apparently his knee) then maybe the schleckies missed a chance to distance him further. if AC's knee improves...

sammy sanchez could be the sleeper. he can climb and his team is built for the mountains to support him.

CNY rider
07-17-2011, 06:37 AM
two quick thoughts:

sammy sanchez could be the sleeper. he can climb and his team is built for the mountains to support him.

Absolutely. They better be paying attention to this guy. He looks very strong.

thinpin
07-17-2011, 06:38 AM
Thomas Voeckler (Europcar), 100CHF for public urination :no: :crap:

Coffers are lean, can only be revenue raising tactic

Rueda Tropical
07-17-2011, 07:19 AM
If Contador recovers in time for the Alps the Schlecks can look back at stage 14 as the place they lost the race. This was their chance to bury Contador when he was not at 100% and they decided not to risk it hoping someone else would lead the way. In the mean time they have improved the chances of several other GC contenders that might have lost big time in an all out attack.

The Schlecks seem not willing to risk anything even when the cards are stacked in their favor. Andy looking around for Frank when Frank dropped off the back. Making short accelerations and looking around asking others to do what you should be doing when they have no interest in making the race for you.

Not the stuff of legends. I hope they get their asses kicked.

CPP
07-17-2011, 08:01 AM
If Contador recovers in time for the Alps the Schlecks can look back at stage 14 as the place they lost the race. This was their chance to bury Contador when he was not at 100% and they decided not to risk it hoping someone else would lead the way. In the mean time they have improved the chances of several other GC contenders that might have lost big time in an all out attack.

+100%

Climb01742
07-17-2011, 08:12 AM
i wonder how much, if any, of the conservative racing is due to non-EPO-fuelled racers? for the last 10-15 years we grew accustomed to 'super-human' accelerations in the mountains. like we'll never see 70 homers in a season again in baseball, will we ever see mountain days like those from the pantani to lance era?

that said, yesterday could turn out to be a massive blown opportunity.

William
07-17-2011, 08:45 AM
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I don't think Frank was feeling it. He couldn't answer the last couple of surges. Andy either didn't want to make a go alone, or didn't want to burn off his brother. If both brothers aren't near 100%, the old one-two that they try to rely on just doesn't work.

Just my thought.

William

BlackTiBob
07-17-2011, 08:56 AM
rueda tropical,
I agree 100%. Andy and Frank (or just Andy) should have tried to put more time on Contador in stage 14.
AC doesn't seem to be in full form yet they haven't put more time on him. That could come back to haunt them.

It's like a boxer that has an opponent on the ropes but doesn't finish them off. It has to up AC's confidence as he hangs in there and as he "recovers", the Schlecks could still be in trouble by playing it too conservative.

1centaur
07-17-2011, 09:11 AM
Frank, per CyclingNews:

"Andy was very strong and it was perfect. I told him to go and when to wait and we had really good communication, but it's just a pity we couldn't take time out of anybody, but that's how it is. There's still a lot of days to come."

I told him to go and when to wait? Bernard Hinault must be slapping his forehead with his palm.

Wilkinson4
07-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Frank, per CyclingNews:
I told him to go and when to wait? Bernard Hinault must be slapping his forehead with his palm.

No doubt. What part of attack do they not understand? Is it just me but does Cadel's reaction time to the accelerations seem late. He seems to get boxed in or he just doesn't pay attention and then has to put in a super hard effort to get back on.

mIKE

Ray
07-17-2011, 09:31 AM
People seem to think Contador's relative problems stem from his knee and the accumulated beating he took in crashes the first week. My guess is he was just riding at such an incredible peak level in the Giro that he's not capable of that in two grand tours about two months apart. I think Contador at 80% is still enough to ride WITH any of these guys in the mountains, but it takes Contador at near 100% to ride AWAY from everyone in the mountains. I just don't think he's riding at has high a level as he did in the Giro or did in the 2009 Tour. It true that he didn't have quite AS much competition in the Giro, but those guys were no slouches and he just rode away from them on virtually every mountain stage. It was something to see. He SHOULDN'T be able to ride that well in back to back grand tours. And of course if he comes good and explodes on everyone in the Alps, I'll take it all back. I personally like the guy and would love to see it - but I'll be very surprised if it happens.

-Ray

1centaur
07-17-2011, 09:42 AM
+1.

Giro, knee, lack of team, saddle sores...and he's 7th looking for 5th due mostly to bad luck with two time-sapping crash delays. Huge talent.

rice rocket
07-17-2011, 11:15 AM
Schlecks are gonna get crushed in the time trial as usual. They better pull some cards out soon or else it'll be a repeat of last year.

Fixed
07-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Frank, per CyclingNews:

"
lemond waited
cheers

Wilkinson4
07-17-2011, 06:13 PM
lemond waited
cheers

For the Badger? Yup he did:D

mIKE

flydhest
07-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Schlecks are gonna get crushed in the time trial as usual. They better pull some cards out soon or else it'll be a repeat of last year.

http://www.letour.fr/2010/TDF/LIVE/us/1900/classement/index.html

31 seconds is getting crushed?

harlond
07-18-2011, 01:27 PM
i wonder how much, if any, of the conservative racing is due to non-EPO-fuelled racers? for the last 10-15 years we grew accustomed to 'super-human' accelerations in the mountains. like we'll never see 70 homers in a season again in baseball, will we ever see mountain days like those from the pantani to lance era?

that said, yesterday could turn out to be a massive blown opportunity.This does not make sense to me. Unless you're going to posit that only Lance and Pantani obtained super-human results from doping, isn't universal doping as likely to result in conservative racing as universal non-doping? Is there a reason to believe that doping yields a greater disparity in relative strength of the contenders than non-doping? There might be, I don't know, that's why I'm asking. I understand that some people benefit more from doping than others, but while that might change who the contenders are, it doesn't necessarily mean that because of doping one contender will be stronger than all other contenders. Anyway, seems to me that aggressive racing stems from the belief of the racer either that he is in fact stronger than his competitors (whatever the reason) or that stronger or not (whatever the reason) he must ride aggressively to win.