PDA

View Full Version : Frame Paint Stripping --Need Help

gianni
07-15-2011, 10:37 PM
I need some insight from the experts on the forum...

I recently picked-up a fondriest x-status carb with the matte sticky paint. Anyway the sticky part of the paint is in sad shape with gouges etc. and I just can't get into the texture --it's too weird and sticky...

Can anyone weigh-in on whether I can strip the sticky portion of the paint with some sort of solvent (acetone) and maintain the black paint and details underneath?

Any ideas? Any help or would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Charles M
07-16-2011, 12:21 PM
No. you don't get to determine what depth the stripper stops working.

Wish there was a better answer but there's not when you specify "strip".

You can try and wet sand smooth the entire surface and have the frame cleared again.

ultraman6970
07-16-2011, 12:53 PM
I believe that frame is made of carbon, I would not use paint stripper or any type of solvent over that paint.

U can sand it tho, light sanding to even it out and etching it, primer it and paint with car paint. No laquer because It could burn the original paint that is still in the frame.

Correction, in the steel part of the frame u can use paint stripper, in the carbon part of the frame u have to sand. U can sand the whole frame and paint over it too, the issue with this are the decals.. after u primer and seal the frame the strickers will start to showing up, u have sand them to make the surface even, then paint.

Good luck.

cmg
07-16-2011, 11:18 PM
send it to joe bell have him strip it and repainted to match the flambouant Status-x of the previous year. The frame is steel, Deda 16.5 main triangle and 725 rear tri. beautiful frame.

trangalang
07-17-2011, 03:24 AM
I've used Aircraft Remover on one of my steel frames and it worked very well. Jasco also works pretty good. Spray it on, grab a beer, watch the paint begin to bubble, and it just flakes off when it's dry.

Costs around $6 per spray bottle and you can get it at places like Kragen.

But as ultraman said, any type of solvent + carbon may not be the best idea.

gianni
07-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Thanks to everyone for the input. I think the sanding option is the starting point and I can see what happens. Sending the frame to Joe looks promising too.

Cheers,