PDA

View Full Version : 29'er snow tires

merckx
07-16-2011, 08:09 AM
I know that it is mid July, but I'm thinking ahead to winter riding. I have a 29'er single speed that I ride on dirt roads in the winter. I've got some Nokian studs for ice and such, but I'm looking for recommendations for a non-studded tire for my rig. I currently have Schwable Racing Ralphs on it. They are fine for hard pack conditions, but are terrible in snow. They have no bite in snow and they wash out as the tread packs with snow. Any recommendations?

merckx
10-21-2011, 06:11 AM
I am bumping this thread ahead now that we are on the cusp of November. Winter is forecasted to hit hard in the northeast in a couple of weeks. I want to be ready! Any recs on a good non-studded 29er tire?

SpeedyChix
10-21-2011, 07:29 AM
Take a look at the Kenda Klaw XT, they are front / rear specific). Wow, just did a quick search, it looks like they may not be available.

Haven't ridden the CST Caballero but it might be a substitute for above.

Maxxis Ignitor isn't too bad as a front in the snow, haven't ever tried it for a rear.

d_man16
10-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Limited selection and my limited experience

Nevegal up front
-and a-
Hans Dampf in the back if you can get your hands on one? I got a hold of one this spring.Haven't ridden it in the snow yet but it's damn good at spitting mudd and have great traction on loose dirt.

If not get another Nevegal for the back

Until Conti starts making the gravity in 29. These (And Survival Pro's that was the best tire ever made for snow mud) were my go to winter tires....I'm so glad they brought them back!

my $0.02

~D